Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Juniperus Procumbens Literati

+3
dorothy7774
Mike Pollock
Geof
7 posters

Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  Geof Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:52 pm

Hi All,
Here are a couple photos of a Juniper I picked up at a bonsai nursery. Right now it looks like a sow's ear but I think I can make it into a silk purse.
I read that people were looking for more posts so here we are! I have posted my design, so lets hear yours. The first picture is what I think is the front.
The 2nd photo is another possible front. The 3rd photo is the back and the 4th is my design so far.
Regards,
Geof
Juniperus Procumbens Literati Dsc_7611
Juniperus Procumbens Literati Dsc_7612
Juniperus Procumbens Literati Dsc_7613
Juniperus Procumbens Literati 10-7-210
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  Guest Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:18 pm

Hi Geof. I think the second picture makes a better front as there is more movement in the trunk. The bent branch is also masked a bit. The top of the tree is very strong and heavy and will need thinning. I like your drawing, should look good.

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty RE: Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  Geof Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:36 pm

Hi Will,
I am also thinking the 2nd picture maybe better as the front. The thick branch then goes to the back and is not seen as much. I agree that the tree will need much thinning. Literati should be sparse. Even in my drawing it is a bit too full.
I thought some more people would have made comments. Was it something I said? Neutral Or do people just not like Procumbens Juniper or Literati Form?
Thanks for your comments Very Happy
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:10 am

Geof,its very easy to take things personally, with this type of media. Whether its too much said or nothing at all. I've posted and had little response, when I thought I'd get some and loads when I expected little. Just the way it goes I guess. Its been a busy site for a couple of days!! Dont forget your drawing[invisaged tree] needs some depth at the back as is a little two dimensional. I want to see the tree styled .

Back to top Go down

Post  Geof Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:14 am

Hi Will,
I was just trying to get people to respond. Not taking it personally. From what I read on the other post people were looking for more stuff to be posted. So I thought someone might come up with a better design. I am going to style the tree soon. I have been busy with my regular job making furniture. Bonsai is a hobby but maybe a side profession in the future. Cool
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty Styling ideas

Post  Mike Pollock Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:50 am

The second view presents the best trunk movement. Of course, you can always add to that movement with some rebar, fulcrums and guy wires.

My first thought, unoffered, was "what would Sandro think?" Smile My second thought was "make sure to be nice. You might want a really nice piece of furniture some day."

Talk to you soon,

Mike
Mike Pollock
Mike Pollock

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty Re: Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  dorothy7774 Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:02 am

I like the drawing, perhaps with this subtle change:

Juniperus Procumbens Literati 10-7-211 Juniperus Procumbens Literati Change12

Greetings,
doorthy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Geof Thu Oct 08, 2009 1:54 pm

Hi Mike,
You do not have to be nice. I know it is not a great piece of material right now. However, bonsai is about transformation and this can be a nice Literati. I bought a few more with Sandro in mind. Cool (better than this one of course)Wink.
As an amature bonsai artist I think we should take chances. Success or failure is part of learning. When we bring our trees to a professional is it our style or theirs we are doing?

Dorothy,
Thanks for the reply. I had thought about that originally, but the movement is nice even though it is thick. I had also thought about making that the apex and jinning the top. Putting it to the back also adds depth. I can always cut it off, right.
The tree reminds me of trees in the Yellow mountains of China that I have seen pictures of.
Thanks,
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Geoff,

let's see some wire on it.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:54 pm

dorothy7774 wrote:I like the drawing, perhaps with this subtle change:

Juniperus Procumbens Literati 10-7-211 Juniperus Procumbens Literati Change12

Greetings,
doorthy
Hey Dorothy, getting rid of the number 1 branch isn't so subtle - is it? cyclops But a good move. Also I feel the crown should be a bit fuller than the drawing shows. Skimpy literati style should go away along with the anorexic models in fashion magazines.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Storm Thu Oct 08, 2009 6:57 pm

Id like to see the second layout Dorothy came with
Storm
Storm

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty First Impression

Post  bhellige47 Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:37 pm

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Junlit12

Sorry about the crappiness my only program is Paint. Sad
Bring the largest branch around front in my pic? I am not a well versed bonsai person, but I have a good eye for artistic things like this it seems.

Hope this helps...

-Brian
bhellige47
bhellige47

Back to top Go down

Post  Geof Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:29 am

Dorothy,
I think for now the big branch goes to the back and the jin adds a bit of drama.
Rob,
Patience Grasshopper. I worked on it for a couple hours after work. I will post pics when I am done. I don't agree with your comment
"Skimpy literati style should go away along with the anorexic models in fashion magazines."
The basis for the form is high mountain trees struggling for survival. If you have a long thin trunk with a full bush on top it will look very odd. Shocked

I like literati form very much and find it looks best with the least amout of foliage. Less is definitely more for my eye. cyclops
Anorexic models don't even represent reality any more! No
Thanks for your comments,
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:39 am

Geof wrote:Dorothy,
I think for now the big branch goes to the back and the jin adds a bit of drama.
Rob,
Patience Grasshopper. I worked on it for a couple hours after work. I will post pics when I am done. I don't agree with your comment
"Skimpy literati style should go away along with the anorexic models in fashion magazines."
The basis for the form is high mountain trees struggling for survival. If you have a long thin trunk with a full bush on top it will look very odd. Shocked

I like literati form very much and find it looks best with the least amout of foliage. Less is definitely more for my eye. cyclops
Geof

Geoff,

If you have or can borrow issue number 69 of Bonsai Today check out the article starting on page 35 about the literati style. These trees I feel very adequately portray the literati essence. Few qualify as skimpy foliage. Can't post photos due to copy-write.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob Kempinski Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:42 am

Rob,

Geof

Geoff,

If you have or can borrow issue number 69 of Bonsai Today check out the article starting on page 35 about the literati style. These trees I feel very adequately portray the literati essence. Few qualify as skimpy foliage. Can't post photos due to copy-write.
Rob Kempinski
Rob Kempinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Vance Wood Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:30 am

Rob,

Geof

I agree, the literati should be slightly skimpy enough so that most of the branches are visible through the foliage. A mistake many people make with this style is thinking that full and rich foliage pads, seen in other styles, are justified in the literati style; In my opinion the literati is an exercise in minimalism. The real trick is to get the foliage to complete the story of deprivation and survival that the trunk started. As to anorexic, no, I think bulimic is a bit better metephore considering that there is a constant battle of removal to maintain the shape which will soon disappear without attention.
Vance Wood
Vance Wood

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty RE:Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  Geof Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:10 pm

bhellige47,
Thanks for the drawing I get your idea. I will post pics soon.
Rob,
I will see if I have that issue. Otherwise I know the club has it. If I can't get a hold of it maybe you could email me photos. I don't think that is copyright infringement. I did see the photo's Marco had posted on his Fbook page and those were in Bonsai Focus.
Thanks,
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  Geof Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:20 pm

Vance,
There is a saying that "Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away" I think this applies to bonsai as well. Cool
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty Update of Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  Geof Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:05 pm

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Dsc_7614
Hope you like it! Now I will have all winter to find the right pot!
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty Update of Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  Guest Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:29 pm

I agree with Vance. Literati should be a tree struggling with adverse conditions and therefore not a full image.
Geof, lovely job you've done there!!

Back to top Go down

Juniperus Procumbens Literati Empty RE Update of Juniperus Procumbens Literati

Post  Geof Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:23 am

Thanks Will! Very Happy
I am going to post a better photo when we have some sun here!
Geof
Geof
Geof

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down