Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New stones

5 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

New stones - Page 2 Empty Re: New stones

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:30 pm

Hi Yvonne...  A stone recently posted on the thread titled "Patina equals only time... or"  is a good example of a stone displaying a mostly-open, partially-closed &  partially-healed crack with a chipped edge.  While the crack has some age, it hasn't healed to convey stone solidity.  The crack telegraphs a partial break in a stone which should be whole. Unfortunately, it is so obvious as to become a focal point for the viewer.

New stones - Page 2 Img_9311

For contemplative viewing, the stone is seriously flawed.

Last edited by Chris Cochrane on Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:50 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:43 am

For your information AUP

* not to use material posted on this site unless you have the express permission of the copyright holder (the author of the work, photographer of the photo or artist of the sketch)

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:38 am

Yvonne, please be aware of the following:

The AUP "rule" applies to pictures, comments etc taken from OUTSIDE of the forum, not those already posted therein. Its aim is to stop people posting items with the fraudulent intent of passing those images/comments etc off as their own.

To suggest that members mentioning/reposting other members' comments/images in furtherance of a discussion on a forum thread is an extension of the AUP is palpable nonsense. It would mean that every time someone Quoted another member's post and/or image they would be infringing the AUP.  

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:52 pm

mostly-open, partially-closed & partially-healed crack with a chipped edge. While the crack has some age, it hasn't healed

Adding absolutely nothing to this discussion, I have to ask: ". . . partially healed . . . ? Rocks 'heal?' How?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:49 pm

<...CHUCKLE...> You are right Jim. Cracks don't repair themselves in human time. During their formation in geological time, the material which forms rocks liquifies and lipidifies (solidifies). Surfaces shift, bend & break. A crack can fill with a single mineral (e.g., calcite) to form what suiseki enthusiasts perceive later as a waterfall feature. In geologic history, a crack can refill leaving visible trace with the same or similar rock (mixed mineral) material as its matrix. The visible trace of a filled crack in the formation of a stone is what I intended by "healed crack." Such a stone is accepted as solid & whole. In reality, a refilled crack can indicate a stone fault-line which can re-split exactly along the fill.

It is a good question, as the concept of a closed or open crack may also not be clear. A closed crack is so thin that it leaves little trace; you could not pass a sheet of note paper between sides of the closed crack. A closed crack (especially in a dark stone) might not be revealed until it is watered.

An open crack leaves a clearly visible gap.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

New stones - Page 2 Empty cracks in suiseki stones and watering.....

Post  Norma Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:38 pm

Hi fellow stone lovers...... I doubt  patina of a water stone can be made by watering unless it has generations to do so  but the display of potential suiseki stones in the sun gives the stone it's best light.  As Yvonne, I have most of my stones displayed on outside benches.  My city water is very hard and leaves marks but the rain and snow only brings out the natural color.    I must make note for new collectors......limestone suiseki which; bye the way, sport many cracks ,should not be left out.

Over the twenty something years I have collected stones....few become suiseki...but I bring home so many that are potential suiseki that "my yard runneth over".  My leftovers are becoming my toys!  I match stones and build little three stone sculptures with balance only!  

Please forgive my flight of fancy...about cracks in the stone!   I have read about old Japanese pots that get cracks and are repaired by filling the crack with gold.  But stones.. No Way??????

Happy regards,
Norma
Norma
Norma

Back to top Go down

Post  tsman Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:22 pm

Thanks Cris for upload the fotos.

I think both stones are not good for suiseki. I do not see them, so I put it on the 'waiting box' and I will take a look to them in some months, there are no hurry to make a decision. As Norma said, we need to pick some stones in order to decide what are the best ones to be suiseki.

tsman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2