Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Collecting, Storing, and Sprouting Beech Seeds

3 posters

Go down

Collecting, Storing, and Sprouting Beech Seeds Empty Collecting, Storing, and Sprouting Beech Seeds

Post  chadley999 Mon Oct 14, 2013 7:57 pm

Hi everyone, I collected some seeds from trees in my area today. I understand these trees take years and years to develop, more so from seed. But i really enjoy starting trees. I would love to hear what tips everyone has for this, especially anyone who has tried it for themselves. I believe they are American beech but am not 100%. Regardless, I'm wondering mainly if they its alright for them to dry out before soaking and stratification, and the stratification process overall what medium, duration, etc. Also if i should try to just pot up a few seeds in fine bonsai soil and leave out for the winter and let nature do the work for me. All thoughts and comments are welcome! Happy Thanksgiving!!!

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Collecting, Storing, and Sprouting Beech Seeds Empty Re: Collecting, Storing, and Sprouting Beech Seeds

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:21 am

I have not done beech, but for other species I plant the seed out in the flats in the fall and cover with screen to keep critters from eating them. Make sure they get some moisture and the full winter treatment and you have treated them the way they evolved to be treated. I generally get reasonably good germination with this method and it takes minimal effort.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Collecting, Storing, and Sprouting Beech Seeds Empty Re: Collecting, Storing, and Sprouting Beech Seeds

Post  tap pi lu Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:38 am

in nature-most seeds germinate immediately upon contact with moist soil, some wake up after 7-10 days, some species need to wait until spring or summer
tap pi lu
tap pi lu

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:57 am

I believe it depends a great deal upon the climate. In the tropics most seeds probably quickly germinate. In the temperature zones where you find most of the beeches, maples, oaks, pines etc. most will wait until spring and need some cold moist time to break dormancy.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:58 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. Marty i was wondering if you used potting soil, fine bonsai soil, or just full blown bonsai soil. Also did you make different layers in your medium

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:53 am

I use bonsai soil. Fairly coarse in the bottom since my flats have 1/4" (6 mm) hardware cloth in the bottom. the bulk is smaller bonsai soil (3 - 6 mm) and I often cover the seeds with some of the finer stuff (1-3 mm). I also tend to broadcast the seed rather than placing it in specific locations. Sometimes I get interesting groups that can be planted up as clumps or small forests.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  chadley999 Tue Oct 15, 2013 5:40 pm

Ok thanks! I was planning on doing layers. Anyone know what way the seeds sprout? Is it pointy side down or flat side down.

chadley999

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down