Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

my burning bush is on someone's menu...

5 posters

Go down

my burning bush is on someone's menu... Empty my burning bush is on someone's menu...

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:21 pm

i have a dwarf burning bush (euonymus alatus compactus) that something appears to have taken a liking to...
i do not physically see anything on it... checked underside of leaves too...
not sure what slug-work looks like*** , but went out at night to check and didnt see any...

any thoughts would be appreciated !

top side of one:
my burning bush is on someone's menu... P6240010

bottom side of same:

my burning bush is on someone's menu... P6240011

and a couple others... one with a side nibbled off as opposed to just holes:

my burning bush is on someone's menu... P6240012

my burning bush is on someone's menu... P6240013

my burning bush is on someone's menu... P6240014

***i do however know what slugworth looks like...

my burning bush is on someone's menu... Slugwo11

he pulled up in a van once when i was a kid and offered me an everlasting gobstopper...  affraid
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

my burning bush is on someone's menu... Empty are those crickets that i hear ???

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:25 pm

silent 

no educated guesses ?
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

my burning bush is on someone's menu... Empty Re: my burning bush is on someone's menu...

Post  M. Frary Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:45 pm

Almost looks like roach burns.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

my burning bush is on someone's menu... Empty Re: my burning bush is on someone's menu...

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 pm

But if all you have is a few leaves, each with A hole in them, I'd guess you're not infested.

If I recall my Master Gardener classes on garden pests, it is snails and slugs that put holes in the interiors of leaves. Beetles start chewing at the edges.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:36 pm

thanks jim... i will check again for snails/slugs...
i reckon that just because i didnt see 'em the first time, doesnt mean they aint there.

hey M... what kinda roach burns you talkin' about ?  alien  Wink 
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:43 pm

Uh oh. Did I just throw you under a bus. Maybe a chartreuse micro bus full of long halted friends of Jesus?

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:54 pm

M. Frary wrote:  Uh oh. Did I just throw you under a bus. Maybe a chartreuse micro bus full of long halted friends of Jesus?

sheeeee-it man... wouldnt be the first time  

and is that a micro-bus full of micro-dot manipulated messianic messengers ???  flower 

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:03 pm

The very same.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  Precarious Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:52 pm

That first and largest hole looks like from a leaf cutter bee. My roses get them too often. Neutral
Precarious
Precarious

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:05 pm

thanks jim... i will check again for snails/slugs.

In the daytime slugs often are found on the undersides of pots -- often scrunched into the drainage holes. But again, if you leaves aren't looking like a colander, I would't waste too much worry on it.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  coh Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Precarious wrote:That first and largest hole looks like from a leaf cutter bee.  My roses get them too often. Neutral

Don't think it's leaf cutter bees. They generally make very smooth cuts along the edges of the leaf. See, for example:

https://www.google.com/search?q=leaf+cutter+bee+damage&biw=1108&bih=642&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=dFUPVJ-cOYSjyAT6x4HgCw&sqi=2&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

They seem particularly fond of redbuds around here.

My guess is snail/slug damage.
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:19 pm

i thought this was a dead thread, fred... i guess that poink88 guy got to you, eh ? Wink

i did end up setting a slug trap (a cap full of beer) as suggested by one of our club members...
but the free beer seems to be attracting more slugs drunken

in all seriousness though, i have to agree that it doesnt look like leaf cutter bees,,,
jim - i have to do some pot shuffling, so i will take a look as you suggested

thanks !
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:24 pm

I hope you used Coors or any of the Light Beers. It would be a shame to waste GOOD beer on slugs.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:36 pm

JimLewis wrote:It would be a shame to waste GOOD beer on slugs.  

perish the thought !

silly slugs get swill to slug...
(say that 3x fast)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down