Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Insect treatment of tropicals before bringing them in for the cold season

3 posters

Go down

Insect treatment of tropicals before bringing them in for the cold season Empty Insect treatment of tropicals before bringing them in for the cold season

Post  Precarious Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:41 pm

I have searched on this topic and did not find it previously addressed in the forums. Hope I am not bringing something up that is well-documented already.

I have been advised in the past to sprinkle a systemic insecticide on my tropical bonsai trees approximately a month before bringing them in for the cold season. This was put forth as a way to prevent infestation once the insects are separated from what keeps them in check outdoors. Well, I am almost to that time of year (growing zone 4 or 5, depending who you ask). A powder from Fertilome was recommended, the name of which escapes me. It seemed to work okay, but also seems to slow water drainage through the soil for a time. Alternately, I have sprayed neem oil (twice, about a week apart) on my plants when infestations have occurred. That's no fun in the house, and seems to suppress rather than eliminate the problem.

I have a variety of bonsai that I grow indoors- Fukien Tea, Brazilian Rain Tree, Eugenia Myrtifolia, Ficus, Schefflera, Crassula and Pachypodium- so I may not find a single solution for me, but what I am requesting is what others do regarding insects when they bring tropicals in for the cold months.
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Insect treatment of tropicals before bringing them in for the cold season Empty Re: Insect treatment of tropicals before bringing them in for the cold season

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:23 pm

SAFER INSECTICIDAL SOAP

pretty easy to use and pretty benign stuff...

not a systemic, but it takes care of the problem once (and if) it shows up...

my ficus had the scales pretty bad when i first got it direct from florida and that took care of it....
important thing is 3 apps about 7-10 days apart which gets 'em in their various life cycles

i'm just kinda against using something for a problem that doesnt yet, and might not, exist.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Insect treatment of tropicals before bringing them in for the cold season Empty Re: Insect treatment of tropicals before bringing them in for the cold season

Post  JimLewis Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Modern pesticides don't stick around to make winter-long preventative spraying (unless pests are actually present) very useful. Vigilance is required in winter, too.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down