Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rescued Bonsai Tree

4 posters

Go down

Rescued Bonsai Tree Empty Rescued Bonsai Tree

Post  lesdaw Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:46 pm

I recently rescued a small bonsai tree from a supermarket. The middle bit was dead but the outside had some live branches although it needed a good water as all leaves were drooping. I gave it a good watering and the leaves seemed to pick up. I've had it about 2 weeks now and it gets morning sun and good daylight in afternoon. It has now sprouted new shoots from the live branches and a few from the dead bits. Is there anything else I can do to encourage more growth from dead bits or is it just a matter of time and care. Is there anywhere I could take it for someone to look at it, I live in the KT8 area, Surrey.

lesdaw

Back to top Go down

Rescued Bonsai Tree Empty Re: Rescued Bonsai Tree

Post  Precarious Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:01 am

We can be more helpful with more information, esp pictures. Could you post some? Considering grocery stores are not the greatest places for bonsai care, and that it had dead in it while the living was drooping and presumably on its way out, says that you have taken appropriate care of it and it is a resilient tree. Generally speaking, a tree in this state should just be allowed to grow at its pace and build energy. Light, humidity and water would be the most important to optimize right now. Worry about changing soil and adding food later.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  David D Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:11 am

I got a ficus from the closeout rack at the floral dept. at one of our regional supermarkets. In my zeal to get home and eat ice cream I didn't inspect it too closely. Got it home and upon closer inspection I realized it was very infested with about 3 different kinds of insect pests.
David D
David D

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:10 am

It would also help if you could tell us the species of the tree. That way we can give you more assistance - not least in whether it should be inside or outside. As already said, a pic of the tree is very useful.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Rescued Bonsai Tree Empty Rescued Bonsai Tree

Post  lesdaw Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:42 am

fiona wrote:It would also help if you could tell us the species of the tree. That way we can give you more assistance - not least in whether it should be inside or outside. As already said, a pic of the tree is very useful.

Cant get a picture but can say it looks like a ficus but rounder leaves

lesdaw

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:30 pm

For the record the poster lives in Surrey England.  

Lesdaw, we are a bit stuck without a picture. There are several types of ficus used as bonsai but we aren't able to buy many of them in the UK.   They are almost all doomed to a life indoors as well, probably even in Surrey.  

Find a friend with a camera who can take some pics of your tree, then have a look at the tutorial on posting images and see if you can upload them.

https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t243-b-tutorial-on-posting-pics
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Rescued Bonsai Tree Empty dead bonsai

Post  lesdaw Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 pm

having told you about my 'rescued dead bonsai' I have another question, it has roots protruding from bottom of pot. Does this mean it needs re-potting. Would like some advice as I am new to bonsai

Lesley

lesdaw

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:34 pm

Presumably it has been stressed enough for now- repot later. Still not knowing what species of tree, it is hard to say when repotting might first be possible. If it is a tropical, which in all likelihood it is, then Summer 2016. Deciduous, Spring 2016. This is all guesswork w/o identification. Have you searched for a bonsai club in your area? Just out of curiosity, how do you decide when to water, and how do you water? I ask, b/c this is the main cause of 'planticide'.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  lesdaw Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:57 pm

WHEN I GOT IT 2-3 WEEKS AGO IT WAS BONE DRY HENCE THE DEAD BITS. WATERED VERY WELL AND LEFT TO DRAIN. NOW I WATER EVERY 2-3 DAYS JUST ENOUGH TO KEEP DAMP. Roots were hanging out on purchase WILL TRY TO GET A PIC TO YOU AT SOME TIME
Sorry about caps didnt notice)

lesdaw

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:42 pm

Not to worry, I just happened to have my fingers in my ears at the time. Surprised
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down