Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

juniperus chinensis first styling

+2
john blanchard
maraga
6 posters

Go down

juniperus chinensis first styling Empty juniperus chinensis first styling

Post  maraga Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:19 pm

I bought this tree for a decent price a couple of weeks ago. the tree was healthy and well rooted, but was cheap due to a very bad wiring that bit the cork really bad, some parts of the tree were impossible to use in the overall design.
I did this first styling in about 3 hours wiring included, and I notice now a few mistakes, this upper right twig for example is off the global mouvement of the tree, but I am still quite satisfied Smile
any comments?

before
juniperus chinensis first styling Img_2011

after
juniperus chinensis first styling _dsc7310

maraga

Back to top Go down

juniperus chinensis first styling Empty Re: juniperus chinensis first styling

Post  john blanchard Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:33 pm

Hi, personally I would have removed only half the foliage you have and then the rest in 12 months time at least. Taking so much foliage from a juniper all at once will set it's growth pattern back quite a bit and it will be a long while before it picks up again. Basically I'm saying that junipers'  need to be foliagepruned carefully and slowly or they will sulk for longer than expected. They don't react like deciduous where the original root mass will repair and develop a lot of foliage and branch removal in very quick time. Your juniper might even die if not treat like an invalid for another 2 growing seasons. Good luck.
john blanchard
john blanchard

Back to top Go down

Post  maraga Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:41 pm

Dont worry about it Wink i removed about 40% of the foliage. Its not the first time i proceed like this.
Beside i noticed that removing an important part of the foliage does not harm the tree so much when it comes with the whole branch Wink

maraga

Back to top Go down

Post  apisit chuldecha Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:42 am

maraga wrote:Dont worry about it Wink i removed about 40% of the foliage. Its not the first time i proceed like this.
Beside i noticed that removing an important part of the foliage does not harm the tree so much when it comes with the whole branch Wink
nice work.
I agree that, juniper will be safe when you do cut or keep that comes with the whole branch.
Apisit.
apisit chuldecha
apisit chuldecha

Back to top Go down

Post  maraga Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:49 am

Thanks Smile

maraga

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:18 pm

i seem to find some of the jin work distracting, but i can't decide which is more so:
the upper most one, pointing downward
or the second one from the bottom...

i know i am only looking at it in 2-d and it probably looks very different in real life

otherwise, it looks really good for a first styling...

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  maraga Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:21 pm

The jins will be shortened. But i always do it in two times (or more) but for now they are indeed too long Smile
Thank you for your comment

maraga

Back to top Go down

Post  giga Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:07 pm

They kinda look like alligator teeth lol but all in all it'll be a nice tree
giga
giga

Back to top Go down

juniperus chinensis first styling Empty SubSpecies ?

Post  Guest Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:55 pm

It looks Shimpaku,  is it ?

I agree with Blanchard a little too much pruning...

I don't care for the Jin at all, I think the Trunk is sufficiently Bonsai as is...

Very nice Bonsai ...

Back to top Go down

Post  maraga Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:13 pm

I have some issues recognising the different kinds of junipers to be honest. I know its nothing european. It may be shimpaku, it would be cheap then. But once again. This tree was severely bitten by some old wires cutting almost completely off some well placed branches so i guess it was probably a reason for this bargain (i paid this tree 45€)
And once again. Dont worry about the pruning. I'll keep you updated. I am 100% sure this tree will be fine Smile

maraga

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:39 am

Looks like Shimpaku to me. You cut off just the right amount. Go big or go home. These can take a lot of abuse and bounce right back. It should take right off come spring.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down