Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014

+10
hungbonsai
Sorcertree
John Quinn
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
fiona
kauaibonsai
Robert Steven
dick benbow
DougB
Khaimraj Seepersad
14 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 Empty Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014

Post  Robert Steven Fri Nov 21, 2014 3:36 pm

The Multimedia Bonsai Presentation concept has presented the beauty of 4th dimension of bonsai art. This was a creative break through to the glass ceiling effect in bonsai art that had successfully raised bonsai to a higher level, specifically in the exhibition presentation.

Multimedia is a common term in many art forms, but for the first time it was presented in bonsai art; and the Multimedia concept had presented the beauty of 4th dimension in bonsai art during the exhibition of International Bonsai Art & Culture Biennale 2014 in Yogyakarta, Indonesia, 18th – 21st 2014. This was a creative break through to the glass ceiling effect in bonsai art that had successfully raised bonsai to a higher level, specifically in the exhibition presentation.

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation is a concept of collaboration of different art forms in the presentation of bonsai art. It is not merely a static bonsai display but a dynamic presentation that create an interactive communication between the bonsai and the viewers, and both are objects and being subjects at the same time; and they get involved at in one place in real time. It is a presentation, an expression, an atmosphere, a nuance, a moment that cannot be separated but to experience in real time in entire emotional involvement. It is what we call the presence of the 4th dimension.
The bonsai presentation at IBA&CB 2014 was not only the three spatial dimensions of the bonsai as an object with common display as we always see, but there was additional dimension of time and other elements that explain to specify completely the atmosphere of the event, the perception (consciousness), feeling (sensation), nuance and imagination; not only to see, but also to feel, to listen and to sense. It was a meeting point of multi-aspect and multimedia, it was a new experience, a stage of mind in bonsai art.

In this concept, bonsai is still the main object, but the individual object does not stand alone partially or separately, but all are configured in integration through different bridging elements. There were trees, grasses, sands, water, smoke, fragrant, sculptures, carving, painting, installation, theatrical dance, sounds, music and other different elements; and each has different shapes, forms, lines, textures and characters, but all were integrated in multi-dimensional rhythm, flow and intonation of harmony.

The bonsai were no more separated entities, but melting in the exhibition hall as a medium together with other elements involved in real time; including the layout flow of rooms and spaces, the wall, the partitions, the columns, pillars etc. If there was a single bonsai lying on the floor without accentuation, it was not a wild tone jumping out from the rhythm, but could be a bridging beat that linked to the next. Even the dropping leaves on the floor was not an accident, it was the emphasizing element to the theme; the spreading sands was another dimensional accentuation to the composition rather than simply a boundary function between the bonsai and the viewers, it was an effective communicating element to bridge the bonsai and the viewers without distance. The combination of sculptures, carving, wires, clothes, containers, pedestals, accent-plants, accessories, were all playing synergic roles of their own flow and movement in multi dimensions. Even the sound, lighting and fragrant had presented the mysterious, magical and contemplating atmosphere. And this entire collaboration with the involvement of the viewers created the sensational beauty of the 4th dimension.

In the oriental way of appreciation to arts, there are three important aspects that an art form should comply, e.g. 真 (zhen), 善 (shan), 美 (mei). Zhen refers to originality, truth and honesty of the creation. It can be wrong, less beautiful or imperfect, but should be honest in art. Shan refers friendly, good, beneficial, valuable, functional and inspiring to others. Without positive impact to others, it is not a good artistic creation. Mei refers to beauty, no matter what the implicit message is of an artistic creation, it should be aesthetically beautiful and give comfortable sense to the viewers.

IBA&CB 2014 had provided the key to open the door to new perspective, had started the basic implementation of Multimedia Bonsai Presentation concept and apply the zhen-shan-mei. But since this was the first time, with the limitation of resources and time, the over enthusiastic in numbers of bonsai, so there were many details not well refined, some bridging elements did not function ideally, some flows were not well connected especially between the indoors and outdoors presentation. There are rooms to improve, there are more to find to collaborate and there are details to be refined. So let’s continue to explore and develop the concept so that the 4th dimension of bonsai art can provide better accommodation to the creative artists to express their selves, and give a new experience of sensation and fun to the bonsai world.

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 110

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1a10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 210

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 310

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 410

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 510

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 710

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 610

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 810

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1010

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1110

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1210

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1310

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 13a10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1410

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 14a10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1510

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1610

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1710

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1810

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 1910

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2010

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2110

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2210

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2310

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2410

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 O10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 P10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 Q10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 R10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 S10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 T10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 U10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 M10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 N10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 L10

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 Hr536510

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2510

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 3610

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 3710

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 3810

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4010

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4110

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4210

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4310

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4410

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4610

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4710

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4810

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 5210

....... to be continued........

Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 Empty Re: Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014

Post  Robert Steven Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:16 pm

The video clip of IBA&CB 2014....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sB7k0mjoSoo
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 Empty Re: Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:23 pm

Sifu,

as usual exceptional trees!!

But the multi bit was called, Performance Art back in the late 70's to 80's.

I hope you don't lose your audience to your trees from too much info [ overload.]
Thanks for taking the time to post.
Will look at the Youtube later.
Laters.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:49 pm

Wonder if the US bonsai shows would ever embrace such a show.

DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:02 pm

I think what initially impressed me was that each tree was given space for individuality. Not the usual all on the same presentation table, tree after tree, in boring succession. I'm sure the show was not for everyone but it's fresh new approach had my attention.
Thanks for sharing....Smile
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Nov 22, 2014 6:09 pm

Thanks for the comments. But IBA&CB 2014 was not an exhibition that can be enjoyed through photos that only show a 2-D object from certain angle...where sometimes everything looks mixing together. As described..it was an experience in real time in real presence. We were presenting 4-D....although still many things to improve within the aesthetic path...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Dec 02, 2014 5:38 am

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2611

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 2810

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 3110
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:31 am

hi robert

are the last 2 from rudi julianto?

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Dec 02, 2014 6:49 am

No Sam, they are from Bali, I don't have the names of the owners...
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:35 am

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 3911

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 5010

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 5810
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:20 pm

DougB wrote:Wonder if the US bonsai shows would ever embrace such a show.

Actually, I'd have to say that some of the exhibits I've seen posted on here from Arthur J's North Carolina Expo have been heading in that direction.

I like the artistry in this exhibition and it has the twist of the unexpected about it. I would worry that it has a bit too much "action" going on. The exhibits are fairly busy, and there seemed little scope for quiet meditation. SOmetimes, for me (stress on the me bit) the trees were getting lost in the overall exhibit - which I am happy to accept may just have been photo angles etc.

That is not a criticism, btw. I would most certainly pay to see something like this in the UK.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:19 pm

fiona wrote:
DougB wrote:Wonder if the US bonsai shows would ever embrace such a show.

Actually, I'd have to say that some of the exhibits I've seen posted on here from Arthur J's North Carolina Expo have been heading in that direction.  

from what i have personally seen, while arthur certainly can be non-traditional (in the oriental sense), some of this may be a bit too avante garde for arthur's tastes as he leans toward the naturalistic in both his trees and displays (though i would not presume to speak for him)...

but apart from that, i can see many north americans (my-self included) embracing this type of free-form display as it breaks from a tradition that earlier practitioners have adopted (despite having no direct cultural reference point) and that some of us are attempting to shed...

in short, i think this type of display is dy-no-MITE !!! cherry
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:05 pm

beer city snake wrote:
from what i have personally seen, while arthur certainly can be non-traditional (in the oriental sense), some of this may be a bit too avante garde for arthur's tastes as he leans toward the naturalistic in both his trees and displays (though i would not presume to speak for him)...

I wasn't so much meaning Arthur himself as some of the people who have exhibited at the Carolina Expo, including our own John Geanangel and Ken Duncan who have been known to push a few boundaries.

fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:26 pm

sorry - didnt mean to misinterpret...

john gee- Beaurangel is one of the guys i was hoping to meet when i visited a month ago, but he lives in a different carolina Rolling Eyes Embarassed

hopefully he will be at the expo next year.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:21 pm

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 8910

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 4910

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 9010
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:21 am

I love it! Exceptionally imaginative and effective. Arthur Joura has, for years, displayed some of the Arboretum's collection against a backdrop of art that he has produced for each piece. I think he'd find much of this very interesting.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sorcertree Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:35 am

Sorcertree

Back to top Go down

Post  hungbonsai Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:56 am

wonderful!

hungbonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Todd Ellis Thu Dec 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Brilliant! I chuckled when I saw "Norman Rockwell" ... May I presume that the young man, covered in wire, danced in the milieu?
Todd Ellis
Todd Ellis

Back to top Go down

Post  Wonderkeeper Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:51 am

I love the idea and hope it will be more show like this in the future.
Wonderkeeper
Wonderkeeper

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:49 pm

Fiona wrote:I like the artistry in this exhibition and it has the twist of the unexpected about it. I would worry that it has a bit too much "action" going on. The exhibits are fairly busy, and there seemed little scope for quiet meditation. SOmetimes, for me (stress on the me bit) the trees were getting lost in the overall exhibit - which I am happy to accept may just have been photo angles etc.

I'm all in favor of the multimedia approach, but Fiona is right -- some of these are too filled up with "stuff for stuff's sake."

That's the way, though, when new methods of any kind are being developed. Someone has a good concept, and then as it is encouraged and developed, a few take it a step or two too far; then the next time and the next, there are adjustments, until they get it right.

And, of course, the "too far" may become more acceptable as time passes.

A very fun show.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:05 pm

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 5510

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 5610

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 6110
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  jgeanangel Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Robert...I am late to the party but I just wanted to say how impressed I am with your show. The creativity and imagination are just off the scale!! I cannot imagine how long it took to put together all of these displays! Looks like a very nice venue as well. I also love the notion of the black scissors group:) Absolutely great work!!!! I truly hope it has the desired affect!

John

jgeanangel

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Dec 12, 2014 9:39 pm

i really dig most all of it, but this one bothered me enough that i wanted to comment on it...

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 5610

i love the wind blown pin-up girl as everything about her supports the wind through the tree...
(even the direction of her eyes !)

but then the decidedly un-wind-blown ballerina puts the kibosh on all that movement...
it is like a stop sign at the end of a drag-strip, where the dragster should coast to a finish rather than stop abruptly.

that seems like "stuff for the sake of stuff"

just my opinion.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:19 am

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 5410

Multimedia Bonsai Presentation - IBA&CB 2014 3310
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next