Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Elm buds opening

2 posters

Go down

Chinese Elm buds opening Empty Chinese Elm buds opening

Post  ddecino Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:07 pm

Hi All,

I have a chinese elm that spent spring, summer and fall outside. When the cold weather came I put it in the garage. It had lost almost all of it's leaves, but now the buds have started opening. The garage is not heated, but it still remains in the 50-60F range. There are windows in the gararage, so it is getting some light.

I expected the tree to be dormant until spring when I could put it back out side, but with the buds opening I am worried that more light will be required now. I have a few other cold hardy species in a cold frame outside but don't think the elm can handle the temps in there.

Should I just leave the elm in the garage, or do I need to get more light to it? The garage windows are south facing.

Don

Last edited by ddecino on Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

ddecino

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm buds opening Empty Chinese Elm

Post  bonsaisr Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:26 pm

Put your tree in the cold frame. It needs to be dormant.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm buds opening Empty Chinese Elm buds opening

Post  ddecino Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:58 pm

Iris, Thank you for your response.

Yes, I will put it in the cold frame. I thought the garage would be cool enough, I guess not. Will the buds that are opening be a problem? I expect the small leaves will die back, but will new buds form?

ddecino

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm buds opening Empty Re: Chinese Elm buds opening

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down