Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cherry BUDS: I'm baffled

+2
JimLewis
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
6 posters

Go down

Cherry BUDS: I'm baffled Empty Cherry BUDS: I'm baffled

Post  Guest Tue Aug 25, 2015 2:45 pm

This past spring I side grafted a couple of multi-budded, red-flower cherry cuttings onto my thick-trunked, well established, pot grown white-flower cherry potensai.  The buds began to swell but ….... most of them eventually dried, withered and fell off. But now it's the beginning of autumn and a number of the remaining buds look healthy – I think?  Can it be that these buds have simply been dormant and that they can actually survive and give life in the coming spring? I'm baffled.

My last ditch plan has been to chop the whole trunk down next spring (leaving no branches or foliage) and try top-grafting instead, but if there is still hope for the buds to survive then I'll want to give them a chance.

But is there still a chance?
scratch

Back to top Go down

Cherry BUDS: I'm baffled Empty Re: Cherry BUDS: I'm baffled

Post  Guest Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:13 pm

Well, that was enlightening! Thank you very much!  Neutral

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:31 pm

dontcha just love the sounds of crickets ?  Wink

pictures might have helped some folks respond...

is there a chance the buds will break next spring ?
maybe, maybe not

but from the sound of it, either way you will be waiting until next spring...
to either see if the buds survive OR to trunk chop it...

so................. if i understood that correctly, then the only thing for now is to maybe post some pictures and maybe someone more knowledgeable than myself can give an opinion on the buds that are there now...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:16 am

I honestly don't think a photo is necessary in order to say whether or not a swollen, grafted cherry bud CAN lie dormant for a year before springing to life. Either they can or they can't.

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 pm

Either they can or they can't.

Yup.

And where is Fagelbacken?
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:31 pm

JimLewis wrote:And where is Fagelbacken?

Right here:

Cherry BUDS: I'm baffled Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRigwMT0vPXBcqlcGWJuRvKPJV3bGLhgOOCiXPgWa2aM5lVFVGu

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:38 pm

F-EW wrote:I honestly don't think a photo is necessary in order to say whether or not a swollen, grafted cherry bud CAN lie dormant for a year before springing to life. Either they can or they can't.

you posted a sarcastic reply to the lack of replies and i tried to help get some feedback for you...  

and then a sarcastic reply to jim's offer of some help by asking for more info...

was jim supposed to research your climate for you using that micro-map ?

did you research the question at all ?

Rolling Eyes

theres an old saying about how to catch bees...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:52 pm

beer city snake wrote:
F-EW wrote:I honestly don't think a photo is necessary in order to say whether or not a swollen, grafted cherry bud CAN lie dormant for a year before springing to life. Either they can or they can't.

you posted a sarcastic reply to the lack of replies and i tried to help get some feedback for you...  

and then a sarcastic reply to jim's offer of some help by asking for more info...

was jim supposed to research your climate for you using that micro-map ?

did you research the question at all ?

Rolling Eyes

theres an old saying about how to catch bees...

I'm sure that you are not really familiar with the definition of “sarcasm” - what it is – how it is used – when it isn't being used - when it is permissible – and when it isn't.

But you asked me a serious question (if it wasn't sarcastic) so I'll answer it with another question. If you research your socks off would you need to partake in a discussion forum? I suppose your answer might be, “Do the research yourself and don't bother us with questions posted to forums where it is common to ..... uh ....... ask questions. Now, you can apologise to me for the false accusation of making a sarcastic remark to Jim. That's alright, I can wait. Sleep

There's an old saying about not feigning indignance if you don't like people anyway. And another one that's about not engaging people in a discussion of you're too full of yourself to care what they think.

Ps. I realize now that no one is going to reply to my question on cherry buds so just just post your “come-back” and be done with it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:03 pm

JimLewis wrote:
Either they can or they can't.

Yup.  

And where is Fagelbacken?

Sorry. I thought your reply was a friendly/inquisitive question about my where-a-bouts. I assumed you were offering me  an opportunity to make friends. I didn't realize you were baiting me for a fight until snake jumped in for a “two against one” flame job. He also made it clear that your reply "Yup" was meant to be sarcastic rather than a "shuck and jive" bit of humour.

Jesus! Basketball

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:07 pm

no "come back" necessary... if you say those were not sarcastic replies, then i do indeed apologize.
but was that really a serious reply to jim's question Confused scratch

i hope you get your question answered...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:09 pm

cross post during your reply to jim...

two against one flame job ???

holy shit man... relax...
sometimes there is nothing to read in between the lines...

Last edited by beer city snake on Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:11 pm

Hey flake, why don't you take a real long nap......the "BIG NAP"

You seem well versed in "Sarcasm" but a babe in the woods when it comes to human interaction.

Fagelbacken.....does that translate to "The place where civility goes to die?"

Try to have a nice day if you can out run that black cloud following you around....

flower
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm not at all sure how to respond. I've never heard of Fagelbacken until you listed it as your location in an unknown country that I now assume is Germany, though I still have no idea where in Germany it is -- near The Netherlands, near Austria, up by the N. Sea, or in the middle. I suspect I would not even have asked if you'd bothered to put Germany after the place name.

As for "Yup," that seemed to be the only possible response to "Either they can or they can't."

As for the original query about the buds, there seems to be no possible answer other than "they can or they can't" since we knew so little of the past history or healthiness of tree itself. And close-up pictures of the buds in question might actually have helped assess their viability.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Bruce Winter Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:28 am

Looks Swedish to me. Maybe he'll tell us if we're nice.

Bruce Winter

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:01 pm

If the graft took then there is a good chance the buds will open in the spring. If the graft didn't take the whole branch would be dead. Nothing happens in the spring chop it back.
Jim and Beer City Snake were really only trying to help. I'm surprised that I am.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Cherry BUDS: I'm baffled Empty Fagelbacken

Post  Rick36 Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:15 pm

This is in Sweden, near to Malmo. Translates as "Bird Hill". Usually, in my experience at least, the Swedes are always friendly and polite to the extreme. I guess there are exceptions to every rule. Maybe living "high rise" is what does it??!! (Most dwellings on Bird Hill are high rise apartments). Advice on the buds?- Wait and see. Have patience. Grow older gracefully. (that's advice - does not apply to me). Be cool. Simmer down. Cheers to everyone.

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down