Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ramification

3 posters

Go down

ramification Empty ramification

Post  kauaibonsai Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:40 am

results of continuing efforts to ramify bougainvillea.  still a long road ahead to get to where the twigging needs to be,  but there is steady improvement.

best wishes,   sam

ramification Dsc06810[/urlramification Dsc06811

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

ramification Empty Re: ramification

Post  brett2013 Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Nice tree !

Should be fulfilling as it gets closer to your goal ...

brett2013

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:56 am

Hi Sam!
Bougies are looking good. Are the deadwood not getting soft and rotting?

regards,
jun

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:07 am

thanks for the responses.   ramifying bougainvillea growing in a bonsai pot is a slow process.  bougainvillea growing in the ground,  regularly pruned, as in a hedge, develop dense twigs quite rapidly.    as a test, I've just planted a 2 inch wide cutting with nice shape and several 1/2 inch main branches, in a pond basket.  when it roots,  my plan is to plant it in the ground and train it as bonsai.  when secondary and tertiary branches grow and the canopy outline is established, the tree will be regularly pruned to encourage dense growth - then go back into a bonsai pot.  will the potted tree be able to sustain the dense canopy?  thats what the test is about.  as to the deadwood,  with periodic treatment,  it remains hard as a rock.

best wishes,   sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:52 pm

Sam,

my question would be - branch to trunk proportion - seems to be lagging behind?
You may find, thicker branches support more intensive twigging.
Thanks for posting, always interesting and educational.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  kauaibonsai Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:05 am

thanks for the comment khaimarj.

just the other day I had a lively conversation with a bonsai mentor about the obstinacy of bonsai (some, not all). shoots for the development of branching necessary for future design, seem to grow everywhere except where they should. some shoots grow quickly and thicken, often in unwanted places , while well located ones remain puny all their lives - defying efforts to get them to thicken. the grower understands the theory. grow branches in proportion to the size and shape of the trunk. thicker branches on the bottom thinner branches at the top. unfortunately, some trees do not.

best wishes, sam

kauaibonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down