Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Green Mound Juniper Q's

3 posters

Go down

Green Mound Juniper Q's Empty Green Mound Juniper Q's

Post  Titanosaurus75 Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi everybody, I've been wanting to start bonsai for a while now, and I've been doing some research on which trees are great for my area to start with. So, as the title suggests, I think I want to start off with a Green Mound Juniper. The only problem is I'm finding very conflicting information on the same tree, and I can't decide which website is correct and which isn't.

So I live in Northeast New Jersey in the great little town called Hillsdale, and my backyard (facing South) is quite large and gets a LOT of sun. I was originally going to get a Ficus because I knew they love the sun, but I barely have any windows facing South, so I knew I would need to keep my tree on my back porch. Now, most sources say that GM Junipers love full sun, but some say that they only thrive in shade. This isn't an issue because my front yard gets morning sun and afternoon shade, but I just want clarification on that. Another issue is the winter. Some sources say that GM Junipers like a cold garage or shed (<59º) with no sun, so that they have frost protection. Some say that they like a cold room (still <59º) but with some or full sun. Some say they must be kept in a warm (>60º) room with either no sun or full sun. And some say to leave them outside with snow/rain, but bring them inside to a cold room when a frost advisory is posted. I am extremely confused, and I can accommodate any of those situations except if it must be kept in a warm room with full sun.

Thanks so much, I'm super excited to start this great hobby! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Titanosaurus75

Back to top Go down

Green Mound Juniper Q's Empty Re: Green Mound Juniper Q's

Post  Orion Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 am

Welcome to the addiction Titanosaurus75.

For me, junipers have been my true love when it comes to bonsai. They'll do just fine in north Jersey, they're very tough/hardy plants. I have junipers that did just fine after last winter with no protection, and you remember how cold that one was. You want them to get sunlight, they need it. Mine are set up to get early afternoon through the end of day sunlight and they've been just fine.

Go through the "Search" function here and type in juniper or juniperus and you'll have more excellent info. and answers than I can possibly provide.

Post some picks of how they progress!
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Titanosaurus75 Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:16 am

Thanks Orion! I'm really excited!

Titanosaurus75

Back to top Go down

Post  Titanosaurus75 Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:09 am

Ok, two more quick questions.
1. Should I use a humidity tray in the winter?
2. Should the tree get sunlight then as well? I've gotten all the info I need, except those two quickies. Thanks!

Titanosaurus75

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:44 am

Titanosaurus75 wrote:Ok, two more quick questions.
1. Should I use a humidity tray in the winter?
2. Should the tree get sunlight then as well? I've gotten all the info I need, except those two quickies. Thanks!

1. no

2. yes.

Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  Titanosaurus75 Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:59 am

Thanks Orion, again! I'll get started soon!

Titanosaurus75

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:18 am

They are also called nana procumbens. And they take some some extreme temps. Mine see below zero every winter. And as much sun as I can provide. Which is all day. Sunrise to sunset. Humidity trays are for indoor trees. These should be outside their whole life.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Titanosaurus75 Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:54 pm

Alright, I guess the Juniper it is! Thanks guys!

Titanosaurus75

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down