Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

To graft or not to graft.

+3
M. Frary
chadley999
RodWyatt
7 posters

Go down

To graft or not to graft. Empty To graft or not to graft.

Post  RodWyatt Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:48 pm

I am wondering if grafting is thought of as TABOO in the Bonsai world. I have an open spot on my Eagle Claw and would like to graft a clipping on to it. ...I just don't want a bunch of ninjas crashing through my wondows in the middle of the night and haul me away.

RodWyatt

Back to top Go down

To graft or not to graft. Empty Re: To graft or not to graft.

Post  chadley999 Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:28 am

No sir, grafting is used to great affect in bonsai

http://bonsai4me.com/advanced_techniques.html

You will find many great articles on grafting at that site, and many more besides grafting as well.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  RodWyatt Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:34 am

Thank you. I will still feel like I'm cheating in doing so. This is only the 2nd Fall I've had the tree and bought it because it's naturaly formed as a Broom style, but nearly flat on one side. No buds grow where I want them so grafting seems the only way to get the ballance.
Thanks for your prompt reply. Smile

RodWyatt

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:08 am

If I may be so bold as to ask. What is an Eagle Claw?

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  RodWyatt Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:12 am

Sorry, Eagle Claw Japanese Maple. Smile

RodWyatt

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Apr 29, 2015 6:18 pm

Thank you. I will still feel like I'm cheating in doing so.

Me too, but it is often done -- at least with junipers -- which often have all limbs removed and new ones grafted on at "artistic" places. Maybe pines too?

Also, sometimes, with flowering bonsai to get different colors on a single plant.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Wed Apr 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Rod, I agree with you and Jim- it doesn't feel quite right. If you look on Peter Tea's website, he bought a juniper called 'Big Sexy' (one look and you'll know why) from a collector. PT's plans include grafting new roots where he wants them, and all new branches from a DIFFERENT SPECIES of Juniper! For reasons I can't vocalize well, it makes me a little nauseous.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  RodWyatt Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:42 am

The training of a Bonsai is the art. It's like Mr. Miyagi said, "Make like picture." To me the chalange and joy is the training. That's the art. How ever, my tree is nearly void of any branches on one side and no buds are growing there. I'll always fess up to the grafting as a last resort, and offer it as apology. Only seems right.

RodWyatt

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:31 am

Folks, there's no such thing as cheating in bonsai. If grafting will improve your maple, you should learn how to do it, then do it.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:35 am

Precarious wrote:Rod, I agree with you and Jim- it doesn't feel quite right.  If you look on Peter Tea's website, he bought a juniper called 'Big Sexy' (one look and you'll know why) from a collector.  PT's plans include grafting new roots where he wants them, and all new branches from a DIFFERENT SPECIES of Juniper!  For reasons I can't vocalize well, it makes me a little nauseous.

I'm currently grafting shimpaku on a collected western juniper- RMJ I think.  The original foliage is horribly lanky and prone to rust and other fungal pathogens where I live.  It was collected to be a bonsai and could be an OUTSTANDING bonsai with the right foliage, but will never amount to much as it is.  Personally, I think it would be a waste not to go forward with the grafting.  Just my opinion.

Last edited by Dave Murphy on Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  RodWyatt Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:44 am

I've grafted before so that aspect of it is no big deal. And I do agree with you Dave. It seems the only answer in some cases for various reasons. I am in no way opposed to it. I grafted 4 wee limbs to fill the void. I'll know in the morning if there are any problems.

RodWyatt

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:37 am

I can see your point, Dave.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:57 pm

Dave Murphy wrote:Folks, there's no such thing as cheating in bonsai.  If grafting will improve your maple, you should learn how to do it, then do it.  

How do you feel about tanuki/phoenix grafts/resurrection grafts?

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Fri May 01, 2015 1:11 am

john jones wrote:
Dave Murphy wrote:Folks, there's no such thing as cheating in bonsai.  If grafting will improve your maple, you should learn how to do it, then do it.  

How do you feel about tanuki/phoenix grafts/resurrection grafts?
I prefer the real thing to a Tanuki (mainly because I can usually ID a tanuki)...but, if they're done well, I can certainly appreciate the skill in creating them.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down