Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chinese v. Japanese tools

5 posters

Go down

Chinese v. Japanese tools Empty Chinese v. Japanese tools

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Sun May 19, 2013 11:26 pm

At our BSOB meeting yesterday I took two stainless bonsai shears one made in Japan and the other made in China. I asked members to look at the tools and guess the country of manufacture.
Of eight members who were willing to try, seven got it right. So, at least, to bonsai hobbyists with some experience, there is still a difference. Although most felt the difference was small.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Chinese v. Japanese tools Empty Re: Chinese v. Japanese tools

Post  newzealandteatree Mon May 20, 2013 4:11 pm

I have bad experiences with both Made in China and Made in Japan tools. I bought an expensive made in Japan stainless twig shear which was supposed to be made of a new and "better" stainless steel but it wear off within a year. I also have bad experience with a Made in Japan carbon steel bud trimming shear but the cutting edges lost their alignment after 3 months. A few years ago I bought a Made in China Stainless knob cutter and a concave cutter. In both instances the cutting edges lost their alignment after 3 months. Of course I also have very good experiences with plenty of other Made in Japan and the new generation of Made in China tools.

CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon May 20, 2013 4:19 pm

I don't think I have ever had a bad tool. Used properly and taken care of I think most tools are worth what we pay for them. I was just trying to make the point that the quality of Chinese tools and even pots is going up.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  ogie Mon May 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi Billy ,
In both occassion there will be good and bad,you're right all tools will serve you right for as long we use and maintain it properly.but of course nothing last forever.
I usually use china tools coz less expensive and trees here are tough might break anytime so practical purposes
Are you coming for ABFF in manila Billy??let me know so i can be your host and show you around and that goes to all IBC friends
Regards,
alex/ogie Cool
ogie
ogie

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon May 20, 2013 5:45 pm

ogie wrote:Hi Billy ,

Are you coming for ABFF in manila Billy??let me know so i can be your host and show you around and that goes to all IBC friends

alex/ogie Cool

Sorry, but I only recently returned to Florida from the BCI Convention and Tour in China and will be leaving in a few weeks for a Tour and Cruise in Alaska.

Thanks for the invite.

Billy
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Tue May 21, 2013 4:02 am

Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I don't think I have ever had a bad tool. Used properly and taken care of I think most tools are worth what we pay for them. I was just trying to make the point that the quality of Chinese tools and even pots is going up.

I fully agree with u that the new generation of Chinese tools have improved tremendously. I bought a set of the Ryuga stainless tools and they are good. So far no problem.

Cheers,

CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu May 23, 2013 3:41 am

newzealandteatree wrote:
Billy M. Rhodes wrote:I don't think I have ever had a bad tool. Used properly and taken care of I think most tools are worth what we pay for them. I was just trying to make the point that the quality of Chinese tools and even pots is going up.

I fully agree with u that the new generation of Chinese tools have improved tremendously. I bought a set of the Ryuga stainless tools and they are good. So far no problem.

Cheers,

CJ

CJ, I assume your experiences with the cutting edges (lost their alignment after 3 months) on the Chinese tools were not RYUGA products. RYUGA is the only tools in the market giving two years quality guarantee of free replacement for any quality claim on all of its products. Not even Japanese are doing so I guess.
Learn more here about their improved QC method : http://ryugabonsaitools.blogspot.com/p/quality-control-of-ryuga.html
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  newzealandteatree Thu May 23, 2013 5:46 am

Robert, of course not. Those experiences were way before Ryuga tools came onto the market. My experiences with my set of Ryuga tools are very good. As good as the quality Japanese Tools but cost less.

Cheers,

CJ
newzealandteatree
newzealandteatree

Back to top Go down

Post  Robert Steven Thu May 23, 2013 7:06 am

newzealandteatree wrote:Robert, of course not. Those experiences were way before Ryuga tools came onto the market. My experiences with my set of Ryuga tools are very good. As good as the quality Japanese Tools but cost less.

Cheers,

CJ

Thanks CJ. My personal reputation is part of the guarantee..if it worths ofcourse... Laughing
Robert Steven
Robert Steven

Back to top Go down

Post  marcus watts Fri May 31, 2013 7:14 am

it is probably accurate to say the new generation chinese made tools are far more superior to earlier and cheaper versions....but they are also the most expensive chinese made tools so it should be expected that their quality is higher. In the shop I could stock chinese tools that sell for £2.50, £12.50-£15 or £25-£30 depending upon model type so visibly increased quality is to be expected.

I see no point in buying cheaper japanese tools anymore as they are £45+ and do an equal job to £30 chinese tools but all my fine trimming tools are high quality japanese...why? just because I bought several very good tools about 5 years ago and they are still doing a perfect job having worked on many 100's of trees.

I like the fact that better chinese tools are available now as people are happy to buy the correct tools for the job rather than make do.

cheers Marcus
marcus watts
marcus watts

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down