Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

woodkiln finished

3 posters

Go down

woodkiln finished Empty woodkiln finished

Post  a.muenz Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi,

last week we finished and fired my wood fired kiln. Ceramic Artists and kiln builders Steve Harrison and Janine King came all the way from Australia to Germany to build it. The firing went very well. We fired for 13 hours. The draft is so strong, that we had no problem with reaching top temperature. The problem was to slow it down. The kiln is very effective. The amount of wood needed was less than expected.

woodkiln finished Woodki10
woodkiln finished Img_1710
woodkiln finished Img_1711
woodkiln finished Img_0810
woodkiln finished 13109_10
woodkiln finished 13110_10
woodkiln finished 13111_10

a.muenz

Back to top Go down

woodkiln finished Empty Re: woodkiln finished

Post  a.muenz Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:47 pm

Here are some Shino pots. In the back of the kiln some heavy carbon trapping effects happened.

woodkiln finished 13115_10
woodkiln finished 13115_11
woodkiln finished 13115_12
woodkiln finished Img_1810
woodkiln finished Img_1811
woodkiln finished Img_1812

a.muenz

Back to top Go down

Post  a.muenz Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:51 pm

some more pots from the firing:
woodkiln finished 13108_10
woodkiln finished 13113_10
woodkiln finished 13113_11
woodkiln finished 13117_10

a.muenz

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:27 pm

GREEN with envy!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:09 pm

Andreas-
Great looking pots and kiln! The fire really worked with the form on the second pot. With the myriad designs for kilns, it is amazing how similar it is to mine! I also have a roll away flat top. 13 hours is nice for firing alone, especially with a bourry box. What is the stacking space in the kiln?
-PT
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  a.muenz Wed Sep 11, 2013 6:26 pm

Hi Preston,

that's interesting. I have never seen a roll away flat top. I thought it was unique.
Do you have a photo?
The kiln has 2.4 cubic meters stacking space.

Andreas

a.muenz

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:00 am

Andreas-
My kiln is less than half the size of yours. It is 30 cubic feet.  The lid has screw jacks that raise the lid up enough to roll away. I got the idea from Judith Duff.  It is made of insulating fire brick and is of considerable weight necessitating the heavy steel structure.  I use steel bars for a grate and I will replace them tomorrow.  The original bars were 2 1/2 inches thick and I slagged them down to 1/2 inch in 30 firings.  I will fire number 31 on monday!  

woodkiln finished Sodaga11

This is a rendering of Judith Duff's kiln. She has a train style bourry box and a fiber lid similar to yours.

woodkiln finished Duff_t11

This is the train kiln at the Archie Bray Foundation in Montana.  It has a solid castable lid that is removed with a chain hoist and an overhead steel beam.  I'm sure that lid weighs well over a ton!

woodkiln finished Bray_t10
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  a.muenz Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi Preston,

we were thinking about a lid with castable fire concrete. But there was no way to lift it. A construction like the steel beam at the Archie Bray Foundation was out of the budget. I don't like the fibre material very much but it was the most affordable solution. Even if I have to renew it after some years.

I wish you a successful firing on Monday.
Andreas

a.muenz

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:37 pm

I know Judith does 42- 45 hour firings with hers and she's done close to 50 firings. I don't think she has replaced her fiber yet. I will ask her next time I see her. But definitely don't use salt or soda. It eats fiber for breakfast. And don't try to coat it with anything, I learned that the hard way. Your kiln looks really efficient. How much wood did it use in 13 hours?
-PT
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  a.muenz Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:13 pm

It is hard to tell the exact amount, because we didn't have one stack of wood. We kept collecting it from different piles.
I would say it was about 3 - 4 cubic meters of loosely stacked wood. We started with very old dry wood that came from the house renovation. Later we used big logs of pine that were seasoned for two years. The latter was more laid back, because it burned much longer and the times between stokes was longer.

Andreas

a.muenz

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down