Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lime tree leaves turning yellow

4 posters

Go down

Lime tree leaves turning yellow Empty Lime tree leaves turning yellow

Post  tg404 Sat May 24, 2014 3:48 pm

Hello,

I have a young lime tree which I repotted a couple of months ago. It was doing very well up until last week, when the leaves started to turn yellow and dry-ish at the ends. I've read in other posts here and also other websites that this can be a result of overwatering, but I really don't think this is the case here as the soil drains very very well. There are also a few black dots on some, but not all, of the leaves. Any ideas what this is?

Thanks!!

Lime tree leaves turning yellow Dscf0810

tg404

Back to top Go down

Lime tree leaves turning yellow Empty Re: Lime tree leaves turning yellow

Post  coh Sat May 24, 2014 6:10 pm

Is "lime tree" = tilia cordata? If so...I had a similar experience. I acquired two young plants (probably 2-3 years old) a few years ago and the first summer I had major problems with yellowing and curling leaves. The problem recurred the second year, then I planted them in the ground to gain size...they've been fine in the ground. I suspect it is some kind of trace element deficiency or excess, perhaps they're very sensitive to pH, I'm not sure. Hopefully someone has some info!

Chris
coh
coh

Back to top Go down

Post  tg404 Sat May 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Thanks for the advice! Unfortunately I have no garden where I can plant them Sad I have been holding back from using fertilizer in case it is some disease and that makes them worse.. but if it is some element deficiency then I guess fertilizer may help... I may try if no one has a better suggestion!

tg404

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Sat May 24, 2014 7:11 pm

That looks a bit like chlorosis.  One of the causes -- and the most common one -- is an iron deficiency.

Be sure that the fertilizer you choose has "chelated iron" listed among the trace elements.    Excessive levels (from over-application) of phosphate, manganese, copper, or zinc may aggravate iron chlorosis, so follow label directions of the fertilizer you use.  Other causes of iron deficiency in plants include calcareous soil, overwatering and compacted soil.  

A reference:  http://www.ext.colostate.edu/mg/gardennotes/223.html#other
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Sat May 24, 2014 9:17 pm

When you say you have "no garden to plant them", can I ask where you are currently keeping this tree?
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  tg404 Sun May 25, 2014 10:52 am

I've been keeping it outside on a balcony so it gets plenty of sun! Yesterday I took it inside thinking it may help it cope better... Following everyone's comments I've applied chempak no 3 (diluted to half strength) which is supposed to be good for chlorosis (hoping this is what it actually is!)

Thanks everyone.. let's see how it goes..

tg404

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down