Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

+57
Roger Snipes
moyogijohn
stavros
eric sanders
Dave Martin
Sheila Becker
ybonsai
santi
Viriato Oliveira
bontailo
Jesse
Neil Jaeger
Lone
robert hill
Brett Summers
Peter E.
fiona
kauaibonsai
LANCE
DreadyKGB
gman
Mike Jones
jonathan e
Bugeye
irene_b
Marija Hajdic
Andrija Zokic
wabashene
Paul B (Scotland)
Rob Kempinski
bonsai monkey
aRodas
Martin S
Jonny D
my nellie
Peter Adams
Fuzzy
Dustin Mann
Curtis
Kev Bailey
Nik Rozman
peter krebs
mehrdadchavosh
Eric Newton
Seth Ellwood
Pavel Slovák
bobby little
Mario Stefano
Justin Hervey
NeilDellinger
waway
Stone Monkey
Jim Doiron
Harleyrider
bigsteve
leonardo
Carolee
61 posters

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Go down

you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 12:43 pm

Update. Allowed to extend 6 to 8 leaves and then trimmed up. No weeds in this one Rob you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Icon_sad you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Img_0416

Back to top Go down

you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Empty Re: You showed me yours, I'll show you mine!

Post  bonsai monkey Thu May 27, 2010 2:03 pm

Excellent Tree Will. Your work has been an insipration to my native trees.
My Shohin Elm is a wee bit behind yours but I hope to trim back & photograph very soon.

Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu May 27, 2010 2:19 pm

The tree looks great Will,

I believe I said this before but when I saw this tree the first time in person at the last Gingko, it was one of my favorites at the show - and it was leafless then. It is really well done - ancient looking but relatively small bonsai.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 5:15 pm

bonsai monkey wrote:Excellent Tree Will. Your work has been an insipration to my native trees.
My Shohin Elm is a wee bit behind yours but I hope to trim back & photograph very soon.

Okk, Okk,
Simon
I am really pleased that you are inspired by my work on these Elms Simon. Thats what this forum is all about. you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 5:19 pm

Rob Kempinski wrote:The tree looks great Will,

I believe I said this before but when I saw this tree the first time in person at the last Gingko, it was one of my favorites at the show - and it was leafless then. It is really well done - ancient looking but relatively small bonsai.

Very kind words Rob. I may let you off for your other comments...might!
After JOB, this Elm recieved a certificate and is on the register of important British bonsai. It was also selected for the Best of British exhibition, next Spring

Back to top Go down

Post  Stone Monkey Thu May 27, 2010 7:31 pm

Will

I love this tree! Perfect in a Duffet pot, cant say anymore Very Happy

Regards

Andy
Stone Monkey
Stone Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul B (Scotland) Thu May 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Hiya Will,

Superb tree, really, really nice.

I wasnt aware of any register of important trees, but this looks like it deserves its place on it.

Would love to see it in person to fully appreciate it.
Paul B (Scotland)
Paul B (Scotland)

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 27, 2010 11:45 pm

Hello Paul. The register was set up by ABBA (Association of British Bonsai Artists). If your ever in the area, your more than welcome to come have a look.

Back to top Go down

Post  bonsai monkey Fri May 28, 2010 9:10 am

Hi Will,
Here's my little offering. Not quite as cool as yours but I'm pleased with the progress that I've made as I only started work on it 14 months ago. Still a way to go but I thought I would share anyway.

you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Ibc_el10

Are you impressed, a picture in the same calendar month!!!!!
Okk, Okk,
Simon
bonsai monkey
bonsai monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 28, 2010 9:38 pm

I am impressed Simon. Has to be a record for you. Impressive time scale on the tree as well. Carry on like this and you'll have a masterpiece in no time......Well......several years. you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Icon_biggrin Did you collect this yourself?

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Sat May 29, 2010 11:44 am

As this thread seems to be about elms largely I'll show you mine.
Very Happy

Purchased as a project tree for £60 and was badly deformed by a large knot caused by uncontrolled shoot growth half way up.

Airlayered 2 larger branches- now turning into decent shohin - and chopped it straight off about 10 inches up.

Two years in the ground and 2 in a pot and this beginning to resemble a classic broom shape elm.

Have started to do a bit of carving on the flat chop spot to make it look a bit more natural.

I have been known to trim this with hedge shears.

Shocked

Thks

TimR

you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Ulmus_10
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat May 29, 2010 4:47 pm

Hello Tim. It's developing quite nicely. When you say shohin, how tall is it? By my estimation its about 20" and far too tall for shohin. Have you a winter image?

Back to top Go down

Post  wabashene Sun May 30, 2010 10:51 am

will baddeley wrote:Hello Tim. It's developing quite nicely. When you say shohin, how tall is it? By my estimation its about 20" and far too tall for shohin. Have you a winter image?

Hi Will.

I meant that the 2 air layers are turning into decent shohin .

I suppose the inserted descriptive clause (ref the shohin) would have been better in brackets, but I thought it read quite well.
Very Happy

This pic is 7 weeks ago-ish after I did the bit of Dremel work.

Don't know whether to go the whole hog and "V" it out completely or to try and be a bit more creative ( not my strong point) but couldn't live with the flat chop site any longer.

Rob Kempinski (iirc) has a vaguely similar elm where here's made a sort of sabamiki split down the front.

Not the final pot either, but the right sort of size imo.

I picked up a couple of textured, browny -beige rectangles at the Wessex/Bouremouth show a few weeks back with this in mind.

Thks

TimR
you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Ulmus_11
wabashene
wabashene

Back to top Go down

Post  Fuzzy Sun May 30, 2010 2:10 pm

Don't know whether to go the whole hog and "V" it out completely .[url=[URL=https://2img.net/r/ihimizer/i/elm1.jpg/]you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Elm1[
If this is what you mean then go ahead and do it IMO. Lovely work so far btw Smile Not to sure about a full sabamiki though as it would be a shame to remove the beautiful bark. Smile
Fuzzy
Fuzzy

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun May 30, 2010 6:02 pm

I do apologise Tim. It wasn't your writing, but my reading. you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Icon_redface The winter image is really good. The only thing I would suggest is wiring some branches at the back, to fill in the hole above the v. you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Icon_biggrin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:22 am

Update on the Elm collected in November 09. Yhis one looks very promisingyou showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Img_0520

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:26 am

closer pic of the deadwood.you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Img_0521

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm slightly concerned with the cracking on the deadwood.I have heard of a product under testing.HMG Paraloid B72,is used by conservators to preserve ancient artefacts and works particularly well on wood. Has anyone any experience with this product?you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Img_0010

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:51 pm

Closer pic.you showed me yours - You showed me yours, I'll show you mine! - Page 6 Img_0011

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:25 pm

will baddeley wrote:Paraloid B72,is used by conservators to preserve ancient artefacts and works particularly well on wood. Has anyone any experience with this product?

Hi Will, I'm using Paraloid B72 now for some years and I don't intend of giving it up. Very Happy It's a great wood preserver and it leves NO marks on the wood. ThumbsUp
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:39 pm

So what's the story with this stuff. All I know is it has to be mixed with acetone. Does it have to be applied every year, what are the diutions..etc..etc..

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrija Zokic Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:29 pm

Andrija Zokic
Andrija Zokic

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:52 pm

will baddeley wrote:So what's the story with this stuff. All I know is it has to be mixed with acetone. Does it have to be applied every year, what are the diutions..etc..etc..

I use it as it is. I don't mix it with anything. Basicly it's a normal wood-hardener.
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:27 am

Nik Rozman wrote:
will baddeley wrote:So what's the story with this stuff. All I know is it has to be mixed with acetone. Does it have to be applied every year, what are the diutions..etc..etc..

I use it as it is. I don't mix it with anything. Basicly it's a normal wood-hardener.

So what your saying Nick, is it's basically the same as the wet rot wood hardener I've been using for the last 10 years? Its a spirit based plasic or resin?

Back to top Go down

Post  Nik Rozman Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:06 am

will baddeley wrote:
Nik Rozman wrote:

So what your saying Nick, is it's basically the same as the wet rot wood hardener I've been using for the last 10 years? Its a spirit based plasic or resin?

It's somehow like a glue - at least it smels like one. But as I wrote it is a normal wood-hardener (I guess the same as the one you mentioned above). It is used for ''fixing'' half-rotten wood (deadwood) and it leves no signs on it.
There are no other details that I know that I could tell you, but I think this basic ones will do.
Nik Rozman
Nik Rozman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 12 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 10, 11, 12  Next