Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water restrictions in force in California

+10
fiona
Precarious
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Bruce Winter
damianos
logan3
AlainK
JimLewis
Khaimraj Seepersad
dick benbow
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Water restrictions in force in California - Page 2 Empty Re: Water restrictions in force in California

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:26 am

fiona wrote:"frivolous banter"

HEY !!!
I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK !!!

Embarassed Razz
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Water restrictions in force in California - Page 2 Empty Re: Water restrictions in force in California

Post  JimLewis Thu Apr 16, 2015 1:23 pm

Dunno what got into Dick. We've all enjoyed his work on display, etc. Hopefully, he'll be back.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert J. Baran Mon May 04, 2015 4:07 am

The only downside I've personally experienced in using gray water for plants is to NOT use it on unsprouted seeds, such as in a vegetable garden.  The soap -- although strongly diluted -- apparently prevents seeds from germinating.  It is also not recommended to be used on edible leaves...  For bonsai and landscaping, yes, by all means, use it freely.
Robert J. Baran
Robert J. Baran

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri May 08, 2015 5:33 pm

There are devices aready invented that can draw moisture out the air and into collecting tanks, using solar powering.
Solutions.

Humidity lowest at 45 % at around lunchtime, as we begin the prayers for rain.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  elkski Sat May 16, 2015 1:34 am

Silly the op gets bent over being moved to the lounge.
This seems like a good place for this topic...I often wonder about if its code to plumb drains lines outside. It seems like some of the chemicals in our detergents could end up in the waterways?
in my situation the h2o heater is 2 floors down from the upstairs shower so I am sure I waste 3-4 gallons waiting for hot water. I have considered installing a h20 heater closer or using an instant heater type at that location.

I am not sure how this home plumbing modification would effect resale value or work in winter climates.

elkski

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat May 16, 2015 1:06 pm

Of course, energy conservation may come into play then, too, but it may be worthwhile to consider one of th instant heaters at both locations. You'd need to do some research with your water company and energy company, and a knowledgeable third party if you can figure who that might be.

Resale value -- a plus, I would think.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Sat May 16, 2015 3:42 pm

elkski wrote:Silly the op gets bent over being moved to the lounge.
This seems like a good place for this topic...I often wonder about if its code to plumb drains lines outside.  It seems like some of the chemicals in our detergents could end up in the waterways?

The rules about this may vary with location. We live in a relatively old house (about 100 years) and when we moved in one of the drain lines (from a couple of sinks and a bathtub) went to an old dry well instead of the septic tank. We had to have a new septic system installed a few years ago and while talking with the various people involved in the process (you need a town engineer to approve the plans and installation), found out that current codes require that all waste lines be directed to the septic tank...dry wells are no longer acceptable.

Of course, once the work is done you could re-route selected lines to wherever you want to make use of grey water, but you'd probably have to change that before selling the house...maybe out west the rules are different regarding grey water.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  elkski Sat May 16, 2015 6:31 pm

We have basements and so drain lines run 10-14' deep to Dewar main in the street. You could divert drain lines at ground level in summer but usually by then shower, sinks, toilets are joined. Until a few years ago it was illegal to collect rain water. It is now legal and some groups give out rain barrels. Usually most houses have 4 or many more roof drain lines. I did into two main ones. One pops up to water a grape vine it would take some doing but three tanks would catch it all. One off the solid deck. But I have been following the ongoing fukashima nuclear disaster and there is strong evidence that rain can be very radio active these days. Is that a concern for many of you.

elkski

Back to top Go down

Post  john jones Sat May 16, 2015 9:11 pm

elkski wrote:This seems like a good place for this topic...I often wonder about if its code to plumb drains lines outside.  It seems like some of the chemicals in our detergents could end up in the waterways?

They do anyway. Certain minerals/nutrients could be slowed from getting into waterways. Phosphates and nitrates come to mind.

elkski wrote: in my situation the h2o heater is 2 floors down from the upstairs shower so I am sure I waste 3-4 gallons waiting for hot water.  I have considered installing a h20 heater closer or using an instant heater type at that location.

I am not sure how this home plumbing modification would effect resale value or work in winter climates.  

Exactly, but as you said, it's subject to local codes.

john jones

Back to top Go down

Post  elkski Mon May 18, 2015 2:25 am

elkski

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2