Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Buddhist Pine

2 posters

Go down

Buddhist Pine Empty Buddhist Pine

Post  chadley999 Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:29 pm

Hi everyone, I bought this lovely Buddhist pine from a home improvement store. I would like to separate out some of the individual trunks and i was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on it, should i wait for spring or can i just go ahead now? Anything else you can add is a bonus, as I've never worked with this species before.

Buddhist Pine Img_2710
Buddhist Pine Img_1410

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Buddhist Pine Empty Re: Buddhist Pine

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:55 pm

Wait for spring. That plant is VERY young. In the spring repot into bonsai soil, and . . .

Unless you would plan this as a clump style bonsai, you will have to select one, two, or three of those stems as the future trunk(s) and get rid of the others. They're not tremendously fast growers, so it will be several years before the trunk lignifies (gets woody) and you can start doing some bonsai training.

JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:55 pm

And LATE spring is best.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:54 am

Thanks Jim, No rush so spring it is. I will probably select the largest trunk and put it out in a shady spot over the summer. Or if i get around to making a shade enclosure, it will go in that.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:55 am

One more thing, when you say get rid of do you mean just cut them down to the soil line or, when i re-pot, should I separate them at the root level

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:22 pm

They probably won't separate.  I'd cut them off flush.  They WILL sprout roots as cuttings, though, but up where you are nurturing them to bonsaihood may be difficult.  

As far as putting them outside goes, they are remarkably hardy (one of mine has survived 4 degrees F so far this year), but put them in FULL sun.  They demand light.

Note that I do not recommend such low temperatures for Podocarpus. It's just that I can no longer lift this one. My other tree is inside.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:16 pm

Never hurts to try with the cuttings. I have a grow light and a humidity dome and was looking into getting a heating mat. Any recommendations other than that? And the reason i say in part shade is because they will be inside for about 6-7 months every year, didn't want them getting to used to full sun and be overly deprived when they come back in.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:32 pm

didn't want them getting to used to full sun and be overly deprived when they come back in.

Don't think it works that way.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Sun Jan 19, 2014 3:37 pm

I was always curious. I have an experiment with a crassula that i started the summer past to see if there was any merit to this advice

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down