Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot

+6
MrFancyPlants
Richard S
appalachianOwl
Patrick_G
hiram
Rob C
10 posters

Go down

5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Empty 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:21 am

Hello all..I have been training it for about 5 years. It was originally purchased from Home Depot. Here are the progression pics. I basically grew an entire new tree from just buds and branchlets. In the pics at the end, the tree is not as full as it looks. However, I am keeping a moderate amount of foliage. The branches are fairly young and I want them to gain strength.
Rob
The tree as purchased
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot IMG_3782

The tree was cut back by about 75%
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot IMG_3823

I didn't like the branch on the right, so I cut it off. Also, the tree was planted in a grow pot.
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Yew2

A little over a year later, the tree reverted back to a bush.
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Yew3

The tree was cut back hard again.
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Yew6

After a couple of years in the grow pot, the tree was put in it's first bonsai pot.
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Yew6-1_zpsde5b3889

This is the tree recently out of winter storage this year.
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Y1_zps94f5ea29

Here is the current look of the tree after 4-5 hours of pruning and wiring. Still a ways to go. However, the tree is proving to be a nice shohin.
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Y2_zps610587ef
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Y3_zps55800028

Rob C

Back to top Go down

5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Empty Re: 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot

Post  hiram Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:32 am

thumbs up AWESOME, GREAT JOB AND CONGRATULATIONS. ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp ThumbsUp
hiram
hiram

Back to top Go down

5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Empty Re: 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:10 am

Thanks hiram...I think this tree might be ready to show in a couple more years.
Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Patrick_G Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:13 am

Do you happen to remember what variety this is?

Patrick_G

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:18 am

Hello Patrick...Unfortunately, I do not remember. Probably the same that are being sold at Home Depot now a days though.
Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  appalachianOwl Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:39 am

awesome, like it alot.
appalachianOwl
appalachianOwl

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 pm

Thanks appalachianOwl.. Getting my $30 worth from this tree. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Richard S Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:45 pm

Wow Rob, really excellent work.

A very good example of what can be achieved using fairly ordinary material and a reminder for novices (like myself) I guess that excellent bonsai don't necessarily have to be dug up from a mountainside or cost a small fortune!

regards

Richard

Richard S
Richard S

Back to top Go down

Post  MrFancyPlants Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:15 pm

Rob,
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you could also share some care tips as far as root reduction and soil composition for this yew. It seems quite happy with it's new home and style. I have a volunteer yew that I have raised from a seedling which seems to be doing fine, but I would be interested to hear your take.

Thanks,
David
MrFancyPlants
MrFancyPlants

Back to top Go down

Post  maraga Wed Mar 27, 2013 3:39 pm

really nice work Smile
is it me or the grow pot is smaller than the bonsai pot? Very Happy

maraga

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:50 pm

Very nice progression. For some reason I have stayed away from nursery Yews. By the way, I don't think it is show ready just yet. The foliage needs to fill in a bit more, and you need to find a nicer pot in proportion to the trees size, age and quality before you show it.

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:24 pm

MrFancyPlants wrote:Rob,
Thanks for sharing. I was wondering if you could also share some care tips as far as root reduction and soil composition for this yew. It seems quite happy with it's new home and style. I have a volunteer yew that I have raised from a seedling which seems to be doing fine, but I would be interested to hear your take.

Thanks,
David

Thank you...The tree was trained, if I remember correctly, in a mix of turface, course river sand and ,I believe, either pine of fir bark. However, the mixture held quite a bit of water and the tree seem to start declining. Fortunately around this time, the tree was due for a repot. At which point it was planted in a mix of akadama, lava rock and pumice. As always, it is all about good drainage. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:28 pm

aman wrote:Very nice progression. For some reason I have stayed away from nursery Yews. By the way, I don't think it is show ready just yet. The foliage needs to fill in a bit more, and you need to find a nicer pot in proportion to the trees size, age and quality before you show it.

Hello and thank yoo aman.. Yes, thats why I said it might be ready in a couple of years to show. The pot will be changed.. Style and quality will be better. However, size might not be negotiable. This tree barely fit in this pot. Basically, the stump right underneath the tree fills most of the pot. All the roots eminate from this. The tree has had probably close to 80% of the root ball taken away. However, on the next repot Iwil lassess the situation more.

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:29 pm

Richard S wrote:Wow Rob, really excellent work.

A very good example of what can be achieved using fairly ordinary material and a reminder for novices (like myself) I guess that excellent bonsai don't necessarily have to be dug up from a mountainside or cost a small fortune!

regards

Richard

Thank you Richard.. With a little luck, patience and time..$30 can go a long way. Very Happy
Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:31 pm

maraga wrote:really nice work Smile
is it me or the grow pot is smaller than the bonsai pot? Very Happy

Nope, the bonsai pot is smaller.. Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Empty bonsai pot

Post  abcd Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:46 am

I think it will be better if it's possible .

[img] 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Yew10[/img]
abcd
abcd

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 am

I think a perfect example of 'how to...', starting limited means/raw material
and a splendid little gem emerges

not a good job, a great job

Back to top Go down

Post  tmmason10 Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:19 pm

Excellent work Rob. You have been busy this spring.

tmmason10

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:20 am

yves71277 wrote:I think a perfect example of 'how to...', starting limited means/raw material
and a splendid little gem emerges

not a good job, a great job

Thank you yves1277.Very Happy

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:33 pm

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the previous discussion on this topic. I have added a written-out explanation of the progression on the growing bonsai website: http://www.growingbonsai.net/5-year-progression-of-a-taxus/

Here is the comparison I made:
 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Yewpre10
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  Rob C Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:55 pm

abcd wrote:I think it will be better if it's possible .

[img] 5 year progression of a Yew from Home Depot Yew10[/img]

I think so too.. I don't think the tree thinks so though..lol

Rob

Rob C

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down