Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop

4 posters

Go down

Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop Empty Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop

Post  Pete Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:10 am

Hi all

I trunk chopped my Elm at the end of winter and after pruning the roots when it got a little warmer it's been sat in the sun and new taper has grown very well.

Am just wondering do I start to prune the tree now or do I allow the taper to keep growing to allow the tree to get its strength back after the hard prune in the winter ?

Thanks in advance

Pete

Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop 20130714

Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop 20130715

Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop 20130716

Pete

Back to top Go down

Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop Empty Re: Chinese Elm after Trunk Chop

Post  JimLewis Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:35 pm

UK folks can chip in on the length of growing season where you are, etc., but your tree looks very healthy. If it were mine, I'd cut those branches back to a couple of pairs of leaves and let it grow a while, then repeat as many times as I can until fall.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  fiona Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:50 pm

Frankly, if it were mine here 100 miles up the road, I'd do nothing this year to it except let it grow and give myself something to work with next year.
fiona
fiona

Back to top Go down

Post  Justin_ Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:24 pm

What size are you hoping the tree will be eventually? If it were mine I'd put it in the ground now and leave it until next year with a view to developing a tree about three times the current trunk height. However, you might need to give it some winter protection which my Chinese Elms do fine without.

Justin_

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down