Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

the Black Olive has arrived

2 posters

Go down

the Black Olive has arrived Empty the Black Olive has arrived

Post  LittleJoe Wed Oct 30, 2013 11:28 pm

It looks like it's in potting soil and needs to be re-potted. Should I wait till spring? Does it need a bigger pot (the pot is 8"x 6" and the spread on the tree is 22". The trunk is about an inch and quarter), and what do I do with those roots? Is that scale on the roots and base of the trunk?

the Black Olive has arrived Img_2010

the Black Olive has arrived Img_2011

I do like it and hope to learn from it.
Thanks for looking.
LittleJoe
LittleJoe

Back to top Go down

the Black Olive has arrived Empty Re: the Black Olive has arrived

Post  Auballagh Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:07 am

Well, for one thing it appears that tree has been plunked down in some plain old potting soil. Hopefully, the water drains through this soil decently, at least?
I wouldn't touch the tree now, since it needs to be kept indoors until things warm up reliably outside. But, you definitely need to re-pot it into a better draining, more suitable bonsai soil mix. Be careful when you water this tree! With that soil mix, it will be super easy to overwater it.

As for the roots? I would just leave well enough alone for now. You can cut back that big, center root a bit, then plant the tree deeper down into the soil when it's time to re-pot it, and give the base a more balanced, radial root pattern.
Auballagh
Auballagh

Back to top Go down