Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Three tree Acacia galpinni progression.

+3
Jaybird
Tom Simonyi
lennard
7 posters

Go down

Three tree Acacia galpinni progression. Empty Three tree Acacia galpinni progression.

Post  lennard Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:57 pm

The oldest pics October 2011:

Three tree Acacia galpinni progression. Acacia13

The grouping today:

Three tree Acacia galpinni progression. March_13

Any comments or advice will be appreciated.

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Three tree Acacia galpinni progression. Empty Re: Three tree Acacia galpinni progression.

Post  Tom Simonyi Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:52 pm

Very nice, Lennard....thanks for sharing the progress.  I have never worked with the species but I really like the foliage. 
Tom
Tom Simonyi
Tom Simonyi

Back to top Go down

Three tree Acacia galpinni progression. Empty Acacia galpinnii

Post  lennard Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:37 pm

Tom Simonyi wrote:Very nice, Lennard....thanks for sharing the progress.  I have never worked with the species but I really like the foliage. 
Tom

Thanks for the reply.

Acacia galpinni becomes very big trees where I live and they don't have the typical shape of other Acacias(Flat top or open umbrella). As far as I remember Charles Ceronio named the shape Bushveld style .

The crowns becomes much higher than they are wide - we have one here growing in town with a trunk diameter of over 1.5 m and the tree is about 35m high.

I know the new name is Senegalia galpinnii.....but it will take a while for me to get use to it!

Lennard
lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Three tree Acacia galpinni progression. Empty Re: Three tree Acacia galpinni progression.

Post  Jaybird Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:15 pm

I just purchased my first Acacia and have been a little intimidated by it's fragility. Having seen your progression has given me much hope.
Very nice work and thanks for sharing.

Jane
Jaybird
Jaybird

Back to top Go down

Post  fredman1 Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:54 am

Beautiful. My absolute favourite tree. Love it when the leaves go to sleep at night. Thanks for sharing Lennard. You made my day  Very Happy 

fredman1

Back to top Go down

Post  Thomas Urban Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:55 am

Beautiful, nice to see that someone is actually using this species. I love how they seem to naturally look like big bonsai in the wild, they're always so contorted and the bark is just aggressive and old looking even on younger trees. Good luck!
Thomas Urban
Thomas Urban

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:20 am

Very nice, Lennard!
Acacias in the wild are my favorite trees.

May I ask what is your soil mix? I think I can see in photos a greater % of organic or not?
What are your suggestions about first root reduction of a nursery tree to be put into a training pot?

Thank you in advance.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  lennard Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:18 pm

my nellie wrote:Very nice, Lennard!
Acacias in the wild are my favorite trees.

May I ask what is your soil mix? I think I can see in photos a greater % of organic or not?
What are your suggestions about first root reduction of a nursery tree to be put into a training pot?

Thank you in advance.

Thanks for the kind words, Jane Thomas and Fredman.

Nellie, with my conditions I use a very organic soil mix: one third good garden loam, one third grit and one third unsifted home made compost. I am going to change my mix using two thirds washed river sand(particle size 1mm - 4mm mixed) and one third unsifted compost. My biggest enemy with this mix is earthworms/redworms - they can change a mix like this into a clay-like medium within one growing season!

In addition I do mulch all my trees with home made compost a few times during the growing season - doing that I don't have to fertilize a lot. I use chicken manure pellets three times during the growing season.

Acacia galpinnii takes repotting very well. I have dug one from the garden in mid summer and bare rooted it - it survived.

With my developed trees, I always leave a root ball the first time I pot it up. From there I would either remove the lower or the upper half of the growing medium every alternate repotting. I know I am playing it too safe!

Thanks all for the positive replies.

Lennard

lennard
lennard

Back to top Go down

Post  my nellie Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:06 pm

Lennard, thank you for the detailed answer.
I play on the safe side, too.
my nellie
my nellie

Back to top Go down

Post  Neli Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:59 am

Nice forest Lennard...I shall try some of mine in this style too.
Can you elaborate a bit more on this style? How are the branches and the crown formed? You know me by now...I need to understand...he he he. Idea Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes 
Neli
Neli

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down