Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Siberian Elm Development

+4
JimLewis
Sorcertree
Precarious
Cordon
8 posters

Go down

Siberian Elm Development Empty Siberian Elm Development

Post  Cordon Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:51 pm

Here are some pics of a Siberian elm I collected as a ground layer two years ago. I plan to repot it this spring to both check on the root development and improve the planting angle. I'm considering chopping the branch that abruptly changes direction and brings the top back over the base of the tree. I may also just leave it alone and do nothing more than check on the roots and planting angle. It is about 3" across at the base.

Siberian Elm Development Img_6212

Siberian Elm Development Img_6213

Siberian Elm Development Img_6214

Siberian Elm Development Img_6215

I'd appreciate any advice anyone would like to give me. Happy New Year!

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Siberian Elm Development Empty Re: Siberian Elm Development

Post  Precarious Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:29 am

Of the pictures you have posted, the tree's scars are seen only when the curve of the trunk is hidden. Is there a view that might show both? There really is, in my opionion, a lot of potential in this tree. I like it a lot! It may well end up a rare tree that is top notch from all directions.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorcertree Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:25 am

I'd cut it right below that knobbish 90.

and off that little sucker.

Nice material.

Sorce

Sorcertree

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:08 pm

I like the first image as the front, and don't find the scarred side at all attractive. If it were mine, I'd cut all branches back to one or two buds, but would not make any major cuts in the trunk yet. Nice potential.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Fri Jan 02, 2015 3:37 pm

I have some of these. Mine are the fastest growing trees on the benches. 4 foot of growth in a year after chopping and digging. 3 years from collection to pot. One thing you need to do is keep this tree vigorous. Root pruning every year helps. The reason is if you let it rest on its laurels it will lose an occasional branch. Cutting back hard and root pruning keeps the tree on its toes. Don't worry, when you check the roots there will be lots. Another thing. When digging these check out the tap root. They are as big as the base of the tree and go through the ground in a crazy twisting manner. The root cuttings make awesome trees. Have fun. This tree will keep you busy. Oh yeah. Fertilizer and all the sun you can give it.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:40 pm

Exciting amount of potential on this tree.

I would keep all your main branches for the time being. The advise from Jim Lewis is good. I like the odd placement and look of the 90 degree angle, that unfortunately has a knob. When trimming branches short, as Jim suggested, leave a few immediately below the knob long, let them escape for a couple seasons, to thicken the trunk below the knob. The knob should disappear as the trunk thickens.

Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Cordon Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:52 pm

Here are a couple shots of the tree last spring. They are definitely vigorous growers. Since it was a ground layer I won't have to deal with a tap rot, but I haven't seen the roots in two seasons. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I actually have roots all the way around. I'm definitely going to prune back to two or three buds on all branches and do some wiring. maybe I'll get budding on the older wood like I did last year. For now I'm keeping the sucker. I can always cut it off later if it interferes with the design.

Siberian Elm Development Img_4810
Siberian Elm Development Img_4811
Siberian Elm Development Img_4812
Siberian Elm Development Img_4813

I carved out the dead stumps this summer. I think it's off to a pretty good start, I'll just have to wait and see how it develops.

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:05 am

Nice bark on it
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:26 am

Really nice piece of material there, great bark and plenty of character in the trunk, especially with the carving which certainly looks a lot better than ugly saw cuts.

For me though the big problem is with that dead straight first branch/sub trunk. It's just such a contrast with the gently curving main trunk. I fear that over time it could only get thicker and more noticeable. The 90 degree bend isn't very pleasing to the eye either.

I think if it was mine I would give serious thought to cutting it all off close to the trunk and building an entirely new branch structure. If you left a stump it would probably pop some buds from around the base and anyway, being an Elm and obviously very vigorous, it should back bud elsewhere too.

You could leave the small branch that's growing at the base, I think that could be used but like I say, for me at least, that straight section would have to go.

Having said that, I have a big Siberian Elm that probably needs similar treatment. Somehow it's always easier to make that kind of radical recommendation for someone else's tree than it is to do it to your own Laughing

Regards

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Cordon Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:26 am

Siberian Elm Development Img_6216

Here is a slightly better front. The 90 degree branch does not look quite so extreme from here. A couple months to do until spring however. No need to get impatient.

Cordon

Cordon

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:25 am

I like that front. And angles tend to soften with growth.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Jan 04, 2015 2:29 pm

If you cut most of those whippy branches back o a couple of nodes, it will start the buds further back on the branches to develop, giving you a head start.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:21 pm

That really is a nice chunk of trunk but I don't think that's the best view of it and however I look at the tree I still see that 90 degree bend as an eye sore.

I'd have to cut it back to at least the first branch below the 90 degree bend if not the second.

Like you say though there's certainly no rush. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Regards 

Richard
Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down