Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

north american wisconsin style pierneef

+6
Precarious
appalachianOwl
Leo Schordje
JimLewis
steveb
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
10 posters

Go down

north american wisconsin style pierneef  Empty north american wisconsin style pierneef

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:12 pm

i have been driving past this tree for the past couple weeks and my first thought was "thats pretty damn close to pierneef style"
so yesterday i finally pulled over and snapped a snapshot...

andre says you should be able to see africa in the branches of african pierneef bonsai,
if you look close and squint just your left eye while rapidly blinking your right eye you can clearly see the state of wisconsin in the branches.

north american wisconsin style pierneef  Site_v10
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

north american wisconsin style pierneef  Empty Re: north american wisconsin style pierneef

Post  steveb Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:19 am

Great photo. I'd like to create a bonsai that looks just like that. Thanks for sharing.

See Wisconsin? Let me try that....maybe.....maybe....maybe....yes! I see it. Wait, what does Wisconsin even look like?

Thanks again.
Steve
steveb
steveb

Back to top Go down

north american wisconsin style pierneef  Empty Re: north american wisconsin style pierneef

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:45 pm

wisconsin looks unique in that it looks like no other state in the union. Wink
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:55 pm

For most of the year, it is white.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:09 pm

aw, c'mon man !
that's racist !

Razz

i hope its needless to say that i am joking and racism is nothing to joke about but i did it anyways
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:49 pm

Uh, OK. Which branch is Kenosha?

to get serious a minute

The pierneef style is a variation on broom style. That tree in your photo is a classic broom, of the type nature does create. It is more common in the greater midwest, but is not unique to our area. 2.4.8.16 branching is classic broom. Excellent article in an old Bonsai Today issue, outlining 3 or 4 major variations of broom style. (forgot which issue)
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:35 pm

two
four
six
eight
who do we appreciate ?

leo !!!

see you at my place next weekend i hope for the first outdoor AAC session of the season !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:40 pm

drove by it again today and here it is in leaf:

north american wisconsin style pierneef  Specif11

sorry for the window glare
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:42 am

More like "Wisconsin field tree style". Wink Beautiful! Ya know what it is?
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:36 pm

nah... just drive by it occasionally...
nothing exceptional, but i liked it and in real life there is no "like" button, so i took it's picture Wink

(and the pierneef style reference was not to be taken too seriously...)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:02 am

beer city snake wrote:nah... just drive by it occasionally...
nothing exceptional, but i liked it and in real life there is no "like" button, so i took it's picture Wink

Look at Kevin, getting all facebook lingo-y clown
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:11 pm

was not to be taken too seriously... wrote:

not at all myself either...
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:45 pm

Precarious wrote:
beer city snake wrote:nah... just drive by it occasionally...

Look at Kevin, getting all facebook lingo-y clown

damn... BUSTED !!! Embarassed
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:52 pm

appalachianOwl wrote:More like "Wisconsin field tree style". Wink Beautiful! Ya know what it is?
It could be any number of different species.
Kevin if you know what it is for sure don't tell us.
Let's start a guessing game.
Pine?
Elm is my real guess.
Anyone want to play?

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:21 pm

Sure looks like an elm to me. My neighbor had a tree shaped just like that in his yard, he had it removed but it was some type of elm (though not American).
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:24 pm

Siberian elm looks like this when mature.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:14 pm

Not enough dead branches to be a Siberian. Looks young enough to be an American Elm praying for reprieve.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:24 pm

Siberian elms around here don't have dead branches. They do quite well. I also have a few for bonsai.
American elm grow more upright. And in a vase almost flat top shape. The only tree here with that form. The rest of the decidious trees grow like this. A classic broom shape.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:33 pm

drove by again today... no camera, but it looked the elms have it.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:36 am

Clint Eastwood would call this a "Hanging Tree"....don't rack up the "Bonsai Dick" mini-van snappin' money-shots of this spreading, elegant grand dame.... pirat
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:50 pm

LanceMac10 wrote:Clint Eastwood would call this a "Hanging Tree"....don't rack up the "Bonsai Dick" mini-van snappin' money-shots of this spreading, elegant grand dame.... pirat

perish the thought !
that wagon's got some adventuring to do...

speaking of which... lance, a couplefew of the AAC MKE guys are gonna be camping down in asheville n.c. in conjunction with the n.c. arboretum's 20th anniversary expo this october (with walter pall, et al)... awesome campsite about a mile from the arboretum... i think our guy david in omaha was noodling on going... watch your in-box for more details...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  geo Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:01 am

I copied the b and w for desktop background. It looks great.Hope that is alright.I'm currently going through Elm envy,especially Chinese.I could grow them here if I could ever find any.
geo
geo

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:41 pm

geo wrote:I copied the b and w for desktop background. It looks great.Hope that is alright.I'm currently going through Elm envy,especially Chinese.I could grow them here if I could ever find any.

no sweat on the copy...

and i assume you saw mfrary's reply re: elms on the other thread...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down