Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A thought on seki display

5 posters

Go down

A thought on seki display Empty A thought on seki display

Post  dick benbow Thu Nov 28, 2013 4:52 pm

as we enter into late fall, I tried to keep ahead one season according to my understanding of what display rules dictate. So my table top display is one of late winter. the scroll is a heavy snow scene and the suiseki is of a distant mountain with heavy white quartz illustrating a heavy snow pack in the mountains.

The last couple of weeks have been really cold with temps in the teens and daytime temps barely above freezing....

So I'm sitting here wondering why it is (especially in winter) when we could use some encouragement from a warm display, that I'm having the cold and uncomfortableness re-enforced by the display. I keep telling myself that the japanese in their homes truely experience winter unlike ours that have heat thru out. yet that is NOT helping

So it is said that confession is good for the soul, so I must say I am thinking of making a display for spring or summer. But if no one else sees that knows, maybe I'd not be considered a heratic but yet someone who wants to feel the warm that summer tho a long winter away...brings to gladden one's heart. Hopefully it will be like the age old question if no one is around to hear and a tree falls in the forest, does it's lack of being heard, mean it doesn't make a sound Smile

Wishing you all warm thoughts as we struggle thru winter.....
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

A thought on seki display Empty Re: A thought on seki display

Post  stonener Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:40 am

Ya Dick! But cheer up there's a whole other side!
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, think of fun Winter doing things,
like ice fishing, snow boarding, ice skating or caroling those things that only Winter affords.
As you say feel warm thoughts, like heavy wool mittens, a roaring fire place or,
all the Winter foods like caned peaches, fruit cake, hot apple cider etc.
Then my personal favorite slipping into an electric blanketed bed with my wife.
stonener
*naked*

Ok Dick Then getting back to your display.
add a Okimono, a wolf, eagle, beaver or snow shoe rabbit.
I also do what I consider a winter scene. see pixs
Large Red jasper suiseki with yellow Continental  Shaped images.
Pair of bronze Tancho cranes and an Ocean view scroll.
To tell the tale of Winter Migration...
stonener
*hot toddy anyone?*

A thought on seki display Ocean_12 A thought on seki display Crane_11

humbly offered as an expert on nothing and totally just for fun...

Last edited by stonener on Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:52 am; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : -)

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Andre Beaurain Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:20 pm

stonener wrote:Ya Dick! But cheer up there's a whole other side!

*hot toddy anyone?*

Yes there is another side....I'm the HOT Toddy at the moment.....hihihihihii

I just got heatstroke for lunch...  Working outside planting roses and flower picking garden for a housewife.  Its 34 degrees in the shade...sunny 

Mandela died last night.

Wonder what my display must look like.. Saddened heat...
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  stonener Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:12 am

"Wonder what my display must look like"..

A thought on seki display Mandel10

Dre
say goodbye to him with your heart
and use no words! just display it...Basketball 
stonener
*toka no ma*

stonener

Back to top Go down

Post  Chris Cochrane Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi Dick... Seasonal display should look about 2 weeks ahead (~ half a lunar month) rather than a full season (~3 months). That should make display using seasonally appropriate plants much easier... :-)

Hi Stonener... The cranes are great. The scroll of the rising sun over the sea might be set aside after the New Year's season as it represents the "first sunrise (of the year)"/hatsu-hinode. This style of scroll is typically paired in bonsai display with a deeply bark-fissured black pine, & together they represent an auspicious wish of longevity.
Chris Cochrane
Chris Cochrane

Back to top Go down

Post  kora Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:04 am

one more hurdle for the "hemispherically" challenged-what season are we in? would we have even considered the Southern hemisphere, where it not for the internet bonsai club-to conclude, display considerations really do depend on your location! What does winter look like in the tropical regions, or the extreme Northern or Southern regions ? Certainly not the same as in Japan-there too think of the difference between Hokkaido and Okinawa-and so it goes

kora

Back to top Go down

Post  dick benbow Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:59 pm

I spent 2 years in Wakkanai on the island of Hokkaido. Lots of snow, and wild critters
dick benbow
dick benbow

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down