Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Its probably not good enough for bonsai...

+20
BigDave
tmmason10
Andrew Legg
luc tran
KennedyMarx
lordy
Todd Ellis
Khaimraj Seepersad
Andre Beaurain
dorothy7774
John Quinn
Phillip Elliott
fiona
will baddeley
marcus watts
leatherback
drgonzo
mambo
EpicusMaximus
Max
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Its probably not good enough for bonsai... - Page 3 Empty Re: Its probably not good enough for bonsai...

Post  leatherback Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 pm

Hey Max,

Me once again. I would be seriously interested in seeing some of the more mature trees you have developed. You have some to show?

Cheers,

Jelle.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Its probably not good enough for bonsai... - Page 3 Empty Re: Its probably not good enough for bonsai...

Post  Max Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:39 pm

leatherback wrote:Hey Max,

Me once again. I would be seriously interested in seeing some of the more mature trees you have developed. You have some to show?

Cheers,

Jelle.

Jelle, my website is currently arising.
Fiona helped me to proofread my english.
So I will soon have an english website with many photos.

You can have a look to my german site if you want but this is not realy finished as well since I have to bring my trees to a photostudio.
May be these sites will interest you:
http://maxengels.de/services.html
http://maxengels.de/gallery.html
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:57 pm

luc tran wrote:Hi Max,

It's good to be confidence, likewise its also good to be humble.

I appreciate an artists whom have clear ideas about what they want, but I am more appreciative of artists whom can explain the concepts of why and what they intend to do with the tree. It clears up a lot of questions regarding the development of the tree. Artisitcally everyone see things differently, but to make another aware of your own artistry is what I think is a big part of Bonsai. We use rules and guidelines as standards to judge, and its not bad to challenge them, but please say why.

Best of luck to your tree.

Luc

Luc,

1. I will not air layer it becaue this is a technique which is extremely risky with any oak especially when it allready has bark
and also especially in the german climate. I thought most people would know that.
2. I don't want it to become bigger for the told reasons.
3. I want the tree to look like my virtual shows but with the difference that the branches shall not build strict levels but look a bit more orderless like a natural oak at the end. This to my mind is absolutely possible.
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:07 pm

Andre Beaurain wrote:Max

I have my doubts that this is an Turkey Oak. Your leaves on your stunning tree is NOT that of a normal Turkey Oak.
In the Turkey Oak the leaves are much more lobed, and the lobed points are also more pointed, the entire leave is much narrower than other Oaks.
More likely to be either Quercus robur ( English Oak) Same leave
or Quercus pyrenaica....the grey bark, speaks of this oak. and the same leave as the English Oak.
Of course the acorn will settle this problem....what does it look like?
The Caucasian Oak also has the same leave...but this tree is very rare.
I agree with Will......whats wrong with ascending branches?

Andre,
it can definetely not be a Quercus robur which grows everywhere in Germany and as a bonsai develops much slower than this oak.
Also I don't think its a Quercus pyrenaica as the leaves look quite different. So do the branches since they start quite early with getting bark.
I never saw a Quercus bonsai which got acorns! Did you realy ever saw one? Please show it!..
Quercus macranthera has different leaves, different branches, different bark.
Probably my quercus cerris is a hybrid which is quite usual for this species.
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  mambo Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:22 pm

[quote="Max"]

Andre,
it can definetely not be a Quercus robur which grows everywhere in Germany and as a bonsai develops much slower than this oak.
Also I don't think its a Quercus pyrenaica as the leaves look quite different. So do the branches since they start quite early with getting bark.
I never saw a Quercus bonsai which got acorns! Did you realy ever saw one? Please show it!..

Hi Max,

I have a quercus ilex that develops acorns and a quercus robur that also does. I never took the trouble to photograph them with the acorns on so you will just have to take my word for it. If these are pinched back, you will not get acorns but for branches that are allowed to grow on, they will produce acorns.

Last edited by mambo on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

mambo

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:25 pm

I believe you, mambo!
Be so kind post a pic when its having acorns again! I would love to see it!
Especially the robur!

[quote="mambo"]
Max wrote:

Andre,

Hi Max,

I have a quercus ilex that develops acorns and a quercus robur that also does. I never took the trouble to photograph them with the acorns on so you will just have to takee my word for it. If these are pinched back, you will not get acorns but for branches that are allowed to grow on, they will produce acorns.
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  leatherback Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:50 am

Hi Max,

Thank you for the link. I like the style yo have choosen for the website!

Nice to see you had such a good time travelling Asia. Just as a friendly note: If this is going to be your business website, consider reducing the number of pictures on Asia somewhat, especially on the non-bonsai items. It almost feels like a travel journal; But that may of course be exactly what you are aiming for!

Ein schönes Wochenende!,

Jelle.
leatherback
leatherback

Back to top Go down

Post  mambo Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:23 pm

[quote="Max"]I believe you, mambo!
Be so kind post a pic when its having acorns again! I would love to see it!
Especially the robur!

[quote="mambo"][quote="Max"]

]

I am re-growing and thickening a branch on the Ilex and that one has produced acorns for the last 4 or 5 years or so as I do not prune it.

Last year, after years of bugging me to sell it to him, I "gave" the Robur to a very good friend of mine. He can enjoy it until he is too old to do bonsai (he is almost 70 now). Then I will get it back. I am hoping he will enjoy it for another 20 years. I was at his house yesterday and he told me he was going to let it loose this year so that it will produce acorns. I will try and remember at the right time.

mambo

Back to top Go down

Its probably not good enough for bonsai... - Page 3 Empty sigh...

Post  I Cut too much Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:42 am

Young man, as i told you in your last thread, "Without refinement, there is no gold." This not only applies to bonsai, but to you as a human. LEARN to take advice. The folks on here are like a nice bonsai (old, seasoned, veterans) If you are teachable, you will learn. ThumbsUp Have a nice day!

I Cut too much

Back to top Go down

Its probably not good enough for bonsai... - Page 3 Empty oaks dont air layer?

Post  DuncanJH Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:35 am

Hello I'm new here, so have lots of questions!

Max you said air layering oaks is risky, would ground layering (http://www.bonsai4me.co.uk/AdvTech/ATNebari.html) be as risky? This is not a suggestion for you, it is a question for me Smile Though if it were safe, it may give you nice nebari (like most of the oaks around here). Love your tree!
DuncanJH
DuncanJH

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:45 pm

Hi Duncan,
thanks for your feedback!
Well, in my opinion this technique has another problem as oaks often have too heavy bark for new roots...
Making new roots out of nowhere simply doesn't work for most oaks. So don't risk a tree just because it works once in a thousand times.
The results I know are also not very good-looking.

BW
Max

Pic from today
Its probably not good enough for bonsai... - Page 3 Dsc_0012
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  DuncanJH Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:27 pm

Wow thanks for the speedy reply!
That makes sense, will it be true for most "thick bark" trees? And by "not very good looking" do you mean the new roots are too thin or unrealistic for an oak?

Your tree looks much more natural (to me) at this angle, and the bark at the bottom is already starting to blend in nicely! How long ago was it planted in deeper soil if you don't mind me asking?
DuncanJH
DuncanJH

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Fri Aug 02, 2013 7:41 pm

Hi Duncan,
at least this is true for many or even most "thick bark" trees...
By "not very good looking" I mean the results I know so far all just made a few roots without any symmetry.
My tree was repotted this spring. Wink 

BW
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Andrew Legg Sat Aug 10, 2013 10:04 pm

Hi Max,

I'm interested in your saying layering will not work on "thick bark" trees. Is this from experience? I have got many olives to root and they have thick bark. I do want to layer a cork-bark elm, so your statement confuses me. I can't understand why thick bark is an issue as bark is after all just a dead outer layer. Does it matter whether this is thick or thin if it is dead? Perhaps oaks don't layer well because they are oaks, and not because they have thick bark?

Cheers,

Andrew

Andrew Legg

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:21 am

Would not simply planting it deeper in a deeper pot make it more visually appealing?  At a point above where the inverse taper starts. Great bark on this guy. It looks strange to see it end at the current planting depth.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Sun Aug 11, 2013 10:56 am

Andrew, I didn't write layering will not work on thick bark trees. I wrote: "this is true for many or even most "thick bark" trees".
This is not only my own experience but also common knowledge I thought. I made this experience over the last 10 years with surely about 30 trees of different species. Of course this is still not scientifically approved. So feel free to make your own experience.

Jkd2572, I am looking forward to your virtual showing a fitting higher pot...

bw
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Max Sun Aug 11, 2013 11:13 am

Andrew, I forgot to write if you do everything properly you will for sure not have any problems with an elm or an olive.
So don't feel scared because of my statement. Wink 

bw
Max
Max
Max

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3