Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here

3 posters

Go down

More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here Empty More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here

Post  bobby little Wed Oct 14, 2009 5:49 pm

Embarassed

I got a Hawthorn piece from a nice chap name of Pete Whitcombe. Good size, nice root structure, bargain at £25. Couple of questions:

1) If I chop it back below the existing branches will it shuffle off this mortal coil as I was warned would happen to my larch?

2) If I do reduce it to Shohin size how do I reduce the size of the leaves? Will this happen naturally or is there a technique to it? I suspect fertilsers may come into it.

3) Really dumb question, which I've asked before, but got answers which assumed I'm NOT a total dipstick: will branches thicken if I cut them to the length I want, or do I leave them to grow out until the right dimensions are reched.

Answers in VERY simple (preferrably monosyllabic) terms please. I struggle to breathe and fasten my laces here folks.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here Empty More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here

Post  Guest Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Hi Bobby. Nothing dumb assed aboutyour questions. Deciduous trees can be treated differently from evergreens[ hardwood from softwood.] If your hawthorn is healthy and well established, you should be able to cut it anywhere, regardless of foliage.
Leaves will reduce with ramification.
Branches will thicken, if you cut back but not as quickly.

Back to top Go down

More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here Empty Re: More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here

Post  bobby little Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:18 pm

I thank you. Very Happy
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here Empty Re: More dumb ass questions to the annoyance of the good people on here

Post  Henrik Stubelius Wed Oct 14, 2009 11:42 pm

My experience with hawthorn is that they will bud everywhere when cut back hard, even on really old wood, be ruthless!
Henrik Stubelius
Henrik Stubelius

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:27 pm

see how stupid I am? I meant Hornbeam. what an arse I am.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:36 pm

Hornbeam bud back pretty well, too -- but maybe not a prolifically as the hawthorn would have. Smile
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Hornbeam as a woodland tree has been coppiced for centuries [ cut down to the ground] Along with most of our hardwood trees, hornbeam will shoot readily from old wood.Are you sure its hornbeam this time???

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:22 pm

yup. Sure. Like I said got it from a nice fella call pete whitcombe at the BTA in cov in the spring. A bit baffled about what to do with it because it's a bloody funny shape, so thinking of reducing it dramatically.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 pm

Show us a pic.

Back to top Go down

Post  Henrik Stubelius Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:28 am

Yeah, please, I wanna see some "bloody funny" Smile
Henrik Stubelius
Henrik Stubelius

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Sun Oct 18, 2009 5:07 pm

will baddeley wrote:Show us a pic.

I'll try but I've only got a mobile phone that I can use, and the artistic eye of a bullfrog.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:54 pm

bobby little wrote:
will baddeley wrote:Show us a pic.

I'll try but I've only got a mobile phone that I can use, and the artistic eye of a bullfrog.

nah. for some reason my p.c. is refusing to acknowledge the pictures of the offending hornbeam and won't upload them. suffice to say it's a darned whacky shape. I'm assuming it's best to do major choppage early spring same time as root work as the tree will be throwing lots of sap about and whatnot?
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:02 pm

As long as you perform your chopage before you work the roots so its nice and stable inn the pot. If you just consentrate on the top and leave the roots for the following year, you will get better calousing and branch growth.

Back to top Go down

Post  bobby little Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:51 pm

will baddeley wrote:As long as you perform your chopage before you work the roots so its nice and stable inn the pot. If you just consentrate on the top and leave the roots for the following year, you will get better calousing and branch growth.

cheers. It's potbound though, so I'll have to hoy it into a bigger tub for the year and attend to the roots the year after.
bobby little
bobby little

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down