Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature

5 posters

Go down

Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature Empty Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature

Post  Poink88 Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:18 pm

I collected a few cedar elm about a month ago and went back this weekend to get a few more. I noticed a big difference between the buds of the ones I collected and the ones in the ground. Mine (the ones I collected and in pots) are all swollen and about to burst while the ones in the ground are hardly swelling and almost no change in color yet. scratch Honestly, I was expecting the opposite.

Why is this? confused

By the way, my house is only a mile away from my collection site so temperature and weather shouldn't be a factor.
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature Empty Budding Time

Post  bonsaisr Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:46 pm

The trees in pots have been stimulated, and their roots, being in pots, are much warmer than those in the ground.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature Empty Re: Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature

Post  marcus watts Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:48 pm

iris hit the nail on the head - just about all our trees wake up first in pots as we use warmer soils, the pots warm up quicker than the actual ground does, and we tend to shelter the area where the pots are kept from prevailing bad weather. I have potted trees and the same species at the end of the garden - the pots are usually 2 - 3 weeks ahead, but autumn often comes quicker to the pots too.

cheers Marcus

marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature Empty Re: Budding time...yamadori trees in pot vs. in nature

Post  Poink88 Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:44 am

Thanks Iris and Marcus!
Poink88
Poink88

Back to top Go down

Post  drgonzo Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 am

marcus watts wrote:iris hit the nail on the head - just about all our trees wake up first in pots as we use warmer soils, the pots warm up quicker than the actual ground does, and we tend to shelter the area where the pots are kept from prevailing bad weather. I have potted trees and the same species at the end of the garden - the pots are usually 2 - 3 weeks ahead, but autumn often comes quicker to the pots too.

cheers Marcus

Thats funny because for me Autumn comes a few weeks later for my trees but that is due, I think, to being up on my south facing deck which tends to actually run about a zone higher with regards to temps.
-Jay
drgonzo
drgonzo

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:57 am

Poink88 wrote:

By the way, my house is only a mile away from my collection site so temperature and weather shouldn't be a factor.

A mile can make a BIG difference in micro climates, especially if one is more rural (open space) and the other more urban. Even different sides of your house,
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down