Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Jade Tree in full flower.

+3
AlainK
MikeG
Andre Beaurain
7 posters

Go down

Jade Tree in full flower. Empty Jade Tree in full flower.

Post  Andre Beaurain Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:06 am

We recently had a discussion why Jade trees (Crassula arborescens) doesnt flower in captivity or as bonsai.

I recon it has to do with winter rain.

This tree is outside all the time, soaking wet in winter.  And look how beautiful.

A raft I started about 3 years ago.  The thing with Jade trees and Elephant bushes when you raft them, the main trunk turns upwards again, as all succulents can bend their branches by cell division.  You can actually see the stretchmarks at the bottom of the main trunk.

The apex now was a branch,  the trunk -chop scar is at the back right, one can see a bit of it, but it has healed over completely.   The branch then turned itself upwards to form the new apex, also here you can see the stretchmarks on the left side of the branch.

Look at the root ball,  half of which was in the air,  now  contracted into a tissue mass.  

Jade Tree in full flower. Jade_t10

It still has a while to go and any comments is welcome.

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Jade Tree in full flower. Empty Re: Jade Tree in full flower.

Post  MikeG Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:29 am

Very nice. I love the flowers. I really like working with Jades, I find them a lot of fun. Wish I could get them to flower like that.

Mike
MikeG
MikeG

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:53 am

Lovely  Cool 

My mother had a big potted one (about 80 cm tall and wide) that flowered every winter: Crassula need a period of low temperatures in autumn to flower. My mother's unfortunately died after a lot of rain and night frosts because it was too heavy for her to bring inside early enough, but my son has a smaller one (about 50 cm) that does flower every winter. The flowers have a tinge of pink, but the dominant colour is white. The flowers are beautriful when seen closely, like fireworks.

My biggest one is about 25cm tall, in a small pot, but this one has never flowered yet.

A photo taken in February:

Jade Tree in full flower. 20140222151055-e051c1ec-me
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:53 pm

hey andre... i'd like to hear more about the best way to get a spekboom raft going...

i know, i know... the king  OF SPEKBOOM should know his subjects a bit better...
perhaps the jocolor OF SPEKBOOM would be more apropos geek  
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Jun 17, 2014 12:56 pm

Lovely, Andre....beautiful flowers. Thanks for sharing.

Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:13 pm

Wish it was mine...can I come visit? affraid
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:10 pm

Mike Tom Kevin Alain and Neli thank you for taking the time and comment, I appreciate it.

Alain Im not to sure if it is indeed a cold spell that causes it to flower, we have a very mild Autumn, warmer than Spring. I suspect it has something to do with Nitrogen in the rain. Me thinks
I m doing a experiment at the moment. I placed one of my Jade tree bonsai in the Aridarium (I have to keep succulents and cactuses that cannot tolerate winter rain under roof, like Baobabs.)
Guess what...no blooms... So now I will start feeding it with nitrogen and see what happens...

Neli, you are most welcome to share my roof...just bring all your cuttings with, and the staff., Leave you husband... there is no work for him here... hihihihihihihi

Kevin Spekboom? Who said anything about a Spekboom. If I was in Wisconsin right now. I would hit you, with a very loose wrist of course. And then I will tell them to beam you back up.  alien 
What is the difference between a Spekboom (Elephant bush, Porkbush) and a Jade tree?

Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:45 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:We recently had a discussion why Jade trees (Crassula arborescens) doesnt flower in captivity or as bonsai.

Hm.. I used to have them as big (10+cm trunk) bushes. Would flower very often; I would leave them outside in rain and cold nights untill first frost announced. Then bring into a cool room, and don't water untill growth starts showing in spring. Water, and it will flower.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:41 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:Mike Tom Kevin Alain and Neli thank you for taking the time and comment, I appreciate it.

Alain Im not to sure if it is indeed a cold spell that causes it to flower,  we have a very mild Autumn, warmer than Spring.  I suspect it has something to do with Nitrogen in the rain.  Me thinks
I m doing a experiment at the moment.  I placed one of my Jade tree bonsai in the Aridarium (I have to keep succulents and cactuses that cannot tolerate winter rain under roof, like Baobabs.)
Guess what...no blooms...  So now I will start feeding it with nitrogen and see what happens...

Neli, you are most welcome to share my roof...just bring all your cuttings with, and the staff.,  Leave you husband...  there is no work for him here... hihihihihihihi

Kevin Spekboom?  Who said anything about a Spekboom.   If I was in Wisconsin right now.  I would hit you, with a very loose wrist of course.  And then I will tell them to beam you back up.    alien 
What is the difference between a Spekboom (Elephant bush, Porkbush) and a Jade tree?

Love and light
Andre I shall seriously try to come...no husband here...I uprooted him....
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down