Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree

4 posters

Go down

adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree Empty adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree

Post  poco cueco Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:04 pm

Hello everyone,
There seems to be some debate as to whether a repotted Bonsai should have any nutrients added to it. I tried to do a search but I probably did not use the correct words in the search.

Could you please share your opinions on the matter. let me make some hypothetical assumptions which may help in narrowing down the question.
1. let us say I obtained a bonsai free from a friend who had not repotted it in several years and is pot/root bound.
a. would you add any nutrients after you cut away a percentage of the excess roots and realized their was very little soil left.
b. an established tree of three or four years old.
c. assume it is evergreen such as a shimpaku Juniper and I live in southern California
d. What might these nutrients be
2. What if you bought a bonsai from a reputable Bonsai nursery and is not root bound and would like to repot it.
a. would you add any nutrients after you clear away some of the excess roots(not root-bound) and add additional Bonsai soil.
b.What might these nutrients be
c. let us also assume that the tree is an evergreen such as Juniper
3. Would you add any nutrients if it was a young evergreen no larger than 6-12 inches high, excluding the pot?
b. What might these nutrients be
c. let us also assume that the tree is an evergreen such as Juniper.
I bring up the question because I have read some Bonsai enthusiasts say you add no nutrients, just water it after it has been repotted and put it in an area where it will not get direct sun all day long. While others I have read say you need to add some nutrients after it has been repotted to help it "back on it feet," so to speak. But what kind?

Thank you so much. You have all been great help in the past in the few posts I have submitted. All who submit their ideas will have a homemade apple pie with caramel sauce sent to the residence of their choice(don't I Wish I could!).
ed
poco cueco
poco cueco

Back to top Go down

adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree Empty nutrimenys afer repotted

Post  abcd Sun Aug 04, 2013 6:27 pm

You can add organics nutriments or chimicals nutriments after repotted, that depend about the soil you use.
For example , I put NPK 10 52 10 juster after repotted, but the the soil is turface 100% only .
With organics nutriments or fertilizer, that's not a problem, the tree can assimilie the nutriments only 1 month after natural decomposition .
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree Empty Re: adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree

Post  Marty Weiser Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:16 pm

It is generally the very fine roots that absorb most of the nutrients. These are normally disturbed rather badly during most bonsai repottings. Therefore, the tree has difficulty absorbing much nutrient until it can regrow some fine roots. With our free draining soils most of the fertilizer applied just after a repot will wash through before it can be absorbed. However, many organic nutrients need to be broken down by soil microbes so adding them soon after a repot may be beneficial - the new fine roots have grown about the same time the nutrients become available. There is also an argument that concentration of of the nutrients in an inorganic fertilizer may be strong enough to damage the new fine roots since there is little or nothing is the soil mix to buffer it. I have not seen anything to show this, but I have not looked either.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree Empty what nutrients to add to a repotted Bonsai tree

Post  poco cueco Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:42 pm

I would first like to thank you both for your quick reply.
Dear ADCD, I noted that you use 10 - 52- 10. What brand do you use if you would be so kind.

Merci,
Edward

Mr. Marty,
thank you for your quick reply
ED
poco cueco
poco cueco

Back to top Go down

adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree Empty Re: adding nutrients after repotting Bonsai tree

Post  JimLewis Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:16 pm

I always fertilize at label strength after repotting. I use a more or less balanced fertilizer that includes a full range of micronutrients.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down