Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki

3 posters

Go down

Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki Empty Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki

Post  Wabi-Sabi Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:03 pm

Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki I-d4mWfpx-L

Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki I-r4cHkdR-L

Hello All,

Here are some pictures of what my research indicates is a Japanese Neo Valley chyrsanthemum pattern stone.  Any Chyrsanthemum stone
enthusiasts have an opinion on its likely origin?

The only similar small size chrysanthemum patterned stones with these particular colors, and qualities, that I can find examples of on the internet, is a stone at the Lora Robins Gallery of Design From Nature at the University of Richmond Museum, and the Moon Night Chrysanthemum Stone at the National Bonsai and Penjing Museum.  I have searched images on the internet, auction records, ebay, dealers sites, and can find nothing quite like it, other than the examples above. I bought this at the estate sale of a Japanese woman in California.

The only other examples I see with these well defined small flowers and the reddish brown, dark green, and black colors, come from Neo Valley, Gifu Japan.

I appreciate any informed opinions as to the likely origin of this stone. Thanks for taking a look!

Wabi-Sabi

Back to top Go down

Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki Empty Re: Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki

Post  Chris Cochrane Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:18 pm

Hi Wabi-Sabi...  I agree that your stone is a lovely Neo Valley specimen.  Its modest mounting displays the scenic mountain image to great effect.  The individiual blossoms have a distinctive small white center, surrounded by a pleasing dark center opening to to very white, fully surrounding petals.

For illustrations of numerous similar stones and clear explanation of the geologic formation & collection history, refer to the text of Dr. Tom Elias & Hiromi Nakoji Chrysanthemum Stones: The Story of Stone Flowers link HERE.  Tom & Hiromi illustrates a large processed mum stone (50 cm high x 35 cm wide) from their own collection with colors very similar to yours (figure 68, p. 76) & another stone from the National Bonsai & Penjing Museum/US National Arboretum Collection (figure 76, p. 83).  Each are similar in matrix color with distinctively dark centers for each blossom.

I live in Richmond VA and am familiar with the Lora Robins Collection stone, which has particular attraction for its separated white petals & exceptionally-broad dark centers for each blossom over a deep black matrix-- link HERE.  

Tom & Hiromi's book incorrectly identified the size of the massive "Night Moon" stone (figure 42, p.57) in the NBPM/USNA Collection.  It is  illustrated with size noted on the National Bonsai Foundation website-- link HERE.

Dr. Elias is generous in sharing knowledge of stones and is particularly expert in the field of worldwide chrysanthemum stone collecting.  You can reach him through the Viewing Stone Association of North America website-- link HERE-- which he manages with his wife Hiromi Nakaoji.

Last edited by Chris Cochrane on Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:14 pm; edited 5 times in total (Reason for editing : content & formatting clean-up)
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki Empty Re: Neodani Chrysanthemum Stone Suiseki

Post  Wabi-Sabi Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:37 pm

Many thanks Chris for your extremely detailed response! I really appreciate the links to the Neo Valley related information, and your taking the time to post that info here. Looking around, I'm beginning to see that this is a really great forum. Have a wonderful day.

Wabi-Sabi

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 10, 2015 6:22 pm

Wabi-Sabi wrote:Many thanks Chris for your extremely detailed response!  I really appreciate the links to the Neo Valley related information, and your taking the time to post that info here.  Looking around, I'm beginning to see that this is a really great forum. Have a wonderful day.

I thought you'd like it. <g>
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down