Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New user Help!

5 posters

Go down

New user Help! Empty New user Help!

Post  garethj127 Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:06 pm

Very new to this. first post actually, Looking for some advice and guidance Very Happy

Bought some bonsai seeds for my girlfriend an number of years ago, via the internet. It was a pack with a book, instructions and a number of seeds. She followed the instructions, but only one seemed to take.

Four years have passed and she has not really bothered with it, and it just sits on the kitchen window sill, growing.Shes lost interest and i would like to look after it.

Unsure what type it is or what to do with it?? Any one have any tips or help????

Have some photos but unsure how to upload them as of yet..

garethj127

Back to top Go down

New user Help! Empty Re: New user Help!

Post  JimLewis Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:16 pm

Here is a tutorial on posting pics: https://ibonsaiclub.forumotion.com/t243-tutorial-on-posting-pics

Those "bonsai seeds" usually are Japanese black pine. But pictures will help.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  garethj127 Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:19 pm

New user Help! 13216

garethj127

Back to top Go down

Post  Twisted Trees Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:01 pm

More than likely black pine. Put it in the ground or an appropriately sized pot with loose granular soil and let it grow for a few years. After that begin styling.
Twisted Trees
Twisted Trees

Back to top Go down

Post  Just Mike Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:27 am

first thing to do is to get it outside...it will just linger on and eventually die even in the brightest window sill...it should be much larger than it is now after 4 years...i know that for awhile they where using jack pine seeds to package in those little kits...its hard to tell exactly at this point what type of pine it is...it is for sure a pine though...so, first thing to do is get it into a good growing environment and let it get some strength and size...not much else to do with it for now...this is going to take years by the way...and my best advice if you are interested in bonsai is to get something else to play with in the mean time...pines arent the easiest species anyway, so while this one is growing, maybe you can get your hands on some nursery stock juniper or something in the mean time...

welcome to the forum by the way...
Just Mike
Just Mike

Back to top Go down

Post  Sabi Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:09 am

Hi Gareth, this is the exact thing I did three years ago. I had no idea what bonsai was, to the extent of thinking it was a species. I also had no horticultural knowledge what so ever. I bought a pack of Bonsai seeds, potted them up and put them on my window sill, three seeds grew out of the 6-8 I got, unfortunately my cat garrotted one of them, 3 months later I put them outside. I repotted them for the first time a few weeks ago. In hindsight they could be alot bigger and healthier if I'd actually known more and listened more. Here they are

New user Help! 8468186400_d5df4865b9_z
P1120369 by mikeybonsai, on Flickr

Keeping it inside is only going to grow a weak tree, it'll be fine outside where mother nature intended. I have sent you a Private Message with a link to the progression of these two over the years.
Sabi
Sabi

Back to top Go down

Post  garethj127 Sun Mar 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Thank you for all the advice.Been in Germany so haven't received messages till now. Will follow your wise words.

garethj127

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down