Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Encouraging Back Budding on old wood

4 posters

Go down

Encouraging Back Budding on old wood Empty Encouraging Back Budding on old wood

Post  Michael T Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:26 pm

I have a large old Yew. All of the foilage is on the outer tips of the branches. Over the last three seasons I have cut it back hard believing that it would back bud on the old trunks. Well, no luck.

I usually don't cut back past the point of foilage. I leave some foilage on each branch. If I stump the branches leaving no foilage will it die off, or should back bud?

Any other tips?

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Encouraging Back Budding on old wood Empty Re: Encouraging Back Budding on old wood

Post  EdMerc Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:32 pm

EdMerc
EdMerc

Back to top Go down

Encouraging Back Budding on old wood Empty Re: Encouraging Back Budding on old wood

Post  Michael T Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:10 pm

Thanks, but it doesn't answer my question.

I'm not interested in encouraging budding where needles have been plucked. I'm interested in whether hard pruning can force backbudding on the the trunks. And whether or not pruning to a point where no growth is left in the branch will cause the tree to die.

Michael T

Back to top Go down

Post  Kev Bailey Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:27 pm

Yew will bud profusely on old trunks when cut back hard. That's why they are used for topiary, hedging etc. Just make sure that they are vigorous and well fed when you do the cuts, though I'd do that early in the growing year.
Kev Bailey
Kev Bailey
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlainK Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 pm

When was your tree collected or repotted?

I wouldn't advise hard cutting on the same year, or on a tree whose roots have filled the pot.

But on a healthy tree with very good root condition, you can prune it very hard back and see it backdud, aye.
AlainK
AlainK

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:49 pm

I have collected numerous Yews over the years, mainly from woodland where the foliage is up high. Most of these trees were reduced below any greenery and once the weather warmed up, would pop new buds everywhere. As mentioned previously, if in a pot you would do well if the tree you are pruning back is really strong and healthy.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down