Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones

+2
dick benbow
riversoul
6 posters

Go down

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Empty few natural Ba Yin mountain stones

Post  riversoul Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:53 am

I just come back from my travell and get few new Ba Yin mountain stones from a freind who came back from the mountain of Ba Yin stone origin last week.

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140813
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140814
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140819
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140820
url=https://servimg.com/view/18710552/180]few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140821[/url]
It look like sinkhole(Doline,Tian Keng) in Chongqi, China
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Qqayu212
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Qqayu213
It is Wulong Tian Keng in Chongqi, China

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140816
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140817
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140818
It look like sinkhole(Doline,Tian Keng) in Guangxi, China. Leye Tian Keng

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Qqayu210
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Qqayu211
a famous Leye Tian Keng in Guangxi.

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140822
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140823

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Qqayu214
It is natural mountain gate near Beijing, China.

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140824
few natural Ba Yin mountain stones 20140825
I don't know how to use the big stone, so I want to plant a small bonsai in the hole, but I am not good at planting bonsai. If you were me, How can you use the big Tian Keng stone ?

Thanks and regards.

riversoul
riversoul
riversoul

Back to top Go down

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Empty Re: few natural Ba Yin mountain stones

Post  Guest Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:18 am

Hi Riversoul

It is stunning stones you have....
The last stone I like the best...I would keep it in the shade in the garden, and use it as a  waterstone for the small birds....you can also find out the cost of shipping it to Denmark Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  riversoul Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:34 am

Thank Yvonne Graubaek. But I really don't know how to use the big stone exactly, I haven't any garden in my house. I would like to give to IBC member as a present if anyone like it, but the stone is big nearly 30 kgs

riversoul
riversoul
riversoul

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:22 pm

Think the stone is exquisite. And your offer to gift it,very generous.

I was thinking about what our government would do if it shipped to the states. I get a hobby magazine from Japan (Koi) and you can see the envelop has been cut and checked for contents. I've been a member of ZNA for decades, still each month it gets checked.
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Bugeye Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:53 pm

Those are amazing stones. Love all of them.

Bugeye

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:18 pm

Hi Riversoul

The stones are stunning.
in the title you call them Ba Yin...but under the "sinkholestone" do you call them Tian Keng ?, can you explain ?

How are these stone being found?...stones on the soil?

Hope you find time to answer my many questions.

kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  riversoul Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:06 pm

Hi, Yvonne Graubaek, good question.
Please check my topic "Share some pictures of origin of Ba Yin mountain stone" before, you can see some pictures of the place in the mountain, the few Ba Yin mountain stones are just come from there.
They are real natural Ba Yin mountain stone but not sinkholestone, because the stone look like sinkhole(Tian Keng), so I only call it Tian Keng stone. " just like a nickname, in fact, it is Ba Yin mountain stone. Tian Keng " is Chinese, it is one kind of karst topography, Chinese call it "Tian Keng"(天坑). You can see few pictures of Landscapes above, that is "Tian Keng"(天坑).

Hope you can understand.

regards.

riversoul
riversoul
riversoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:35 pm

Hi Riversoul

I understand...will take one more look at the topic. Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:39 pm

Hi Riversoul... Among the earliest classical Chinese scholar rocks were yanshan "ink stones" used in natural contour on a scholars' desk for rubbing ink. Typically, they have a waterpool of modest depth that looks like a mountain lake surrounded by peaks. Highest peaks often stand behind the water pool.

Kemin Hu has written several articles about yanshan stones for English readers, & she noted their presence in the Ming Dynasty text Suyuan Shippu (Suyuan Stone Catalogue). Among the most famous (owned by Emperors &/or scholars) from the Ming text were the Cangxue Hall Mountain Inkstone, the Baojin Studio Mountain Inkstone & the Haiyue Temple Mountain Inkstone; and some were quite large. For reference, see of Scholars' Rocks in Ancient China: the Suyuan Stone Catalogue, by Kemin Hu, 2002, pages 16-27.

Kemin has gifted a yanshan stone to the U.S. National Bonsai & Penjing Museum that relates in size to yours (I'll look for a photo).
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  riversoul Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:57 am

Hi, Chris Cochrane:
I admire you also konw Chinese inkstone information.
I only learn to know a little about inkstone in China, the four famousest inkstones in China are below:
1. She inkstone(歙砚): produced in She country in An Wei province.
2. Duan inkstone(端砚):produced in Zhao Qing in Guangdong province.
3. Tao inkstone(洮砚): produced in Lin Tao, Gan Su province.
4. Deng Ni inkstone(澄泥砚): produced in Jiang Zhou, Shanxi province, it is one kind of mud inkstone because its raw material is special mud but not real stone, so it is also call "ceramic inkstone"
In ancient China, people write a word with ink brush but not pen, so inkstone is popular at that time, but now inkstone is only as an artwork in China due to people no long use ink brush to write, even some Chinese children don't know inkstone. But so far many place in China still produce and process beautiful inkstone, some excellent inkstones made by famous master are at very high price in the art markets.
My city also produce one kind of famous inkstone called "Liu inkstone" , I hear that it has a history for more than one thousand years. but we can seldom find it in the market, I don't know why, and I only know little about it.

With regards.

riversoul
riversoul
riversoul

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:39 am

Hi Riversoul

How is the stones ben cleaned after you found them?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Thu Sep 04, 2014 4:12 pm

That is an entrancing stone Riversoul. Even with limited knowledge in Bonsai, a tree such as Fujian Tea could be planted in it. The biggest issue, it looks like, would be a high-speed drill to create a drainage hole in the bottom. Perhaps no garden space would be needed. Near a window or under a grow light, it should provide years of inspiration with only a moderation of tree training. Maybe it is also possible to see only moss growing in the bowl of it. The simplicity of that is beauty by itself! Thank you so much for sharing.

David
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:54 pm

Hi Riversoul...  I urge you not to cut a hole in the bottom of this stone if it is otherwise natural.  If it has already been cut, then a hole (for planting) would be a reasonable alternative.

I couldn't find a photo of Kemin's gift stone to the U.S. National Bonsai & Penjing Museum except in an article when it as first presented.  At that time, it was described as a landscape view stone depicting a a lake at the base of a mountain.  Many yanshan (natural contour "inkstones" treasured by scholars) have similar appeal as a landscape scene.  Kemin's stone can be sen on page 6 of the National Bonsai Foundation Bulletin, Summer 2000 (Vol 11, #1)-- linked HERE.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Hi Riversoul

It is stunning stones you have....
The last stone I like the best...I would keep it in the shade in the garden, and use it as a  waterstone for the small birds....you can also find out the cost of shipping it to Denmark Smile

Kind regards Yvonne

Riversoul did pm me, and gave a offer I could NOT refuse....The stone is now in my garden Smile

few natural Ba Yin mountain stones Img_6218

MANY THANKS Riversoul, the whole transaction has ben a easy pleasure, and I will be back in the future, hoping for your help, with finding a good stone for me, when...

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:54 pm

Nice to see a stone from an one IBC stone friend in the the collection of another IBC stone friend. Congratulations to you both.

Thanks to everyone for keeping the trading & selling among friends off IBC Forum discussion, however, as it is a breach of IBC's "Acceptable Use Policy." Please do not ask (or respond) on the discussion thread about the transaction, though anyone is might contact Yvonne or Riversoul using the private Personal Messaging on IBC.

Thanks.

Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Poink88 Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:58 pm

Yvonne Graubaek wrote:Riversoul did pm me, and gave a offer I could NOT refuse....The stone is now in my garden Smile

CONGRATS!!! I like that stone (though i know nothing about stones Razz ), definitely different and can even be an awesome pot if you choose to.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi Chris and PoinK88

Many thanks Guys...
Had I bought the stone, would I not have mentioned it here, as I know the policy...the stone was a gift flower .

All though the basin is big, does the stone not hold a lot of water due to the slanting floorshape, and to use it as a pot, is not realy me.....I think the future for the stone is to have the basin filled with sand, as much as possible, and then a low layer of moss growing in the surface, like a valley between huge Mountains...the stone will have its futureplace in semishade on a pretty spot in the garden, as a gardenstone.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:39 pm

Im sure it will look beautiful, very subtle! What a generous gift! Im happy for you!
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:42 pm

I like your inclination for displaying the stone in the garden using sand & moss, Yvonne.  If it accepts a bit of moss or lichen, those elements would convey natural aging & weathering rather than debris.  For strict suiseki (Japanese-style) enthusiasm, that would not be an option. Arguably, Chinese (as well as modern international) stone appreciation allows more tolerance for surface enhancement; such as Richard Rosenblum's scholar's rock with mossy flat top that was used traditionally as a base for burning incense (illustrated in the text Worlds Within Worlds).

Of course, this stone is also lovely in its pristine cleanliness.  I wish I found more stones as whole & clean as this one appears to be.  Often it takes years of nourishing a stone with stains before they disappear.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:12 am

Hi Chris

To try to create a landscape using a mosslayer in the  "pool", is just me playing....not suiseki...I want to try to find the right spot in the garden, not too sunny and not too hot, to make it work, at least for a while....but with my experience will it be more than dificult to keep it nice...I will try anyway, it may just give a nice Photo, before I give it up  Smile
If it works, will the sideeffect lichen not be what I want, in this little clean fairytale landskape....

I adore lichen on gardenstones, and this is how it may end...without the valley below.

In your reply you said .....Often it takes years of nourishing a stone with stains before they disappear....
My English is not good enough to understand  it, and Google is no help...can you explain in other words?

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down