Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom

5 posters

Go down

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Empty Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom

Post  Thomas Urban Sun Jun 01, 2014 10:45 am

So this one started as a cookie cutter, mass produced broom stick (The tree on the right). It was a gift for my girlfriend and she preferred this look instead of some of the ideas I had for it. So I at least re-potted it into some modern substrate and wired it to the broom style.

We left on a trip and her folks forget to water it, many of the branches then died back but as is known, retusa's are tough and a good tree for beginners so it survived in the end. Throughout the summer it began to slide onto it's side and with only two living branches/twigs it looked pathetic.
Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom 41649110

It was allowed to grow unchecked through the summer. In March 2012 I decided to do some work on it to try and give it some dignity back.
Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Imag0110

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Imag0111

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Img_2010
This wire then stayed on as long as possible and it grew freely until July 2013. Something was still really wrong with this tree though. It was the reverse taper where the original leader was chopped off, and all the new growth came out around the wound thus causing swelling here. The only thing to do then was to somehow split the trunk into two, get rid of some of that reverse taper and instead make it look like a twin trunk. In July 2013 I proceeded to carve/split it up and restyle it.
Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Img_2011
It was really healthy so a month later I decided to re-pot it into a new pot with the new front and into a pot that I think suited it better. Something between a masculine and feminine look for this tree.
Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Img_2012

It grew freely until recently, about 14 days ago, I gave it a new styling and used some of the newly acquired growth to give this still 2 dimensional tree some depth and more mass on the right side. It looks too triangular and 'pine-bonsai' like, but I will continue to add mass to the right side and create more ramification to give it a rounder crown. I think it's headed in the right direction and I am happy with how it looks now compared to what it was two years ago. This tree won't ever really look like standard spread out ficus that is common. I think I am okay with this tree breaking the rules a bit for it's species because it is really strange material.
Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom 10154910

I would appreciate any comments and suggestions. Thanks for looking.
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Empty Re: Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:47 am

So it's been almost a year, so I thought I would post a little update as to how it looks now.

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom _mg_7810

comments and tough love are welcome as always.

Thanks!
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  LanceMac10 Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:07 pm

Really nice job on some suspect material. Well done! Very Happy
LanceMac10
LanceMac10

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:37 pm

yeah... i was gonna say thats a nice glass of lemonade you made there !
(and i actually came on here today to pose a question that you might be able to address re: ficus wound healing... see separate thread)
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:03 pm

Thanks Lance!

and Kevin, my secret is, I did nothing... I actually don't cover up any wounds on any species, except I put a bit of sap-like sealant on conifers just so they don't sap all over themselves. Trees have been around hundreds of thousands of years before us and dealt with things falling on them all the time and are better at taking care of themselves than we are. I believe as long as your tree is in modern substrate, gets sun and water everyday along with fertilizer and is healthy, it doesn't need much else.

That's just what I did. Im sure the torching the wood method is great and I've done that to deciduous trees and conifers but I think conifers need the lime-sulfur on occasion to keep the dead wood features. Deciduous should look dark and rotten and should be brushed with some metallic brush occasionally to make the rot look natural.

I hope this helps Smile Thanks!
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:32 am

An update from spring to about the end of summer. I think photos are now small because of the new uploading system? In any case sorry for the bad quality pictures. I'll try to get a better shot come the next defoliation.

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Img_0810

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Img_1010

I realized that I now need to extend the left main branch to restore balance back.

Have a good day!
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:43 pm

despite the small pictures it looks like you vision of salvage was viable and it is coming along great...
good save !

btw - re the pictures, i do not believe it is the new uploading system as it not affected others that i have seen...
when uploading there is a size option... perhaps yours has defaulted to a smaller size...

take a look with your next picture.
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:06 pm

will do, what size do you usually select Kevin? 1024px width? I think I used 800 but it came out like this?
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  BobbyLane Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:12 pm

Not a ficus fan, but you've certainly improved it Very Happy
BobbyLane
BobbyLane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:18 pm

Thomas Urban wrote:will do, what size do you usually select Kevin? 1024px width? I think I used 800 but it came out like this?

no... i just use the default of 800...

if they are from your phone, perhaps you are selecting the thumbnail rather than the full pic ?
(i have found that my phone saves both and i do not know why)

Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:43 pm

I recently defoliated this little guy again and thanks to a lot of the structure holding shape, I applied only a few wires and I like the direction it's moving in.

Ficus Retusa from a nursery broom Img_3310
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:38 pm

i will say it again - Good Save !!!
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Wed May 02, 2018 10:50 am

Thanks Kev : )
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed May 02, 2018 1:08 pm

Beautiful.

How about a very shallow perhaps long pot and a shift in the balance ?

I discovered a while ago that ficus need little soil especially organic material.
My soil is 9 parts inorganic to 1 part organic.
Until.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Thu May 03, 2018 3:15 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:Beautiful.

How about a very shallow perhaps long pot and a shift in the balance ?

I discovered a while ago that ficus need little soil especially organic material.
My soil is 9 parts inorganic to 1 part organic.
Until.
Khaimraj

I never thought about increasing the pot size but I have thought about finding something more colorful for it or maybe rounder vs. the square it's in now. I am not much sure I can go shallower though Very Happy it's very shallow already.

Interesting regarding the organic and unorganic. I usually had it only in Zeolit and last year I put it in a more or less pure lava with a little bark. I am not sure what worked better but they do seem to like a soil that has a more oxygen versus water.

Thanks for the thoughts : )
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down