Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Neea buxifolia

+3
Rob C
misfit1
Billy M. Rhodes
7 posters

Go down

Neea buxifolia Empty Neea buxifolia

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon May 13, 2013 1:49 pm

I have had this tree for some time but just put it in a Bonsai pot this spring. The tree is 21 inches high from the soil and a little over 3 inches at the base, the pot is Chinese 16 x 3.5 inches
Neea buxifolia Img_1512
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Neea buxifolia Empty Re: Neea buxifolia

Post  misfit1 Mon May 13, 2013 5:55 pm

Hi Billy,
This tree obviously has potential, but I think it will take some work to get there. First of all, when you repotted i feel you should have taken the opportunity to improve the nebari. The roots originating higher on the trunk should be removed as they seem to grow down rather than radiating out which would be more ideal. Furthermore, I think the tree should be potted deeper to encourage those roots that will produce better nebari.

Next, i think the foliage has more of a look of topiary than bonsai. I don't know anything about Neea sp., but do they backbud well? If so, maybe let the tree grow out and then cut back hard to encourage backbudding on those seemingly stiff and taperless primary branches. Then you can begin developing pads. I think you can still do clip-and-grow but in a way that is more natural than the hedge appearance that you have.

I hope you take my criticisms as help. That is the way they are intended. Good luck.

PS I like the pot!

Cory
misfit1
misfit1

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Cory

Thanks for the comments. I agree on all your points, but since it was just potted, I will wait until next spring to try anything, although I may remove some more of the roots as you suggest.

This species does tend to look topiary.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Mon May 13, 2013 7:40 pm

I think this is a Neea by Jim Smith, it is now at Heathcote Gardens in Ft.Pierce, FL.
Neea buxifolia Img_7810
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi Billy.. Misfit gave some good advice. Like you said, since it was just repotted, you are going to wait to do anything else. I would not touch those roots until the next repot. I think that all you have to do now is add another layer of soil on top. Then the roots will be buried and the ones that need to develop will. You could also add sphagnum moss around the base. However. If it was me, I would just add more soil to the top.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Plecostomus Mon May 13, 2013 10:53 pm

This is what we call in Puerto Rico an old school neea. They used to shape them like topiaries before, but it looks artificial and its not good for the tree in the future. Now we are shaping them like regular trees; choosing just the branches we need and making more space between every branch. I suggest to open every ''pom pom'' branch and try to shape them just like regular trees. It is a hard work to remove every shoot not needed, but the tree will thank you and the result will be a better and healthier structure.
Plecostomus
Plecostomus

Back to top Go down

Post  PROTONWIRA Wed May 15, 2013 12:47 pm

Hi
Do you have the picture when it having fruits ( If any)
Tks
PROTONWIRA
PROTONWIRA

Back to top Go down

Post  Billy M. Rhodes Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm

PROTONWIRA wrote:Hi
Tks

I do not, but maybe the people from Puerto Rico where it is found in nature would.
Billy M. Rhodes
Billy M. Rhodes

Back to top Go down

Post  Budi Sulistyo Mon May 20, 2013 6:07 pm

PROTONWIRA wrote:Hi
Tks

Hi Qui,

Here is the picture with fruits

Budi

Neea buxifolia Fruits11

Budi Sulistyo
Budi Sulistyo

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryan B Fri May 24, 2013 8:28 am

Hello all, let the games begin. I'm not a troll but I play one on IBC.
I think it's utter claptrap not to work the roots at this point(with proper aftercare). You're just wasting your time. When would you air layer? Now? Perhaps even later in the season? And that requires removing all nutrient tissue! Far more drastic, and yet, very few trees will be even stunted by a layer?! Remove the offending roots now, seal, pack with good moss, and save yourself some time. And incidentally, Nia look like Topiary if done POORLY, they look awesome when done right. The key is to not have balls, but pads. To sum up, Have Balls and work roots, don't have balls and finish crown.
Ryan
Http://Japanesebonsaipots.net/

Ryan B

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down