Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Elm HELP

+3
AK_Panama
EdMerc
moyogijohn
7 posters

Go down

Chinese Elm HELP Empty Chinese Elm HELP

Post  moyogijohn Wed May 25, 2011 6:39 pm

Chinese Elm HELP 2011-010
Chinese Elm HELP Chines11
Chinese Elm HELP Chines12
This is the Chinese Elm I posted last year. There was a large bump on the front of the trunk. Jim Lewis said it looked pregnant, he was right lol. I need some help making the carving look more natural. Thank you all very much!!
-Take Care-
-John

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm HELP Empty Re: Chinese Elm HELP

Post  EdMerc Wed May 25, 2011 7:12 pm

It's just my opinion, but I fear that you should have asked that question before having carved it the way you did.

To make it look more natural I think would have required leaving a lot more material on the tree and working around and with that.

Carving is not planing everything flush as I think you are aware by now. This will never look very natural at this point.

Sorry.
Ed
EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Wed May 25, 2011 7:14 pm

Hello John,

I recommend visiting the following article in Harry Harrington´s website which covers how to handle scars like these!

Creating and Using 'Uro' with Bonsai
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed May 25, 2011 7:26 pm

Totally agree with Ed on this. Theres nothing left to carve. Harry's article is very good but you have to leave some wood to do it with.

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Wed May 25, 2011 7:31 pm

I agree...

I would use the dremel on it to hollow it a bit, and then use a small knife to outline the hole...

I heard that if you keep on outlining with a knife every coulple of weeks, it motivates the callous to build faster.

I´d also apply petrifier in what was carved inside and add some black ink to give a notion of depth.

Now...i´ve never done any of this myself, but it is what I would do based on what I have read and seen others do.
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed May 25, 2011 8:51 pm

I think I would extend the scar down to the soil line, like a branch was torn or broke off.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Wed May 25, 2011 9:31 pm

Thank You,,Ed Merc,,AK Panama,,Will and Billy,,For your comments..I do know now i should have left more to work with !!!!! now i have to do with what i have....maybe going down the trunk more will help i will look some more...thank you all take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu May 26, 2011 4:41 pm

Hi John.

Hope is not lost with this tree.
Sorry to disagree with the gentlemen before me.

I think this is an opportunity for you. the solution if it was my tree is not carving as chinese elms are too soft to be carved out anyway. I would prefer to airlayer the elm and create a more compact trees. probably a broom style for the lower part and an upright tree for the new (upper ) tree. airlayer just above the wounded part.

for reference on the same technique see works of sankofabonsai on his elm recently posted here, i think its in page 8.

P.S. (in general)- remembering what was previously posted here in IBC will help us most of the time in finding solution for the future or current problem we might have on our trees...and not just applaud the works and the artists involved.just my thought.

regards,
jun
Smile

Back to top Go down

Post  Randy_Davis Thu May 26, 2011 4:56 pm

moyogijohn wrote:Thank You,,Ed Merc,,AK Panama,,Will and Billy,,For your comments..I do know now i should have left more to work with !!!!! now i have to do with what i have....maybe going down the trunk more will help i will look some more...thank you all take care john

John,

Fear not!!!!! there is always a solution to each and every problem that one encounters. It may take some time. If it were my tree, I'd grow it out a bit to get a larger trunk then do as Billy suggested. Here is an example of one that I did with one of my trees that you can apply to yours over time.

Randy
Chinese Elm HELP U_p_co13
Randy_Davis
Randy_Davis

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu May 26, 2011 5:53 pm

Jun and Randy thank you both for your suggestions!!!! Both are good thoughts...I like the elm you posted Randy,,,you are makeing me droll at the mouth!!! thanks take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  AK_Panama Thu May 26, 2011 7:08 pm

I like Billy´s and Randall´s suggestions better!!! Smile
AK_Panama
AK_Panama

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Thu May 26, 2011 9:32 pm

Thank you Ak Panama,,,,sounds like a plan...this is new to me so i do make mistakes to be corrected..wish me luck!!! take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri May 27, 2011 9:27 pm

The good thing is that this is an elm. I am not sure about Chinese Elm, but my Siberian Elm grows very fast. In decent growing conditions (warmth, light, moisture, and if I don't pinch), my elm grows around an inch a week.

So assuming that Chinese Elm is a vigorous grower (and given that you don't like the scar), I would grow one sacrifice branch as close to the wound as possible and plan on healing it (google various techniques on healing scars). A huge scar on my crabapple is healing nicely with this method.

- S

Back to top Go down

Post  moyogijohn Fri May 27, 2011 10:54 pm

Thank you Suburbia,,,I have fixed the carved area as best i can...try to post apicture soon...take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm HELP Empty Re: Change

Post  moyogijohn Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:30 pm

Chinese Elm HELP Elm10
Chinese Elm HELP Elm210
This is where I am at with this tree after a little work, What do you guys think about this? Let me know!! SmileSmile

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:46 pm

Not bad Smile

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm HELP Empty RE. Change

Post  moyogijohn Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:40 pm

Thanks to everyone for your comments and help.... I learned a lesson with this one!! I can not carve trees the way you guys do!!! I made the best of a BAD try to make this tree nicer than it was.....comments please..take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  jonathan e Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:13 pm

Here's a video by Graham Potter doing some carving on a tree much like yours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfVpcJCBc14&feature=player_embedded#at=514

hope it's useful,
-Jonathan

jonathan e

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:46 pm

If it were mine I think I would shorten it. There is just something wrong with the top. It's too distracting IMO. But nice work with the carving!

Ryan

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm HELP Empty chinese elm help

Post  moyogijohn Sat Jun 04, 2011 11:46 pm

Thank you very much,,Jonathan,,Ryan for your comments.....i am still trying so i will check out the top also...thanks for the help take care john

moyogijohn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down