Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Too thick root?

+3
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
fiona
Barry M
7 posters

Go down

Too thick root? Empty Too thick root?

Post  Barry M Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:39 pm

Four years ago I started a cutting of a dwarf Pomegranate and the plant, which is healthy, has been growing in a regular flower pot all that time. Last week I decided to transplant it into a bonsai pot. I was surprised to find that it has a thick root near the surface that is out of proportion to the trunk (look to the left side of the plant in the photo). I cannot remove the thick root because nearly all of the remaining roots of the plant are attached to it.  Should I be concerned that the root is too thick and should I "carve" the root to be less thick?  Or is the presence of the thick root not a big deal?

Too thick root? Root_o11

Last edited by Barry M on Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:42 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Minor change)

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Too thick root? Empty Re: Too thick root?

Post  fiona Fri Feb 27, 2015 8:16 am

Dunno about the root, but what is the wire for?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:08 pm

hard to tell w/ that photo but you could probably use some of that wire to wire the root down below the surface of the dirt
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:10 pm

beer city snake wrote:hard to tell w/ that photo but you could probably use some of that wire to wire the root down below the surface of the dirt

Yes!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Fri Feb 27, 2015 1:59 pm

fiona wrote:Dunno about the root, but what is the wire for?

Thank you fiona and beer city snake for your responses. Since the plant was newly placed in the pot, the purpose of the wire is to hold it in place at the desired angle until new roots take over. Unfortunately I cannot use the wire to wire the root below the surface of the soil because it is so solidly in place. It won't budge and would snap if I try to budge it. There is another unrelated matter as well. If you look closely at the branch on the right you will see that the branch going to the left is originating from the right branch and not from the trunk. I like that left branch and wired it to go there but I don't know if it' s okay in Bonsai styling rules for the left branch to cross the trunk. Frankly it doesn't matter to me since I like it there but I'm curious if it's a serious "infraction."

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  steveb Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:48 am

I don't know anything about this type of tree.

However, as far as the crossing branch goes, I don't know about a serious infraction, but, it is definitely a distraction. Try visualizing a branch reaching to the left from the left trunk. To me, that would look better.
steveb
steveb

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Sat Feb 28, 2015 3:16 am

FYI - this is the overall tree. I know that the tree is still very young (four years) but I just want to set it off on the right design path.

Too thick root? Pom02210

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:23 am

Pomegranate is a lovely and showy tree. You will enjoy it in the future.
Barry M wrote:... ...Last week I decided to transplant it into a bonsai pot... ...
May I say that I think you were a liiiittle hasty to put it into a bonsai pot? You should have transplanted it again into a training pot (wide but shallow crate/bowl type pot) to give it more time to develop. If you did you might had better chances to wire that root down as suggested above
JimLewis wrote:
beer city snake wrote:hard to tell w/ that photo but you could probably use some of that wire to wire the root down below the surface of the dirt
Yes!
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:40 pm

It's hard to tell a lot about the roots from the picture supplied. If you look at that root and think that if the other roots around the trunk were thicker this root would look great, then just cut the root off below ground and let it start sending out new root growth and allow the other roots to catch up. I agree that a bigger pot/tub/collander/box would speed development.

As to that crossing branch, it comes off the primary branch quite close to the trunk. Possible an unsightly bulge could develop over time?
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Barry M Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:39 pm

Thank you all for your comments. It gives me food for thought.

Barry M

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down