Internet Bonsai Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

+95
kingsnake
Tom
MKBonsai
BrianS
manumidam
Chris Cochrane
Intricate Simplicity
chench53
KyleT
Maros Belan
DjTommy
Bolero
Gonetopot
Rick36
M. Frary
Van
Toshiro
fiona
Precarious
drbuzzbee
geo
LanceMac10
MichaelS
kimo
Chellis
Leo Schordje
FrankP999
dick benbow
BrianG
crust
TN Jim
Seth Ellwood
Wander
peterkang
Judgie
Kevin S - Wisco Bonsai
Vance Wood
JMcCoy
brett2013
GerhardGerber
lordy
Eric Group
my nellie
steveb
Jaybird
Todd Ellis
jgeanangel
Daygan
AlainK
Richard S
Randy_Davis
Robert J. Baran
David Brunner
William N. Valavanis
Jkd2572
Dale Cochoy
Jesse McMahon
prestontolbert
yamasuri
bingregory
Stephen Krall
DougB
Ashiod
JADunnagan
sayotefries
JudyB
Dan W.
Khaimraj Seepersad
DuncanJH
Dave Murphy
monte
MikeG
augustine
Russell Coker
Kev Bailey
lennard
BigDave
Marty Weiser
Smithy
coh
tmmason10
dorothy7774
gman
Dave Leppo
hometeamrocker
bwaynef
Billy M. Rhodes
Walter Pall
Sam Ogranaja
JimLewis
MartinSweeney
bonsaisr
Auballagh
John Quinn
Arthur Joura
99 posters

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty Re: American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

Post  Dave Murphy Wed Oct 09, 2013 12:24 pm

Great story...I'll be sure to spend a little extra time examining that stand this coming weekend;) .

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty 2013 Carolina Bonsai Expo

Post  Arthur Joura Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:30 pm

Dave - Thank you for your reply, and I hope you enjoyed the show!

The 18th annual Carolina Bonsai Expo has come and gone, and was by any measure another great success! The time leading up to the weekend was a crush, the weekend itself was a blur, and now the aftermath of it is a slog. There is so much to do, putting things back to normal and handling the followup paperwork that normally accompanies an enterprise of this scale. One good thing I can say about the "mop up" phase in which I currently find myself is that it is less pressurized than the phases that preceded it. Of course, people like to be paid, so I cannot drag my feet too much...

By now readers of this forum and other Internet bonsai sites have seen numerous photographs from the event. These images seem to focus mainly on trees and I am thankful for that, because I have very few bonsai images to offer. Typically I do a poor job of recording the Expo in photographs, because in the rush of tending to the maintenance of the event I often forget to take any, or I take only a few. This year I tried to be more conscious of capturing images, but my interest was strongly toward depicting what was happening, and the people involved. This should not be surprising. My main concern during the weekend is managing the smooth operation of the event, and much of that comes down to working with the people who are my partners in producing the show and making sure the visitors are enjoying their experience. In this context, the bonsai on display are secondary, even though they are the subject around which the whole event is organized.

So, I am glad that others took pictures of the displays and have posted them here and elsewhere. One of the people at the show toting a nice camera and seemingly doing a good job of documenting the trees and exhibits was IBC-regular, Sam Ogranaja. I have asked him to add his images to this thread as a counterbalance to what I will post, so that together we may offer a comprehensive picture of the 2013 Carolina Bonsai Expo weekend. I hope Sam will include images of the various club displays in their entirety, because the Expo is rightly known as a place where bonsai display takes on a decidedly contemporary, creative and non-Asian appearance. Getting good images of these displays is difficult, however, for a number of reasons. Hopefully Sam was able to do that and we will see if they accurately convey at least some of the effect the several fine club displays offered in this year's show.

What follows records the view I had of the weekend.

Expo exhibitors and vendors set up on Friday, beginning at 9:00 AM, so everything must be in place for them before I leave work on Thursday night. Here is a view of one part of the Bonsai Marketplace, set up and waiting to be filled:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 A11

Here are 2 different views of the Main Exhibit area:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 B10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 C10

The vendors and exhibitors arrive throughout the day on Friday and get themselves situated in their proper locations. It is an amazingly process and I wish I could show you a few pictures of them doing it, but I am nowhere near that scene most of the day, and when I do pass through I try to keep moving so that no one can catch me! Really, it is most impressive the way the show comes together and the willing spirit of cooperation employed by all involved. There is ample opportunity for aggression and unpleasant behavior, but the people involved do a remarkable job of regulating themselves and acting in harmony.

On Friday night we have a Social event, exclusively for all those people who haul in and set up the club displays and the vendors' booths. It is not a big deal, just an opportunity for the people most responsible for the show to relax after a busy day and get to know one another a little better:  

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 D10

We provide a little light food and drink and a bit of entertainment. In previous years the entertainment took the form of live music, but this year we featured a digital slide presentation by Randy Clark, who recounted tales of his recent trip to China to be a demonstrator at the 7th World Bonsai Friendship Federation Convention:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 E10

After everyone else leaves to go get some sleep, I get to stick around and put the finishing touches on the show in advance of the next day's opening. I should hasten to point out that I am not alone in doing this. My good friend, Cindy Blankenship, who is the Arboretum's Special Events Coordinator, devotes as much time and energy to the Expo as I do and is there late every night of the show. I also had the help of my assistant, Joshua Dunnagan, and the 3 of us were there until midnight putting together the plant list we make available to Expo attendees. I have no pictures to show of this, which is just as well because it is no fun at all.

Saturday morning at 9:00 we had a workshop with PA bonsai professional Jim Doyle, from Nature's Way Nursery. Jim is a great guy and a longtime friend to me and to the NC Arboretum. He was an Expo guest artist in 2001 and has returned each year, participating as an exhibitor (with the Susquehanna Bonsai Society), a vendor, a presenter and a teacher. Here he is, on the far right, with his students (don't ask):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 F10

Meanwhile, in a different building we were offering a free demonstration in ikebana. Since 2002 the Expo has included a wonderful ikebana display provided by the Asheville Chapter of Ikebana International, and we coordinate with that same group to have an ikebana expert provide an educational demonstration. This year's ikebana artist was Susan Cano, seen here at work on one of several pieces she created during her program:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 G10

Not long after the ikebana demonstration finished we had our Expo Main Event program, which is provided each year by our Carolina Bonsai Expo guest artist. This year's guest artist was Rodney Clemons of Stone Mountain, GA. Rodney is a talented, well-traveled bonsai professional with an easy going and very agreeable personality. He is a fine and patient teacher and gives an excellent demonstration. Rodney is an expert in the design of Littleleaf Boxwood, which he usually styles into forms representing the Live Oak trees he grew up admiring. It just so happened that we had an outstanding piece of old boxwood material for Rodney to work on, and he went to town:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 H10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 I11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 J11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 K10

Rodney's decision to allow this specimen to have 2 apexes provoked an interesting discussion and a certain level of disagreement. It should be understood by all that he made this choice quite knowingly, and provoking discussion was not the least of his reasons for doing so. Even though the demonstration was more than 4 hours in duration the tree was brought only to a partial level of completion (as all demonstration trees are!) Rodney intends to return in a month or so to continue to refine the design. The new bonsai is planted in a Dale Cochoy pot:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 L10

While all this was taking place, in another building the vendors were enjoying brisk traffic in the Bonsai Marketplace:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 M10

The Marketplace provides a valuable service to our visitors and the members of participating clubs by offering a wide range of essential bonsai goods at competitive prices, all in one place. Quality bonsai materials are not so easily available in this part of the country, but for one weekend every year we have an excellent assortment from which to choose! A new vendor at the Expo this year was Julian Adams (Adams' Bonsai) out of Lynchburg, VA:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 O10

Roger Lehman (Meco Bonsai) from Lancaster, PA is a regular vendor at the Expo and a true supporter of bonsai at the NC Arboretum:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 N10

After a long day demonstrating, Rodney was right back to work in the evening, conducting a walk-through critique of the bonsai on display:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 P10

This critique program is only for the members of clubs participating in the Expo and is not available to the general public. I think it is one of the best educational components of the Expo in that it allows people to get direct, specific information about their plants and displays from artists of national and international reputation. Over the years Expo exhibitors have been exposed to a wide range of ideas and opinions from many different artists, which I think is an excellent way to learn. Here Rodney gives his opinion on the display presented by the Black Creek Bonsai Study Group of Columbia, SC, which he chose to award as "Best In Show, Group Display":

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Q10

The critique closes out the Saturday activities, but we are right back at it 9:00 Sunday morning. Here is Rodney Clemons again, this time leading a "bring your own" workshop:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 R10

Simultaneous to the workshop, there were 2 more free educational programs offered on Sunday. The first was "The Art of Bonsai Display" by Owen Reich, proprietor of Bonsai Unearthed. Owen is an up and coming bonsai professional from Nashville, TN, who has apprenticed in Japan. Owen tends to follow the Japanese way of bonsai, which is not surprising considering his apprenticeship, but he is not closed off to other interpretations. He gave a very thorough and well illustrated lecture on bonsai display, beginning with the traditional Japanese example and then branching out to other forms:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 S10

Early Sunday afternoon I took part in the second free program of the day, joining my good friends John Geanangel and Ken Duncan, both of the Black Creek Study Group to do a tray landscape presentation entitled "Forty Acre Rock". (John G. is the one wearing a sling on his arm, which he damaged fending off an avid admirer who was driven into a frenzy upon hearing the mellow tones of his distinctive voice, so familiar to the many fans of his video productions - "Hey, this is John..." ) This was a very enjoyable experience, as it always is when I get to work with them, and I think what we created is a unique and effective piece. I will post separately about this later, but here is an image of the 3 of us at work on the project:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 T10

The concluding program of the Expo is always the live auction, and it is a favorite part of the event for many attendees. Throughout the year generous people make donations to the bonsai program at the Arboretum of items such as plants, pots, stands and the like, and I stash them away for the Expo auction. The money generated by this activity is an important part of the financial structure that supports the event. We are extremely fortunate in having 2 of the most animated and entertaining auctioneers you are ever likely to find at a bonsai event, and they know what they are doing, too. This year's auction, like all of its predecessors, was quite successful. Here is Jim Doyle and Randy Clark, in action (the head gear is a "thing" of theirs, and changes year to year):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 U10

After the auction concludes we have a raffle and hand out the "People's Choice" award, then I say a few words of thanks and invite everyone to come back and do it all again next year. The only picture I have of any of that is this one, which shows John Geanangel standing by his big Baldcypress, which was this year's "People's Choice" winner:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Img_6110

I do not have any images of the show being taken down, which probably is not anything anybody wants to see anyway, but that part of the event is no less amazing than any other. All those displays and all the vending booths get taken apart and brought out to waiting cars, vans and trucks in about an hour and a half, and the whole process is conducted with the greatest patience and cooperation imaginable. The Expo is the product of a remarkably harmonious collaboration between many individuals and organizations, in consort with the NC Arboretum, and the result is a truly unique and enjoyable bonsai experience. I am proud to be a part of it.

Just so no one thinks I ignored the show trees altogether, here is a picture of a couple from the display provided by the Knoxville Bonsai Society from TN:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 V10

The ribbon designates the Rocky Mountain Juniper (Juniperus scopulorum) as the "Best In Show, Individual", as selected by guest artist Rodney Clemons. That tree belongs to Shannon Sayler, who has been coming to the Expo since he was a teenager. He missed this one, however, because he was off on his honeymoon! It was a good weekend for Shannon - he got lucky twice.

Have at it, Sam...
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty Re: American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:11 pm

THANK YOU !!! VERY MUCH !!

Loved the noses, and wished we had box wood of that age and quality.
Awaiting Sam.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Murphy Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:11 am

Arthur, it was my third time attending the Expo, and the second time participating as a member of the Atlanta Bonsai Society.  You and your staff do an AWESOME job putting on a great show, and I want to let you know how much it is appreciated.  See you next year!

Dave Murphy

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:24 am

Just thanks, Arthur.
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  John Quinn Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:19 am

Thanks for the photos and for hosting the Expo! Great job, as usual. Congrats to John G and Ken D as well!
John Quinn
John Quinn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sam Ogranaja Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:07 am

At Arthur's request here are some of my photos.

There was quite a few Lego sculptures throughout the grounds

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_10

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_11

Here are the full displays and I'll throw in a few details that caught my eye. I made a real noob photographer mistake in that I took detail shots first thing in the morning and decided to wait to get the full display shots when more people showed up. You know, to practice my patience. I had to wait 12 minutes for people to clear the Nashville Bonsai Society display. I thought about asking them to move but took the moments to calm down and wait Smile

Atlanta Bonsai Society:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_12

Black Creek Study Group: Awesome group of guys
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_13

Blue Ridge Bonsai Society:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_14

Bonsai Society of the Carolinas:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_15

Cape Fear Bonsai Society:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_16

Hinoki Bonsai Club:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_17

Knoxville Bonsai Society:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_18

Mid-Appalachian Bonsai Kai:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_19

Mountain Empire Bonsai Society "front: view:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_21

Mountain Empire Bonsai Society "back" view:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_20

Nashville Bonsai Society:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_22

Piedmont NC Bonsai Association:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_23

Susquehanna Bonsai Club:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_24

Triangle Bonsai Society - my club display:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_25

Virginia Bonsai Society:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_26

Some detail shots:

Jim Lewis's unCrape Crape Myrtle:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_27

Smashing Juniper in Blue Ridge Bonsai Society display:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_42

John Genangel's amazing Bald Cypress:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_28

Chunky Azalea:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_29

I really liked this little tree:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_30

Detail on a Rocky Mountain Juniper collected by Randy Knight:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_31

Ponderosa Pine ?: It was with the Nashville Bonsai Society.
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_32

Owen Reich told me, but I can't remember this species. Amazing tree nonetheless:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_33

This was on Susquehanna Bonsai Club display: Hinoki?
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_34

The finest Arakawa bonsai I've laid eyes on. This side of the pond anyway:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_35

Additional detail:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_36

Additional detail: Can you tell I REALLY REALLY liked this tree?
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_37

Also with Susquehanna Bonsai. I'm pretty sure whoever was carrying this guy went to the chiropractor the next day. This was a HOSS of a tree:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_38

Sweet little Trident at the Mountain Empire bonsai display:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_39

I'm not good with plant names but Hornbeam? Beautiful tree:
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_40

Again, unsure. Elm?
American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Small_41

That's it friends.

Once again, big THANKS to Arthur for putting this Expo on for 18 years now. Of course it requires effort on many people but without Arthurs vision and extremely detailed emails that he sends out, it wouldn't go as smoothly or as awesomely. What, it's a word!!!!
Have a great weekend!!!
Sam
Sam Ogranaja
Sam Ogranaja

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:32 am

Thank you very much, Sam!!!!!!!
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  prestontolbert Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:43 am

Well done Arthur! The expo was excellent! I was in Rodney's BYO workshop, and it was tons of fun and I learned a huge amount. I was writing notes like crazy after the workshop just to try to retain it. This year I got a membership to the Arboretum and you can bet I will use it.
-PT
prestontolbert
prestontolbert

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:40 pm

Great job, as always, Arthur. The Expo and handicapped accommodations were exceptional.

And Sam thanks for the great pictures. Would make a great presentation at a TBS meeting. See you there.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

Post  Jesse McMahon Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:52 pm

I'm with everyone else here...thank you for an excellent weekend! It's become one of my yearly high points to attend and be a part of such an amazing gathering. Thanks again to both Arthur and Sam for taking the time to document and share with the rest of us here. I never seem to have time to get pictures of everything I intend to capture.
Jesse McMahon
Jesse McMahon

Back to top Go down

Post  Dale Cochoy Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:31 am

Arthur, Wonderful photography throughout this entire thread!!!
Dale Cochoy
Dale Cochoy

Back to top Go down

Post  Stephen Krall Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:21 am

Thanks Arthur and Sam for posting about the expo this year. While my society (VBS) was able to attend this year I was unable to attend. It is one of the highlights of my year and I will be making every effort to make it back next year.

Thanks again,

Steve
Stephen Krall
Stephen Krall

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty Autumn Review, part 1

Post  Arthur Joura Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:01 pm

Thank you to Khaimraj, Dave, Jim, John Q., Preston, Doug, Jesse, Dale and Stephen for reading and commenting about the Carolina Bonsai Expo! Special thanks to my friend Sam Ogranaja for sharing all his pictures of the group displays and individual trees - I appreciate it Sam.

I spend the time immediately following the Expo more or less decompressing from all the effort expended leading up to the big weekend. It is a favorite time of year because the Expo is big hurdle to clear and everything typically goes well with it, the trees in the collection have ceased growing so maintenance is greatly reduced, and to top it all off the great and beautiful rush of autumn coloration comes along and washes everything with the ephemeral glow of seasonal change. For me, it is a time for slowing down, getting out on as many walks into nature as possible, and taking lots and lots of photographs.

Autumn was a mixed bag this year in this part of the world, which I will explain by and by. The leaf coloration was not as good as it has been in recent years, but it was still wonderful, and if you are careful where you point your camera the photographic record can be made to tell picturesque lies to share and enjoy for years to come.

Here is a sampling of images made in the Bonsai Exhibition Garden over the last 4 weeks:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 A12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 B11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 C11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 D11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 E11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 F11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 G11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 H11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 I12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 J12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 K11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 L11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 M11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 N11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 O11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 P11

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Q11
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty Autumn Review, part 2

Post  Arthur Joura Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:45 pm

Learning to walk is a big milestone in a person's life. It is one of the earliest things we are taught to do, and at least for awhile everyone around you makes a big fuss about you being able to do it, even if you are not very good at it and fall down a lot. But then, by the time you develop any proficiency at walking no one seems to care anymore, and being ambulatory is more or less taken for granted (unless you are one of the unfortunate people who is not.) Then in your mid to late teens you learn how to drive and with that the idea of walking anywhere takes a back seat, so to speak. In the culture in which I live, there are many people who walk no further than they absolutely have to, and depend on machines to take them everywhere else they need to go.

I love to walk. In city, town or country, day or night, I find that walking lets me take in the world at an understandable pace. And for relaxation and refreshment, a chance to release stress and clear my mind, nothing is better than walking in nature. When I am out walking in the forests that blanket the mountains here in this part of the world, my spirit is revived. Being in nature is a multi-sensory experience, with things to see, hear, smell, taste and touch. Out of this experience comes a feeling, and born of this feeling is the desire to communicate its meaning to others. It was for this very purpose that humans invented art, in all its varied forms.

It is only my opinion, but I think bonsai at its roots is an attempt by humans to express to other humans an experience of nature. That was how it began. A great deal of other stuff has been added to the equation over the years, so that now there are a good many people who do bonsai that has little or nothing to do with the natural example, and if this pleases them it is all well and good. For me, however, the connection to a personal experience of nature is what makes bonsai worthwhile.

When I go walking in the forest I always have my bonsai eyes open. Everywhere there are lessons to be learned - in the way trees are shaped by environmental forces, the way that old trees differ from the younger of their kind, the way trees in a group relate to each other, the way a certain tree and a nearby shrub make a compelling combination, the movement of a branch, the power of roots clutching the earth, the folds in a rock, the shadow of a fern on the soft surface of a patch of moss...

The following selection of photographs were made on several mountain walks I took in the last few weeks. Some are just pretty scenes or compositions with pleasing colors, but others are reminders to me of details to be remembered, and lessons worth learning:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 A13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 B12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 C12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 D12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 E12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 F12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 G12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 H12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 I13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 J13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 K12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 L12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 M12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 N12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 O12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 P12

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Q12
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:38 pm

Arthur,

very refreshing!
Presently we are just rain, and it is very cool as the temperature goes, so I am loving it.
In a few weeks our Immortelles will drop all of their leaves and go into bloom, a vivid orange
and a mild yellow. Then many other trees will follow.

It was amazing to see the maple leaves with the stone.

Thank you very much.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  JimLewis Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 am

Loved the mossy rocks!
JimLewis
JimLewis

Back to top Go down

Post  dorothy7774 Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:02 am

Arthur Joura wrote:..
Here is a sampling of images made in the Bonsai Exhibition Garden over the last 4 weeks..
What a beautiful place! So well kept. Thanks for the pictures.

Best,
Dorothy
dorothy7774
dorothy7774

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:58 am

I'm going there next week. Can't wait.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty Autumn Review, part 3

Post  Arthur Joura Wed Nov 20, 2013 6:56 pm

Kaimraj, Jim, Dorothy and Jeremy - Thank you for continuing to follow this thread and posting your responses!

I mentioned earlier that this autumn season was not as brilliant as some others of recent years in this part of the world, and such is the truth. I hesitate to make that comment because there have been some years where the leaf color seemed wonderful to me, but I would encounter individuals who held that it was less so, and they would use the same language to express their disappointment - "The colors are not as good this year..."

Certainly, to some extent every thing we look at we see subjectively, so our moods and expectations and the natural enhancements of our memories may color the scene before our eyes every bit as much as does the change of the season. We are also, I think, prejudiced in our perceptions of such effects as autumn coloration by the influence of photography, and to a lesser extent, other pictorial representations. These manipulated images give us an idealized view that reality is usually hard pressed to equal. Still, there are years when the scenery is more colorful and years when it is less so, and this year was not outstanding.

I have read some opinions that years of abundant or excessive rainfall can adversely affect autumnal leaf coloration, and North Carolina experienced abnormally wet conditions through most of the year, so perhaps that was at play. There was also a sudden and dramatic drop in temperature a couple of nights late in October, where temperatures went from being in the upper 40's and low 50's (Fahrenheit) to the low 30's and upper 20's, and this had a noticeably detrimental effect on many plants just on the verge of changing colors. Several bonsai in the Arboretum's collection were high profile examples of this.

Our Ginkgo (Ginkgo biloba), which usually spends a week showing off like this:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 A14

instead this year had this appearance:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 B13

And our Natchez Crape Myrtle (Lagerstroemia X 'Natchez'), which usually shines like this:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 C14

turned up one morning sulking like this:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 D13

Hard to argue that these trees did not show better last year than this! Even among those specimens that were not directly zapped by the freeze and heavy frost, the overall coloration was duller, largely favoring muted yellows over the more showy reds. Comparisons aside, however, we still had an overall attractive autumn season. Here are some selections of pieces as they appeared on display in the Bonsai Exhibition Garden during the last part of October and the early part of November:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 E13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 F13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 G13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 H13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 I14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 J14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 K13

Worth noting, 2 specimens in particular had outstanding color this year, as good as they ever have had. The first is a Tamarack (Larix laricina) and the second is Amur Maple (Acer ginnala):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 L13

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 M13

Is it merely a coincidence that both these species originated in parts of the world much colder than we typically experience in western NC?

The Arboretum's collection includes many more specimens than we have room to exhibit in the garden, and some of these other bonsai presented respectfully this autumn.

Allegheny Serviceberry (Amelanchier laevis):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 N13

Winged Elm (Ulmus alata):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 O13

Witch Alder (Fothergilla major):

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 P13

To conclude this autumn rumination, I offer this image of a Mountain Dwarfdandelion (Krigia montana) and a few accompanying thoughts:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Q13

Autumn, like spring, is a transitional season, a bridge between the two other, more substantial seasons, and all four together make up a full rotation around the sun in the temperate places on earth. The two transitional seasons spend a fair amount of their allotted time mimicking the seasons that precede and follow them, so that the beginning of autumn feels very much like summer and the last part of autumn can be as bitter as winter. In our idealized vision of "Autumn", the deciduous trees are ablaze in the glories of that spectrum of the rainbow that covers everything from the coolest of yellows to the warmest of reds, and the air is a pleasing combination of the best attributes of both warm and cool. Yet the bulk of the time in that particular season is otherwise. The brightest colors show themselves for only a few weeks before continuing inexorably to the dullness of decay, and the mildest of days occupy only a short path between an expanse of heat on one side and an expanse of cold on the other. It is the ephemeral nature of autumn and spring that endears them to those of us who experience them. They come, and then before you know it, they are gone.

At the end of spring, a person looks ahead to the promise of a long season of growth and life.

At the end of autumn, there is not so much to which we look forward as there is that which we look back upon.

As such, a person in autumn is well served to remember that life is cyclical, and is forever going around!
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  DougB Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:16 pm

Thanks Arthur. Sometimes it is comforting to have a subtle transition and not be jolted by the difference. Enjoy the winter with its exposed architecture. I for one love to see the trees without the clothes.
DougB
DougB

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty Bonsai at the NC Arboretum

Post  bonsaisr Thu Nov 21, 2013 3:16 am

Then there is Central NY. We have a few days of autumn, then winter, and a few days of spring before summer. My larches had their lovely golden dresses for about a week. I rarely get good fall color on the bonsai. Last year my Chinese elm & daphne spirea were gorgeous, this year blah.
And you wonder why I grow tropicals? My Serissa is in bloom, slightly. Several orchids in bloom to enjoy.
Iris
bonsaisr
bonsaisr

Back to top Go down

Post  Jkd2572 Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:34 am

I'm going the Saturday after thanksgiving, because I will be in the area already. Probably not the time of year to pick if I was flying there to go as my main purpose of being there. I will enjoy what is there no matter. Branch structure is fun to look at as well.

Jkd2572

Back to top Go down

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Empty First Kiss of Winter

Post  Arthur Joura Wed Nov 27, 2013 6:24 pm

Thank you Doug, Iris and Jeremy for sharing your comments.

Winter arrived this week, announcing itself with a blast of bitter temperature the other night. Then we had a long, cold rain all day yesterday, and overnight gusting winds with a dusting of snow. When I came to work this morning the Bonsai Exhibition Garden was still locked and not a soul was in sight. The bonsai are still on display, due to be put into overwintering storage next Monday. It is not a frequent sight to see snow when the garden is fully stocked with bonsai, so I took the opportunity to take many photographs and I offer this selection now for your enjoyment:

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 A15

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 B14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 C15

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 D14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 E14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 F14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 G14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 H15

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 I15

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 J15

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 K15

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 L14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 M14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 N14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 O14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 P14

American Bonsai at the NC Arboretum - Page 5 Q14
Arthur Joura
Arthur Joura

Back to top Go down

Post  Khaimraj Seepersad Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Beautiful Arthur!!

Thank you, brought back memories of Philadelphia and Florence [ Italy ].
Today, it is all day rain and high 70's deg.F.
Love it.
Painting and living the good life.
Looing forward to Jan.2nd when I start to repot.
Later.
Khaimraj
Khaimraj Seepersad
Khaimraj Seepersad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next