Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Obviously a Clump?

+2
JimLewis
Ryan
6 posters

Go down

Obviously a Clump? Empty Obviously a Clump?

Post  Ryan Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:24 pm

Hey everyone,

Just thought I'd get your opinions on whether or not this tree is screaming to be a clump. It's about 2 feet tall with a 5 inch trunk. It's got 4 branches coming off the trunk and jutting up into the air. Each branch only has foliage at the top of the canopy. My plans are to chop the branches back and re-work them to introduce taper and get some backbudding. What do you all think? Clump? Sumo? Anything?

(Sorry for the busy pictures!)

Obviously a Clump? 00212
Obviously a Clump? 00313
Obviously a Clump? 00411
Obviously a Clump? 00511
Obviously a Clump? 00612

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Obviously a Clump? Empty Re: Obviously a Clump?

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:38 pm

I think it will make a better three trunk. I'd remove the "middle" one that seems to go straight up.

A fig, right? If so, make short stumps out f the remaining three and see what develops. Not ideal material, but there may be something there.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:52 pm

JimLewis wrote:I think it will make a better three trunk.  I'd remove the "middle" one that seems to go straight up.  

A fig, right?  If so, make short stumps out f the remaining three and see what develops.  Not ideal material, but there may be something there.

Thanks Jim, that was my thinking as well. It's a Willow Leaf Ficus, so my current plan is to let it grow and get healthy, then wack it way back.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Lewis Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:26 am

All the trunks lack taper and movement, boring. Cut one back to about two inches and cut the others off completely. No shortage of new shoots will follow. It could make a beautiful sumo....

Colin Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:05 am

Colin Lewis wrote:All the trunks lack taper and movement, boring. Cut one back to about two inches and cut the others off completely. No shortage of new shoots will follow. It could make a beautiful sumo....

That was exactly my thinking, it's got a large base for sumo. There just isn't one trunk that is in a great position to create a new future leader, and that's problematic.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Lewis Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:28 am

You might need to tilt the tree back a little, and some sympathetic carving will be needed. But this should be easy enough.

Obviously a Clump? -110

Colin Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:48 am

Colin Lewis wrote:You might need to tilt the tree back a little, and some sympathetic carving will be needed. But this should be easy enough.

Obviously a Clump? -110

Wow, thank you for this Colin! I like the concept, but I'd like to avoid carving as best as possible. I don't trust exposed wood on Ficus.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:38 pm

'Those trunks represent a lot of time. Can the front be rotated so that all four trunks show? If grown for health as you plan, some work to promote back-budding could give you some new branching that in the long run will allow you to cut the trunks at varying lengths from say 2-4 inches and go with a sumo style.

Regards, David
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:16 am

if you go sumo, go with odd # of trunks... in this case 1 or 3 or wait for a 5th to pop...

i'm no traditionalist, but i do like when numbers make sense...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:51 am

In Japan, an odd number. In China, even. In Wisconsin, I'm sorry shouldn't 4 be a sign of perfection? Laughing
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Lewis Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:14 am

Precarious wrote:'Those trunks represent a lot of time.  

Not really, they grow rapidly in the nurseries in Florida and those trunks are probably only five years old. They can be regarded as sacrifice trunks used to build that magnificent base.

Can we see pictures of the other three sides? There may be other options worth considering.

Colin Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:45 pm

Precarious wrote:In Japan,  an odd number.  In China, even.  In Wisconsin, I'm sorry shouldn't 4 be a sign of perfection? Laughing

i'm no football fan, but in wisconsin the number 4 represents a great football player, but a lousy human being...
(apart from what everyone has seen on the news, i have heard some 1st hand accounts of some scum-baggery involving brent, chimura and others in the north woods Suspect )

but we digress...

yes, lets see some more sides of the tree... cool to see colin "engaged"
(man, i hate that word now)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:06 am

Colin Lewis wrote:
Can we see pictures of the other three sides? There may be other options worth considering.

This is really the only other usable side. It's the "front" turned to the left a little. It only shows two trunks, and when chopped down, I could get some decent buds in this area.

Obviously a Clump? 00813

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:30 am

I would go with Colin...carving figs is not a problem since they heal so well. You can leave the right most trunk a bit longer as future apex.
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Colin Lewis Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:20 am

I think I'd go with me too tongue This is a better front, you could just superimpose my earlier virtual.

Colin Lewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:54 am

Will do, I'm just waiting on some growth before I whack 'em back.

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:08 am

I actually think this is a better front...
Obviously a Clump? Wlf10

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:51 pm

Exposed a bit more trunk from under the soil:
Obviously a Clump? 00111
Obviously a Clump? 00215
Obviously a Clump? 00412

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down