Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Pinus Bergden & Pinus Thunbergii

2 posters

Go down

Pinus Bergden & Pinus Thunbergii Empty Pinus Bergden & Pinus Thunbergii

Post  litowa Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:20 am

Dear Bonsai enthusiasts,

Two weeks ago I planted Pinus Bergden & Pinus Thunbergii in different pots. Now, the seeds have sprouted and I can already see the young seedlings (about 2cm above the soil).

Since I really want to train them becoming Bonsai trees, I would like you to help me what the next step would be. I read a lot of literature on the internet, but was confused since I do not know how to start and when to start. Should I wait until the spring so that the seedlings are strong enough to start cutting its roots and the newcoming buds, branches, pine needles? When should I start? How old shout my seedling be to start? What do I start with - cutting the roots? Also, which are the steps in the right order I need to follow? Should I also wire the tree next year?

I have thousands of questions but I would really like to try hard.

Some more details of my seedlings:
Pinus Bergden:
- sowed in a flat plastic pot;
- growth; already 2 cm above the soil;

Pinus Thunbergi
- again sowed i a flat plastic pot;
- growth; about 1cm above the soil;

I would be really grateful if you give me some tips and instructions on how to turn my trees into Bonsai!

Thank you all very much in advance!

litowa

Back to top Go down

Pinus Bergden & Pinus Thunbergii Empty Re: Pinus Bergden & Pinus Thunbergii

Post  JimLewis Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:38 pm

Congratulations on the seedlings.

Now, that said, you have a very long road ahead of you before turning them into bonsai.

For the first year, at least, your biggest issue may be keeping the seedlings alive. Tiny pines have a tendency toward what is called "damping off." This is a disease that causes the seedling to wilt at soil level and die. See: http://www.bugwood.org/container/dampingoff.html

Once the stems of your little trees turn woody (lignify), you will want to transplant them into small pots. You don't say how many seedlings of each you have, but each should be given itsl own pot. This is another ticklish time for the seedlings, especially if you have many of thm crowded into the starter tray or pot.

For two or three years after that, you simply want to let the little trees grow. Spend the time they're doing that reading up on the care and maintenance of pine bonsai. http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2/183-5549208-3573066?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=pine%20bonsai

You might also purchase some small nursery pines and work on those while you are waiting.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  litowa Sat Sep 07, 2013 12:18 am

Dear JimLewis,

Thank you very much for your reply and thorough explanation. Indeed, in both my starter pots - I have more than one seedlings. I do hope I manage to keep them healthy and alive.

Thank you for your advice! I appreciate it a lot, now the overall picture is a bit more clear.

Wish you a great day!

litowa

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down