Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

As standards change - worse or better ?

+6
Rick36
appalachianOwl
JimLewis
Michael Cooper
DougB
Khaimraj Seepersad
10 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

As standards change - worse or better ? - Page 3 Empty Re: As standards change - worse or better ?

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:40 am

Apologies Fiona,

I am afraid, I have done it again. Please lock it or remove it, if you see fit. There are situations in Bonsai, that I will always cause problems with and I accept all of the blame.
Apologies once again.
Khaimraj

Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

As standards change - worse or better ? - Page 3 Empty Re: As standards change - worse or better ?

Post  Vance Wood Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:24 pm

jun wrote:...And oh. I am a businessman too and most people in this forum are businessmen too. most of us don't like being called an oppurtunists, because we are not.

Suspect 

As standards change - worse or better ? - Page 3 15462810

Jun: You need to define what you mean as an opportunist. In my way of thinking about things you are either an opportunist or an employee. Employees work for people who were engaged enough mentally, and capable enough physically to recognize and opportunity and turn it into a business: An opportunist. I am assuming you are looking at an opportunist as one who rapes the economy etc. and takes advantage of every thing they can regardless of who suffers?
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Vance,

I promised Fiona that I would drop the - philosophical - for a long while, if not permanently, so if this conversation starts up again, I will not be around.

I will however leave this, Fine Art is my profession and a business, so on the Art forums, you expect a lot of business angles.
Bonsai is a hobby, and I have genuine problems with folk who try to turn a hobby into a business and still want to hang out on a hobby list. IBC used to be an e-mail club, but very early on, I read that there were folk doing research to write books, but somehow the e-mail situation, made the business stuff almost non-existent.

Clayart also taught me that - " the difference between Art and Craft is cost " - so everyone tries to claim Art.
I was very green when I first came to the Internet.

I know that you do sell, re-conditioned nursery plants, as I do sometimes read at other forums, when I have the time.
So I am probably insulting you as well - humble apologies.

On our side, the Bonsai Society, was started not to enrich our culture, but to gradually sell cuttings, plants to folk who had learnt the techniques from the teachers in the society.
Teaching to create a market to lead to sales.
I considered that opportunistic, as I had been taught business is for a genuine need [ say bricks for building or paper for toilet rolls ]

It is difficult to talk to some folk here, because, I keep my hobbies separate from my business of painting.

I am also not big on yammadori and the eventual sales of them, as I look at them as something for nothing, Opportunistic again.
That attitude is prevalent with our fishermen, and so-called weekend hunters of our very small population of wild-life.

Anyhow I have these high minded values which gets me into trouble.
I can do nothing to change myself, I am comfortable money-wise and can have these values.
I cannot be made to feel guilty for my state in life, I have worked for what I have, no one gave it to me.
I am also one of those who can do anything, I turn my hand to, science or art or other.
I now leave the IBC and the Internet for some months as I have structures to build, and a nephew to guide through his exams.
Once again, I apologise to you and all for any upsets,
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Hans van Meer. Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:30 pm

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:

Bonsai is a hobby,

There you go again, you just cant help yourself, can you?! Your failing on all points off this and other art forms have made you into a bitter and arrogant know it all, who keeps on insulting people that have more tallent in their little finger than you have gained from all your so called studdies of the finer arts! What art? Show us why you sit so high and mighty on your art throne, so that we can judge you like you do others so easily! Tallent like modesty cant be learned and that stings, doesn't it?!

Khaimraj Seepersad wrote:
I now leave the IBC and the Internet for some months as I have structures to build, and a nephew to guide through his exams.
Khaimraj

Thank God for that! But I do feel for that kid though!

Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.
Hans van Meer.

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:25 pm

Hans,''

I have never said I am a Bonsai Master or a skilled bonsai anything, check the letters.

BUT I do worry about what we teach or show the young to Bonsai.

My nephew, got 5 subjects last year, a distinction in Mathematics, and A's in Biology / Chemistry, as well as B's in his O'Levels. This year it is Art, Geography, and Literature.
He already has enough subjects to go onto A'levels and then hopefully to the UK to study towards being an Architect and or Car Designer. Thank you for the interest.

Never sure why you are always so sour.

Is it the yammadori thing? Remember in some countries it is illegal to collect coastal plants. On my side it can merit a visit from the police and an agricultural officer, second time a fine and removal of the plant.
Third, you spend time in jail.

Is it wise to show yammadori on an International list, check 2010 and see the image of arrested illegal collectors and the bags of trees.
Survival rate of casuarinas is supposed by less than 40%, and that is listed in the Bonsai Discussion. The Japanese will tell you much the same.

So if I start a topic on Seed/Cuttings, am I not trying to show a sensible way to grow Bonsai.
If you must collect yammadori and it is illegal, why show it on a list ?
Would it not make sense to privately collect and show seeds / cuttings in progress ?

And your positive contribution is ?
Later.
Khaimraj

* Apologies Fiona, I forgot to disconnect from the topic.
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Mon Mar 31, 2014 6:51 pm

Thanks, Brett. That's a good post to end this on.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3