Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wood Filler?

+2
Brett Simon
jimlau
6 posters

Go down

Wood Filler? Empty Wood Filler?

Post  jimlau Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:48 am

I have an abandoned thread graft hole in a mulberry. Should I just seal up the 2 holes? Is wood filler good material? Are there any shrink/expand issues?

Thanks.

jimlau

Back to top Go down

Wood Filler? Empty Re: Wood Filler?

Post  Brett Simon Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:16 am

Hi Jimlau

Yes wood filler does shrink. If you apply it, it will dry and shrink. I use plasticine.(it is a kids play dough that gets hard and is non toxic).
Not sure but i get it at a toy shop. Works really well.
Here is a link to the pictures, so you can ID it

http://www.google.com/search?q=plasticine&client=safari&rls=en&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=rsK6Uf5P5JHsBvHDgZAL&ved=0CD8QsAQ&biw=1279&bih=702

It also works really well as any sort of filler you need. Also works on sealing cuts.

Regards
Brett
Brett Simon
Brett Simon

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:43 pm

Thanks Brett,

I did wonder if plastercine could have been used. Now I wonder if a small % of baby oil [ the simple one ] added to plastercine would allow it to stay permanently flexible.

We use the mineral oil [ baby oil ] to protect furniture wood, exterior doors, because it isn't supposed to evaporate, and termites etc. can't eat it and it is non-toxic, if not drunk or placed into eyes and so on.

Would the mineral spirits harm the exposed wood by doing anything to the live wood ?
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  jimlau Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:52 pm

some pretty funky colors out there of plasticine. Wink a bit tough to match colors.  can colors somehow be altered to match the tree color?

jimlau

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:58 pm

Minwax makes a wood filler that can be stained -- naturally, since they produce stains.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  Marty Weiser Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:14 am

Why not taper a dowel in a pencil sharpener, drive it into the hole, and cut it off flush or very slightly concave. The tree should callus over it as if it were a cut off branch. Use a nice dry dowel and it will expand slightly as it gains moisture from the tree and really seal the hole.

Marty Weiser

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:24 pm

Get a few different colors that are close and mix bit of them together until close.
jimlau wrote:some pretty funky colors out there of plasticine. Wink a bit tough to match colors.  can colors somehow be altered to match the tree color?
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down