Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Need some quick help on a Cedar

+32
MichaelJ
David D
Russell Coker
Gary Swiech
Apache2010
Barry M
ChrisV
prestontolbert
Andrew Legg
iant
dick benbow
Khaimraj Seepersad
robertji
Hoo
JudyB
augustine
Fore
ScottB1
leatherback
Brian Van Fleet
M. Frary
Dave Murphy
SMJ76
Rob C
marcus watts
tmmason10
JimLewis
Bonsaiteen
Auballagh
LSBonsai
Jkd2572
tbarkley
36 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Need some quick help on a Cedar - Page 4 Empty Re: Need some quick help on a Cedar

Post  tbarkley Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Andre,
Sorry, didn't mean to offend you. Believe me, I'm doing everything I can to help this tree survive. Nobody wants it to survive as much as I do. As far as SuperThrive goes, I'm new to Bonsai, I don't have much experience, and I'm not going to take the word from someone that I don't know from Adam's house cat over everyone else. A few people (but they are outnumbered mind you) have said to use SuperThrive, the vast majority though have said not to use anything but water. I'm sorry, but how can one or two know better than many? There is a lot of experience out there that I'm getting advice from. My religion has nothing to do with keeping me from understanding nature. I know who created it!
Again Andre, sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to,
Thanks for the advice,
Thanks everyone for the advice, if I use it and it works, I'll let you know.......
If I don't.........I guess you'll never know for sure.
But, I really do appreciate everyone taking the time to offer help!
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Need some quick help on a Cedar - Page 4 Empty Re: Need some quick help on a Cedar

Post  Andre Beaurain Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:13 am

No Sweat tBarkley, apology excepted.

Its true that advice can be very confusing. That's why I conducted my own tests. ( Which I will not share here, I respect Jim, who said that it has been discussed.)
And I guess, you won't know, till you done the same.

Have a fantastic weekend
Love and light
Andre Beaurain
Andre Beaurain

Back to top Go down

Post  augustine Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:29 pm

Super thrive can certainly not hurt, I would try it hopin to get an edge. I know professional nursery owners that use it and swear by It. Anyway Jkl is right it's a nonissue and everyone does their own thing. The I only reason I even raise the point is because of this specific situation.

The other writer was correct, the process of the plants survival is a long time mAtter. In 2or 3 years you can start training foliage which will in involve amongst other things chasing back the foliage nearer the trunk. You've a number off years ahead of you but the good news is that you'll never, probably have a worthier project.

I know this post is redundant but I feel compelled to write something about this superb juniper.

One other thing, I believe one of the most important benefits of art is to open the mind and expand ones horizons. I think andres comments are very compelling.

I'm pulling for you. This tree is exciting. Best regards.

Raymond

augustine

Back to top Go down

Post  berobinson82 Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:05 pm

Been a while. Still hanging on?

berobinson82

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:23 pm

tbarkley wrote:What do others think about using SuperThrive, or even Miracle Grow (20-20-20), or anything else every couple of weeks?

I would wait until next year after it has put out a good flush of growth before trying to fertilize. It can stress a transplant rather than help it.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Need some quick help on a Cedar - Page 4 Empty Sorry for the late update

Post  tbarkley Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:33 pm

Sorry its been a while since I updated yall.....The juniper still has quite a bit of green on it, it also has quite a bit of die off. I am still misting it several times a day and using SuperThrive (watering and misting) as a matter of fact I just came in from misting it. I'm still hoping and praying that it's going to make it. Not about to give up on it. You'll have to pardon me if it becomes a bit of time between posts, my younger brother (he's 52)(his name is Phillip) has cancer and he's going through a tough time right now. If anybody out there has a spare prayer, he could sure use it.

Thanks much!!!
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:20 pm

tbarkley wrote:... my younger brother (he's 52)(his name is Phillip) has cancer and he's going through a tough time right now. If anybody out there has a spare prayer, he could sure use it.

Thanks much!!!
You got it.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Orion Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:19 pm

ditto on the prayers
Orion
Orion

Back to top Go down

Post  tbarkley Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:53 pm

Twisted Trees, Orion, I really appreciate the prayers!
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  MichaelJ Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:54 am

I hope all is well with your brother, as well as your tree.

MichaelJ

Back to top Go down

Post  tbarkley Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:04 pm

I know I haven't posted anything in a long time. Both my brother and the juniper have passed away. My brother went home peacefully October 30, 2013. The juniper is still where it has been, I haven't moved it at all. I'm still hoping for a little spark of life this spring.
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:54 pm

I'm am SO sorry for your loss.

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  tbarkley Thu Feb 20, 2014 1:42 am

Thanks Dave, it is appreciated!
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  Russell Coker Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:44 am

So sorry about the loss of your brother.

It's not easy losing a beauty like this, but I didn't hold out much hope even with the best of circumstances. Please understand that digging landscape junipers seems to be extremely difficult, even by people like me with many years of experience. I see amazing junipers like this all the time all over town. As a matter of fact, I have my eye on 7 (5 san jose, 2 parsonii) right now that would rival the yamadori masterpieces we see here. I've dug 2, but have nothing to show for it. I don't know anyone with a good example down here. They seem to be nearly impossible to dig, so don't beat yourself up too much.

R

Russell Coker
Russell Coker

Back to top Go down

Post  tbarkley Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:40 am

Russell, thanks for the reply, my brother will be greatly missed. He had a heck of a sense of humor, we kept the family rolling...... I'm not going to beat myself up over the juniper, if it does nothing else, I have the trunk, I'll do something with that. It would have been neat to see what could have been done with it, but it was a little big for my taste......oh well, live and learn. I have quite a few other projects that will keep me busy. I have a Japanese maple that I bought last summer that needs to be pruned. It has grown like a weed! I will post pictures soon and ask for advice. Thanks again for your thoughts and advice. They are appreciated!
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:10 pm

Code:
Sorry to hear about your brother mate.

I guess the tree is just one of those things. You win some, you lose some. That's life. I just lost a cracker of an olive. Another tree nearby sent it's roots up into the pot and blocked the holes. You live and learn.

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  tbarkley Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:08 pm

Andrew, I really appreciated the response. Losing the tree is OK, I have plenty of others to keep me busy and to learn on, and I'm sure it won't be the last. I wish there was something I could do about my brother though, But, on the bright side (if there really is a bright side to this), I know where his is.
tbarkley
tbarkley

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4