Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice!

5 posters

Go down

New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! Empty New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice!

Post  kayla450 Wed Apr 22, 2015 6:32 am

I recently bought a bonsai. I have wanted one for as long as I can remember!  It Is a Fujian Tea Bonsai. I was wondering what the best soil would be for it, and if you would know if I can order it online or if that would be a bad idea. I've also noticed that the flowers on it are turning somewhat brown and wilting, which is scaring me. I'm worried about it being root-bound, but I'm not sure what to look for or even the best way to re-pot it. Also, there is a wire at the base, the store I bought it from said that it's to keep the tree held in, but I'm not sure if it's good for the tree or not. I will post alot of pictures, that way I can give you guys the best view so I can get more accurate advice.
Thank you! Smile

New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150422_001241_zps0qx4s8vo
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150422_001234_zpsias7e4mh
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150422_001158_zpscavoxjh4
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150420_213736_zps5gkpsj7m
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150420_213710_zpszcwsdyb5
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150420_213659_zpsu4fzssci
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150420_213643_zpsdkkp4omg
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150420_213630_zpsx6iann0b
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150418_205145_zpspvcdz2xd
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150418_205121_zpssixetkr2
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150418_205107_zpssa486c2p
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150418_2051071_zps3r72rxx9
New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150418_205059_zpsnyamzeoqNew Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150418_205034_zpsmbgosgda

kayla450

Back to top Go down

New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! Empty Re: New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice!

Post  JimLewis Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:59 am

It is "Fukien" tea. The wire is fine. We fasten our trees into their pots as a precaution.

Is that gravel I see around your tree glued in? It seems as if there is a finer, dark soil immediately underneath. If it is glued, remove it. Since you only have one tree, ordering soil on line is fine. You can get it from a number of vendors.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! Empty Re: New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice!

Post  Precarious Wed Apr 22, 2015 2:07 pm

Hello Kayla, this tree has a nice trunk line and looks healthy! When it is happy, it will put out a small number of tiny white flowers almost constantly, but never really a strong blush of them. The dead matter left behind after the flower fades can be a little unsightly, but is easily removed with fingers.

The fact that it is wired into the pot, has what seems reasonable soil, and appears to me to have a top dressing (the brown on top of the soil), says to me that it was potted by someone who knows and cares.

This tree is a little finicky, and will lose leaves when stressed. Not to worry, though, once the environment is corrected it is quick to leaf out again. See this link for further related info: https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t8147-finickey-fukien-tea?highlight=fukien+tea
and you can hit the search button above, enter fukien tea, and see several threads. Also, here is a page from a well respected grower of tropical bonsai: http://www.bonsaihunk.us/info/FukienTea.html.

Typically, but not exclusively, people growing bonsai are looking for a fat, even gnarly, trunk that tapers toward the top and looks ancient. If that is your goal, you won't have to worry about the gnarly- FT does this naturally. Also, when healthy, it will often back bud and put out new branches from the trunk. This is good, because if allowed to grow they will help accomplish the thickening of the trunk. You can study up on 'sacrifice branches' for that.

To pull it out and definitively see if it is rootbound, you would need to remove the wire holding it in. If you don't want to do that, there are other ways to give an idea of the root tightness. You could stick your finger in an inch or so and feel for roots, or pull away the top of the soil to visualize the roots. Maybe others here have better ideas.

My FT's grow best outside in hot humid weather(have any of that in Kansas? Wink ) with morning sun up until about 2 or 3 in the afternoon, then shade after that. I wish you well!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  kayla450 Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:40 pm

I believe it is root bound because there is also roots sticking out from the top of the soil and rocks. The rocks are not glued in, it's just a top layer. I just Bought a new tropical bonsai soil, a bigger pot for re-potting, some wire and some tools. It's also not very humid in my house, kansas is pretty dry.
Since I bought it from someone, I have no idea when it was last repotted or the roots trimmed. The tag said it is 8 years old.
If i could get a break down of the best steps for repotting or a link I would appreciate it greatly. I'm really worried about killing it. From reading other sites I know I need to get a grow light and a humidity tray as well. I've looked up countless sites and they say alot of different things so it's confusing.
One other question, should I keep the rocks that are top and reuse them or can I just do without the rocks?
Thank you!

kayla450

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:22 am

Like many tropicals, FT do best when repotted during the growing season.  Assuming you are zone 5 or 6, I would wait until mid-June or so.  That will give you time to search for repotting instructions.  Bonsaimary, bonsai empire, bonsai tool chest, bonsai4me, are all good websites.  Here and other sites have book recommendations as well.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:29 pm

Kayla welcome. the first thing you need to find is patience and the first thing to learn is to not only keep your tree(s) alive but thriving. Now this and only a few other discussion groups have folks who are well experienced. Many groups have voice-tress folks who are self-proclaimed experts, but only have just bought their first tree. Actually your best opportunity to engage knowledgeable folks and to learn is to join a local bonsai club. God to this siteto check on what club is near you.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  kayla450 Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:06 pm

So..Now I have the leafs falling off, I'm so worried that this tree is going to die on me. Any advice on how to reverse this would be appreciated.

New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150423_160107_zpseqwaiwpg

kayla450

Back to top Go down

Post  kayla450 Thu Apr 23, 2015 10:08 pm

DougB wrote:Kayla welcome.  the first thing you need to find is patience and the first thing to learn is to not only keep your tree(s) alive but thriving.  Now this and only a few other discussion groups have folks who are well experienced.  Many groups have voice-tress  folks who are self-proclaimed experts, but only have just bought their first tree.  Actually your best opportunity to engage knowledgeable folks and to learn is to join a local bonsai club.  God to this siteto check on what club is near you.

Thank you! I'll look one up!

kayla450

Back to top Go down

Post  TonyRoch Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:27 am

Hi Kayla,

Welcome.
I've been having Fukien plants/bonsai for quite a while, but somehow
its been a bit of a tricky path keeping these fellas.
Many just refused to grow; remained dormant
or worst-died after some time.
Btw, I live in the tropics and these plants propagate and thrive
well here in the warm climate just about anywhere.
Matter of fact, I'm working on one right now and your post
drew me to share my Fukien tree!.  
here it is:

New Bonsai, Would Appreciate any advice! 20150411

This guy grew off a seed (must have been from a bird)
about 10 years back and it was trimmed to provide shade.

It will be dug out as soon as I get some help.
TonyRoch
TonyRoch

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down