Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

should my seeds have germinated by now?

2 posters

Go down

should my seeds have germinated by now? Empty should my seeds have germinated by now?

Post  g.cole Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 am

I live in the south of England.

I planted seeds in pots back in November. The varieties are Jaacranda mimosifolia, Acer ginnala and Cryptomenia japonica.

They've been left outside in a spot that gets a lot of light and sun.

They have been lightly watered over the past 4 weeks.

Should they have germinated by now or I am just being impatient?

I would very much appreciate any advice as I am totally new to Bonsais

Graham

g.cole

Back to top Go down

should my seeds have germinated by now? Empty Re: should my seeds have germinated by now?

Post  Rick36 Wed May 13, 2015 11:57 am

Morning Graham. I can compare with my Acer Ginnala seeds, but not the others. I "fridge" stratified my home saved seeds for 4 months starting in October, then tipped them into a seed tray with a little multi purpose compost and they were then in the cold greenhouse for another month. I have about 15% success so far and have potted on about 20. The odd seed is still germinating, so I would not give up yet. Last year I had no germination at all. If your seed was frosted there is still time and in any case some Acer seeds will germinate after 2 years. I have Zelkova seeds in the same state as yours, and I'm not giving up on them yet. Good luck! Cheers. Rick.

Rick36

Back to top Go down

should my seeds have germinated by now? Empty Re: should my seeds have germinated by now?

Post  Rick36 Wed May 13, 2015 2:56 pm

Perhaps I should also have added that it will be at least - and probably more than - 5 years before you have anything like a bonsai grown from seed. Whilst that is happening try to get hold of something more mature and cut and shape it as you wish. It goes without saying that the more you read and practice, the more you learn and enjoy. Patience is the extreme virtue with this hobby/art. Cheers.

Rick36

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down