Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end

+2
David Brunner
JimLewis
6 posters

Go down

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Empty Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end

Post  Guest Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:44 am

Hi, just a fun question, in regards to "What's blooming, or flowering" if anything as 2013 comes to a close.
I have the following tropical bonsai blooming under shop lights indoors in the basement.
Fukien tea - Regular Leaf
Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Img-2020
Fukien tea - Mini leaf
Ficus burtt-davyi
Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Img-2021
Yellow mallow
Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Img-2022
Mistletoe fig
Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Img-2023
Serissa "Kyoto" (very tiny leaf)
Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Img-2024
Unknown tree that looks like Chinese pepper but isnt, nor is it a prickly ash. Has no scent, not the flowers or crushed leaves.
Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Img-2025

Last edited by caudiciformken on Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:14 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Added pic's)

Back to top Go down

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Empty Re: Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end

Post  JimLewis Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:28 am

I have a flowering quince that insists on having one bloom going all winter.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Empty Re: Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end

Post  David Brunner Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:49 am

Hello Ken - well as this year comes to a close very little is flowering here because we have had drier and much colder weather than normal.  Most everything has been hit hard by frost and I fear some may be lost, however my Fuchsia thymifolia is still delighting with small dark pink bells.  A nice sight in an otherwise cold-stricken garden.  Sorry I do not have a photo to post at present.

As to your last photograph, it may be Operculacaria, perhaps Operculacaria pachypus because of the flower color.  Operculacaria dacaryi is more common in bonsai use but its flowers tend to be reddish to bronze-colored.   Your photograph is too blurry for me to be certain, but you should be able to check out my guess with a quick web search.

Thank you for posting,
David B.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Empty What's in Bloom

Post  bonsaisr Tue Dec 31, 2013 2:56 am

The only bonsai I have in bloom is a single-flowered Serissa that has responded well to a Dyna-Gro bloom booster. Quite a few orchids in bud or in bloom, because the show isn't till October.  No 
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:21 am

My Prunus mume buds are swelling and should flower anytime! And there is a lonely bougainvillea bloom on my tree overwintering under lights in the basement.
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  David Brunner Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:10 am

Iris - I am envious of your orchid blooms!  My orchids are all outside, most quite hardy and native, but the “star” of my garden in winter is (well perhaps once was) a big Dendrobium kingianum (native to Australia.)  It usually (perhaps formerly) graced the rock wall of my garden with lavish garlands of brilliant fuchsia in January through March.  Just the time when a bit of color can provide outstanding inspiration!  Alas, this year it is not faring well…  I hope it will survive but we have had the coldest and driest year in recorded history.  Ah well – I shall look forward to February and the coming of many Calypso bulbosa and then in March with Cyripedium californicum and Epipactus gigantea.  Perhaps this is my call to stick with natives!  Although this year has been a stress on even them.  I fear that global change may not look kindly our local climate.

David Brunner

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:37 am

mid winter here but this one is close

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end 00712

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  John Lee Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:22 am

I have a few things randomly blooming in the back yard, we have had a few cold snaps, but nothing too bad yet.

A few random azaleas:

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Az110

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Az210

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Az310

Several serissas:

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Seriss10

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Seriss11

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Seriss12

Rosemary:

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Rsmry10

A Quince working on blooming:

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Quince10

Lastly, my calamondrin orange.  It must be confused as it has been cool of late.

Whats blooming as 2013 comes to an end Calamo10

Hope you like them and Happy New Year!!

John O. Lee
John Lee
John Lee

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down