Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

new two point display

+8
fiona
Leo Schordje
William N. Valavanis
JimLewis
ogie
Stan Kengai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Peter E.
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

new two point display Empty new two point display

Post  Peter E. Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:26 pm

I am trying to put together a display for my small Pine.
I wanted to use the Rose accent but it stands higher then the table.new two point display Pine-210
Is it acceptable to place the table on a platform to raise the height ?.new two point display Pine-111

Should I look for another accent ?.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

new two point display Empty Re: new two point display

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:35 pm

depends on how much you care about "rules" as opposed to what appeals to you  Wink 
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Stan Kengai Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:40 am

The rose and pine are too similar in structure/texture for me. I'd pick another accent.

Stan Kengai

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:49 am

Hmmm,
I personally like the pine and higher level but the rose a bit to tall, it should be complimentary and not fighting ( overpowering ) to catch each others point... Perhaps a small figurine or tiny planted pot or my favorite a suiseki...cheers

Regards,
Ogie  Smile 
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:19 pm

I see nothing wrong with the rose, or with its height. I suppose it all depends upon how "Japanese" you want to be, and since most of us are NOT Japanese, I don't think we're necessarily constrained to the 100% Japanese aesthetic.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:38 pm

Nice display!

I like the pine elevated on the box.

The rose is good too, however in my taste, the irregular wood slab does not contrast enough with the container the rose is so in. I suggest a darker color, more geometric on shape.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Leo Schordje Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:40 pm

I like the combination, rose & pine say early summer. To my mind, and I am not an authority, the comment by Bill Valvanis is dead on, the slab under the rose detracts from the display. I am ambivalent on whether to elevate the pine or not. Both images are attractive, the one without elevating the pine, visually makes the pine closer, whole feel is more immediate, and makes the pine look smaller, almost a cottage garden feel. Elevating the pine puts it 'farther away' as in a mountain scene. Definitely makes the pine look like a larger tree in the distance. Either way has its good points. I think Bill V is right, and the elevated pine is a little better. Though both images are nice.
Leo Schordje
Leo Schordje

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:55 pm

Thank you all for your thoughts.
Bill, i agree that the jitta should be darker but it should not be the same colour as the table so maybe a black one would work.
Leo, you got it spot on.Summer in the mountains.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:43 pm

Hi Peter

I have a question about the direction of the tree, as I have a similar, and I still wonder....
It is not a critisism of your tree, witch I like, but a regular question, and I hope for a good explanation.

Your tree grow out of the soil in the direction to the right...then the tree had a severe setback in the nature ( the design), forcing it to grow in the left direction...afterwards does the tree grow back towards the right, to gain the original ballance...should right be the natural right direction in the display and not the left, as you have choosen, and no one have reacted on.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:52 pm

Yvonne,
I inherited this tree 45 years after it's first design.
I was just trying to make good the original concept of this tree, by using the original trunk line.
I have a pic' from 20 ears ago when I took this tree to a show with some others.
It was a similar design but had a flat top which was more prominent then.
Views have changed so I felt this was a more modern concept.
Just trying to balance foliage with trunk line.
Hope this helps.
With regards the show pictures, I think the movement is to the left, so that is where I placed the accent which moves to the right thus closing the setting.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 am

Hi Peter

I hope you did not misunderstand me about the design...it is normal for a tree who had a accident, to try to go back to previus shape, and this is what your tree does....
But in a display do I sometimes find the placement of trees strange.....if you step a lot back can you see the direction is to the left...but when you get closer  to the tree, can you see its direction is heading to the right side, and the kusamono is standing behind the tree...Many times, also in Japan have I seen this, and it makes me not pleased, as I think the owerall design of the display, take out the trees personality....I show you my pine...the design also show a tree who had a blow, and the branch that survived is growing back to the original ballance...on witch  side will you place the kusamono?
new two point display Img_6012

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:10 pm

Yvonne,

In my opinion, LEFT side accessory positioning, DEFINATELY, NO need for me to think about it. It would look strange on the right side.

Just my opinion, based on my taste, background and 50 years experience.

Bill

Nice tree by the way, but I would select a round or equal sided container to emphasize the strong diagonal trunk movement, just my thought.
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 1:07 pm

Hi Bill

I was hoping for strong responce from you, and I did...Many thanks  Smile .
I still may feel diffrent, can't help it.... but it is important to show the tree in the right manner.
The vintage yamaaki container has become a little small this year, the tree had a nice growing season...the pot is only 19 cm ...small tree.
I prefer a oval or rectangel container...could you show me a nice pot usefull for my tree?, this would be a great help and inspiration Smile 

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:10 pm

LIKE.

I agree with Yvonne about the basic direction of the tree itself, BUT, its placement in the pot means that the direction for the display purposes is more natural to the other side. To be able to place an accent to the right as we look at it would require a much stronger flow to that side in the crown. It currently doesn't have that. All of course in my humble opinion.

I like the composition with the caveat that I too think it needs a darker jitta.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:32 pm

Many thanks Fiona

I understand that basicly is it the lowest branch that decide the direction of the display, and not the tree itself....I just was on FB, and I can see I am not the only person who feel the tree it self should point out the direction of the display in some cases, and not just the owerall look/direction of the tree....but enough of this, I am very pleased to have the right answer, I can now exhibit the tree with confidence, and I know when to zip  Smile

Hi Peter

You made a nice clean display with the covered box, having the same color as the tablecloth...it is a nice homedisplay...in a exhibition would the black box stand out on a table with a another color tablecloth, and the idea would not be the same....a higher elegant stand would be what you would want to use, together with your elegant tree.
I adore the rose in the bamboopot, but I am not kean on it as a kusamono, it is too tall....maybe the rose alone without the pale jitta, together with a small poolstone would be nice.

Kind regards Yvonne

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Yvonne, sorry for the late reply.
With your tree the accent should be on the left as Bill said.
I will also take on board the comments about the hight of the Rose and look for a nice pot instead.
Thank you all again for the input.

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:22 am

There are several aspects of the display, that I find out of place.
1. Putting the tree on a pedestal just does not work
2. the companion plant, while lovely and would make a great kusamono is too strong, the bamboo container too tall( I appreciate the fact that putting the main tree on a pedestal and then a relatively high stand is meant to lower the companion plant) see Willy Benz' instructions, that the top of a companion plant should not be higher than the top of the stand-for me one of the principle guide lines
3. As stated very nice tree-but it would be more suitable in an unglazed pot

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:50 am

But apart from that, how did you enjoy the play, Mrs Lincoln?  Mad Wink 
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:51 am

Fiona LOL, such an american sense of humor....Smile

I do appreciate that folks like Bill and others share their comments. It really helps to grasp their understanding of the art.
Wish we had more of this.....
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Peter E. Wed May 06, 2015 7:34 pm

Repotted and a new 2 point display.
new two point display Spring10

Peter E.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Wed May 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Hard to see the detail in this photo, but the new pot looks like a much better match for the tree than the previous one. Big improvement to my eye.
Tom
Tom

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed May 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Very nice. Scroll goes well with it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  William N. Valavanis Thu May 07, 2015 12:33 am

Beautiful bonsai and container combination

I also like the scroll, but NOT with this bonsai in my personal opinion. The pine in the scroll painting duplicates the pine bonsai. They are repetitive. If the rising sun could be isolated from the pine branch it would be greatly improved.

Bill
William N. Valavanis
William N. Valavanis

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Thu May 07, 2015 12:53 am

On the positive i do very much like the size and shape of the scroll to occupy a similar size and visual mass created by the stand. seems to balance well together

At home in my toko, I had a 3 carp flag shikishi board scroll displayed in honor of BOYS DAY Tues the 5th of may

dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Thu May 07, 2015 1:38 am

William N. Valavanis wrote:Beautiful bonsai and container combination

I also like the scroll, but NOT with this bonsai in my personal opinion. The pine in the scroll painting duplicates the pine bonsai. They are repetitive. If the rising sun could be isolated from the pine branch it would be greatly improved.

Bill

before even reading bill's opinion, i also did not like the scroll with this tree, but i am a novice and dont much want to follow the rules and all that, but to me it was a flow thing more than a repetition thing... they flowed toward each other rather than together in the same direction... but then, if they did flow in the same direction, then maybe the redundancy might have become more apparent to my novice eyes Suspect

but the tree looks super rad in that pot though !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next