Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wood filler for deadwood holes?

4 posters

Go down

Wood filler for deadwood holes? Empty Wood filler for deadwood holes?

Post  -Jamie- Thu May 05, 2016 7:19 pm

I have a general question about wood filler.

Some deadwood on a Utah Juniper I have is rotten, so I'm going to clean it all out. However, because of the shape of the deadwood, there's no way to remove the rotten wood without leaving a hole that is going to pool water. So, I need to fill that hole somehow. I was thinking that maybe wood filler/putty might work, but then I heard there might be expansion problems, whereby the trunk and the filler might expand and contract at different rates, potentially leading to problems.

So, does anyone have any advice about filler? Is there a good brand? Is there some other technique I could use?

I was even thinking that using some silly putty might do the trick better than anything else.

-Jamie-

Back to top Go down

Wood filler for deadwood holes? Empty Re: Wood filler for deadwood holes?

Post  M. Frary Thu May 05, 2016 8:08 pm

Concrete works.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  -Jamie- Thu May 05, 2016 8:18 pm

Interesting. I'll look into that, but I think it might be too much. The hole is no more than half an inch in size (the tree is only 12 inches), so the work might not be worth it.

-Jamie-

Back to top Go down

Post  M. Frary Thu May 05, 2016 8:32 pm

I think wood filler could work. We made our own in shop class out of wood glue and sawdust.

M. Frary

Back to top Go down

Post  -Jamie- Thu May 05, 2016 8:58 pm

That's clever. I could even use the sawdust from the hole I hollow out. That just might work.

-Jamie-

Back to top Go down

Post  Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai Fri May 06, 2016 12:48 pm

not sure if this is a good suggestion or not without a picture, but drilling a small drainage hole may alleviate the pooling...
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  -Jamie- Fri May 06, 2016 9:53 pm

That might work in other situations, but the hole lies at the soil level, more or less, so there's nowhere to drain too. Good idea though.

-Jamie-

Back to top Go down

Post  MKBonsai Sat May 07, 2016 9:23 am

External wood filler is designed to expand and contract at the same rate as the wood it is attached to so it should work. Most of my trees with holes that look like water will pool in them actually drain into the tree within a few minutes of watering but that may not always be the case of course.

John T - MKBonsai
MKBonsai
MKBonsai

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down